1st NVR Setup

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've done some reading and think I have it narrowed down... My mother has charged me with the task of setting up a nice security system for our family furniture store... I wanted to go with 16 of these Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I and set them up POE...

The NVR I was going with was going to be Dahua 7216 and have two WD Purple 4TB hard drives in there.

The breakroom - 2 Cameras - probably two 2.8mm cams one over the door left front corner facing the back right corner and one on the back left corner facing the front right corner.

The Warehouse - 4 Cameras - probably (two) 2.8's or 4mm's on the back wall high up going down the two isles straight toward the glass wall or I can put them in the opposite back corners. And then one focused directly on the door when someone comes in... Probably a 4mm for that one and then another 2.8mm hugged up to the glass above the door to see the first few parking spots outside the door into the shopping center parking lot.

The showroom is about 6500 sq feet - 10 Cameras -

Four looking out into the parking lot and sidewalk... probably 2.8's

Five in the back corners facing various spots (from corners).... probably all 2.8's and one 4mm towards the door and our checkout desk.

One looking directly at our truck in the lot... I'll have to use either a 4mm or higher... We park it about 20yds / 60ft away from the front door view.

The breakroom isn't really that big... maybe I should do 4mm there too?

So like six 4mm / nine 2.8mm and one 6mm if necessary for the truck or if I can get my hands on one from the same seller.

After that... I'll need to get the right POE switch for the job... The two breakroom cams and one warehouse cam will be about 60-75 feet away from the NVR towards the same direction... Then I have the other two about the same distance for the front two in the warehouse and the corner of the showroom... The rest are about 15-40ft from the main switch/NVR.

Originally, I was going to just buy a 16chan poe switch like this (TRENDnet 16-Port 10/100Mbps PoE Switch (TPE-S160)
, but I was advised to run a couple 4 channels instead and run it a different way to avoid any problems...

Any Help or Suggestions will be greatly appreciated since this is my first time doing this... Is that all the equipment I will need? Then software? Blue Iris or which one should I go with that is cost effective and user friendly for viewing on computers anywhere and or android phones.

I want these cams to record up to a month or so, just in case someone does a stupid chargeback or some kind of theft happens and we didn't notice.... and hopefully it's clear enough to make out license plates if necessary.... I'll set them all on motion, so hopefully the two 4TB WD purples will work.

Thanks In Advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The DS-2CD2432F-I is a great camera, but im not sure its best for a retail setup, its too easy to push out of the way. I would go with the DS-2CD2532F-I(s)...the "s" model has a built in mic. Also, I would not use a dahua NVR if you are going to be using hikvision cameras. You don't need any pc software if you are using an NVR. Don't mount a camera in the window, run a camera outside.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I won't really need the mic on all of the cameras, but how much hard drive space does the mic eat up? I'm also not to worried about them getting pushed because they will be high up and some of the views will overlap.... The will already have captured the person trying to move them... The warehouse is over 13ft tall, so they would have to really get up there to mess with those.

I'm going to set these all to motion trigger... I'm just hoping that 4 TB x 2 is good enough or I'll have to use a different NVR and more HDDs.. Does anyone know what HIK Vision NVR competes with the Dahua 7216... and should I really worry about throughput? During the day, I have my delivery guys in the warehouse, so they will probably trigger the those cams often during the day and we want to make sure they're not asleep back there lol...

I don't want any problems with compatibility, so maybe I should go all HikVision instead of the Chinese Dahua NVR w/ Chinese HiKVision Cams...

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I would go with a hikvision NVR. China is a viable option but sometimes you can get good deal locally making the savings and no warranty negligible...depends on the cam/nvr. Check with @milkisbad from LTS, Wrightwood Surveillance, or Nellys for your options. Audio does not take up much room, but check your state laws with respect to recording. If you intend to use the 2CD2432F's PIR motion detection I think you will have issues with distance. It doesn't work from very far, maybe 8 feet. You are better off using regular pixel based motion detection if you are mounting them high.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks... I kind of worry about the throughput though... I want it to flow smoothly... I know this is going to sound kind of cheezy, but I'm doing it for my mom's store... If I set it up and it sucks, she's going to complain and I don't want to deal with it lol... So if I can get good resolution, smooth playback, easy user interface... That's the goal.... She's one of those people who doesn't want to know how the clock works, just what time it is and I don't want to screw this project up.

We have Verizon Fios and a really fast fiber optic connection.

Spaceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
If I go with all Hikvision Which model would you suggest?

I've looked at the specs, but can't find throughput and it's not clear as far as main the differences (or major feature upgrades, processor etc.) except for the HDD and a DVD R/W... I'm thinking the DS-7700NI would be the one although I don't think I would use the DVD r/w...

I measured the store ceiling panels today (2x4ft) and the farthest IP cam will be running about 115ft away from the NVR & Router... I would like to get about 20fps out of all my cams if possible and have them record at least a month or more and with motion detection so the HDDs don't get eaten up. If the 8600 has some outstanding feature I would benefit from, I may spring for it, but that's about as high as I could go for the project.

DS-7600
DS-7700
DS-8600
DS-9500
DS-9600

Another question is if any of you have experience with the onboard POE vs buying an External One... Are the internal Hikvision POE Switches reliable?

and

I know these are computers of sorts, but does anyone run one SSD for the OS and then the rest WD Purples... or always just use 4 WD purples or raid it for some reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Spaceboy,

DS-7700 is pretty good bang for your buck, it can hold up to 4 hard drives and comes in a 1.5U case with 4 TB each which should be more than a month. There shouldn't be a DVD burner installed unless you request it, its optional. Keep in mind the DVD burner will take up the space of 2 hard drive slots.

NVR + built in POE switch is less expensive than external switch + NVR.
the 3 year warranty on the built-in POE switch would also be 3 years, where external switches might be only 1 year.

You can actually run the NVR without any hard drive, so not sure if you can load the OS onto a SSD like in a PC.

DS9600 is for if you need 8 Hard drive space or RAID, it comes in a large 2U case.

General throughput is as of the following:

4 ch = 20 Mbps
8 ch = 40 Mbps
16 ch = 80 Mbps
32 ch - 64 ch = 160 Mbps

Those are for 76xx,77xx,96xx but not sure about the others.