18TB drives in Hikvision 7732 NVR ?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Parley said he is running 12TB drives without issue, 18TB shouldn't be a problem then?

I wouldn't think that our tiny NVR setups would need enterprise SSD storage. 99% of the time the drives are just writing data, and the MB/s is rather miniscule even for 20-30 cams. The hardware decoder in the NVR is the real bottleneck.
Engineering wise, they should have used SAS interface in the first place because the write/read wait state of the half-duplex SATA connection has a wait state that would not be present and have to cache the constant streams while servicing other hard drive demands such as remote video retrieval and past event viewing. Live Viewing does not acesss the disk.

I think it will recognize the disk, but only format it to its highest filesystem storage value. Partitioning it might let you get all of it. You will have to see since I haven't ran across someone putting a bigger disk in these. In the older models, if you put a 10TB in , it only formats it to 8TB

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
It may be possible with the latest firmware to use a larger disc drive than was originally intended for the NVR. Something to look into.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Not trying to go off topic but with all the wisdom in here.....curiously......whats the current limitation on Win 10/11 Pro PC's from dell and HP and lenovo type machines?