1U POE Switch/AC Searge Suppressor Combo Install?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you do that you'll need VLAN capable switches or else you'll need a 2nd network run between the router/modem..

What'd you do is assign one port on the market switch to say, vlan 100.. then another port on the tractor switch to assign it to vlan 100.. then you plug your cable modem into the market port and the router into the tractor port you just configured then configure the 2 buildings uplink to add vlan 100 as tagged.

still with me? now's a good time to tap out :p
With you in concept. Special Switches that support Vlan feature; an assignment of a dedicated portal in each switch for the modem-router communication. Whats not clear is what SW is used to make these assignments?

If the cost of the special switches exceeds the cost of the router then its not worth the hoop jumping.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the switch you started this thread with supports vlan, its basically just isolating ports from each other like they were on separate switches, without actually having separate switches.

most consumer off the shelf stuff wont do vlan, but much of the pro-consumer/small business stuff may/could you need 2 check spec for vlan support, all the enterprise/carrier grade stuff definitely does.. the switch you originally linked falls into the pro-consumer/small business stuff, which is likely to have it.. but dont take it for granted that it will without checking.

most of it now days is managed with a slick WebUI thats not too hard to figure out if you understand the terminology.

if you buy gear that supports it already it would be kinda silly not to set it up; other than ignorance.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the switch you started this thread with supports vlan, its basically just isolating ports from each other like they were on separate switches, without actually having separate switches.

most consumer off the shelf stuff wont do vlan, but much of the pro-consumer/small business stuff may/could you need 2 check spec for vlan support, all the enterprise/carrier grade stuff definitely does.. the switch you originally linked falls into the pro-consumer/small business stuff, which is likely to have it.. but dont take it for granted that it will without checking.

most of it now days is managed with a slick WebUI thats not too hard to figure out if you understand the terminology.

if you buy gear that supports it already it would be kinda silly not to set it up; other than ignorance.
I checked that Tripplite PDU-Switch combo unit and I don't see that it sayes anytthing about Vlan. It does however say: 2 Combo SFP (Mini-GBIC) ports for uplink to other switches via optical fiber. As you say; might as well use it.

Am I missing something about the Vlan feature?

https://www.tripplite.com/pdu-ethernet-switch-1u-combo-with-24-unmanaged-gigabit-ports-8-ports-poe-95w-and-2-sfp-ports~NSUG24C2P08/

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Compliant with IEEE 802.3ab (1000BASE-T GbE), IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet), IEEE 802.3i (10BASE-T Ethernet), IEEE 802.3x (Full Duplex/Flow Control), IEEE 802.3 (NWAY Auto-Negotiation), IEEE 802.1P (QOS, Traffic Prioritization), IEEE 802.3at (POE), IEEE 802.3ac (VLAN) and IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)
emphasis added.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
emphasis added.
Update:

View attachment 10217

If I have it right, now it looks like we have added one switch to the market shed and made a lot of simplifications to the circuitry. The Vlan feature looks like it accommodates a pass through from modem to router via the switches. I like it!

Not withstanding, it will cost a small fortsion im sure.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how big is your conduit between buildings? if you can pull a pre-fab fiberoptic cable through it, that'll be pretty cheap at least.. 20ft is nothing

your router will likely be connected to the switch twice, once for its vlan to the cable modem and one to the switch LAN so it can provide dhcp and internet via NAT.. then your PC-NVR will also be on the switch.

look around on ebay/craigslist, you can get used switches with PoE, Vlan, Fiber SPF for pretty damn cheap.. $50 a pop but you gotta know what you want and research em.

example i found pretty quickly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-3COM-JD877A-8-Port-OfficeConnect-Managed-PoE-Switch-3CRDSF9PWR-Rack-Mountable-/141952330964?hash=item210d04acd4:g:Mm0AAOSwGYVXBoYW

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how big is your conduit between buildings? if you can pull a pre-fab fiberoptic cable through it, that'll be pretty cheap at least.. 20ft is nothing

your router will likely be connected to the switch twice, once for its vlan to the cable modem and one to the switch LAN so it can provide dhcp and internet via NAT.. then your PC-NVR will also be on the switch.

look around on ebay/craigslist, you can get used switches with PoE, Vlan, Fiber SPF for pretty damn cheap.. $50 a pop but you gotta know what you want and research em.

example i found pretty quickly: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-3COM-JD877A-8-Port-OfficeConnect-Managed-PoE-Switch-3CRDSF9PWR-Rack-Mountable-/141952330964?hash=item210d04acd4:g:Mm0AAOSwGYVXBoYW
I have not put the conduit in yet so I can make it what ever it needs to be.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Update:

View attachment 10217

If I have it right, now it looks like we have added one switch to the market shed and made a lot of simplifications to the circuitry. The Vlan feature looks like it accommodates a pass through from modem to router via the switches. I like it!

Not withstanding, it will cost a small fortsion im sure.
It look like you have a switch between Modem and the router. Modem -> 1st switch <-> router <-> 2nd switch

I believe that doing this, you expose everything that is plugged in the first switch to the internet.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not if he configures those ports to be a separate vlan.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went back and re-read the posts again and your replies. You are correct ...

Bill
Only I may have a problem with the [FONT=&amp]24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch w/ 12 Outlet PDU, 2 [/FONT][FONT=&amp]SFP and 8 POE+ Ports. This is the switch that I had originally posted for the wall rack witch is supposed to go in the tractor bay. I emailed the Tripplite company support, to make sure the Vlan feature was supported by this switch. Here is what I got:

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Hi Mike, [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]From what I understand VLAN is supported by the [/FONT][FONT=&amp]IEEE 802.1Q protocol. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The PDU supports the following protocols:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Compliant with IEEE 802.3ab (1000BASE-T GbE), IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet), IEEE 802.3i (10BASE-T Ethernet), IEEE 802.3x (Full Duplex/Flow Control), IEEE 802.3 (NWAY Auto-Negotiation), IEEE 802.1P (QOS, Traffic Prioritization), IEEE 802.3at (POE), IEEE 802.3ac [/FONT][FONT=&amp](VLAN)[/FONT][FONT=&amp] and IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Unfortunately this will not support VLAN. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thanks for the look, let me know if you have any additional questions. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Melissa Kliesch[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Pre Sales Application Services Supervisor [/FONT]

Whats a guy to believe?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Nayr,

Is it necessary to have a Fiber SPF port on both switches? I would assume yes, but just checking to be absolutely sure? Some sort of converter maybe?

Not sure I understand:

It would seem to have something to do with having two computers on the same LAN but I only have one PC on the proposed system?

"Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is the use of a device with Internet access such as 3G cellular service, broadband via Ethernet, or other Internet gateway as an access point for other devices. It was implemented by Microsoft as a feature of its Windows operating system (as of Windows 98 Second Edition and later) for sharing a single Internet connection on one computer between other computers on the same local area network. It makes use of DHCP and network address translation (NAT)."

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: