180° Wide Angle / Dual-Lens Cameras - Best thing ever?

marty9876

n3wb
Reaction score
Forgive me, I got a little lost in research/searching on this.

Are these cameras awesome or are there some cons one should be aware of when purchasing these?

Assuming appropriate use case (Eg not covering just a door), the pros I’m thinking are much less installation efforts (less cable runs, less camera installs etc). I get the loads on the NVR can be less, I’d have a small system with overkill hardware so no concerns there.

Cons I’m guessing is perhaps focus issues/alerting challenges? Anything to that, I’m making up stuff?

Example unit

appreciate an feedback!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you seen the thread on this?

Remember no camera is perfect - if you do not have enough light or do not want to use the built-in white light, then this isn't the correct camera for you. It needs some light and cannot see infrared.

This camera isn't magic and won't read plates.

There will be some slight bending on either side.

Some complain that the camera makes people look too skinny.

Like any fixed lens, IDENTIFY is going to be tough much past 15 feet.

So look at the review thread and compare to your situation and decide if it is the right camera for your needs. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't.

But like any camera, a great camera used the wrong way or the wrong field of view will result in poor performance.

But in the right field of view and circumstances, it is a great camera.

marty9876

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you - I started in on that thread and get lost with all the different models. My simple brain has concluded just buy Empire Tech gear ;)

Per your cliff notes, if I wanted night vision via IR (cabin use, want to capture bears and alike at night) then the white light/dual lens cameras are a non starter - correct?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is correct, you will have to stay away from any camera labeled Full Color, ColorVu, etc. as they do not see infrared.

Your best bet would be the 5442 series and then flash it with older firmware and then resist the urge to update the firmware:

marty9876

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome - thank you very much. For a very part time amateur NVR/camera guy this place rocks for information!