1U POE Switch/AC Searge Suppressor Combo Install?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I'll go ahead and buy the 6U enclosure and start loading it with components gradually, minus the modem which I will put in the small building where the cable comes in. I'll mount the unit/server high up in the tractor bay and take some photos.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I'll go ahead and buy the 6U enclosure and start loading it with components gradually, minus the modem which I will put in the small building where the cable comes in. I'll mount the unit/server high up in the tractor bay and take some photos.
What are you going to use for a router? Or are you getting one of those "all in one" modem?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you going to use for a router? Or are you getting one of those "all in one" modem?
I learned the hard way that the combined modem/router is a bad idea. I have tried to hold the cable company responsible for poor /slow speed and then they want to make me fix the problem with the manufacture when we know the problem is with the line which they will not address. So the security system on the farm will be built with separate modem and router. The router I have selected is:

TRENDnet TEW-818DRU AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router

AC1900: 1300 Mbps Wireless AC + 600 Mbps Wireless N bands
High speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports
Pre-encrypted for your security
Create an isolated guest network
One touch network connection with the WPS button
All Gigabit wired ports
High power amplifiers extend wireless coverage

Router - Back1.jpgRouter Front.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TEW-818DRU-One-Touch-connection-Compatible/dp/B00HKEI3DA/ref=sr_1_1/181-1288731-8310148?ie=UTF8&qid=1461453812&sr=8-1&keywords=trendnet+tew-818dru+ac1900

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I learned the hard way that the combined modem/router is a bad idea. I have tried to hold the cable company responsible for poor /slow speed and then they want to make me fix the problem with the manufacture when we know the problem is with the line which they will not address. So the security system on the farm will be built with separate modem and router. The router I have selected is:

TRENDnet TEW-818DRU AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router

AC1900: 1300 Mbps Wireless AC + 600 Mbps Wireless N bands
High speed USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 share ports
Pre-encrypted for your security
Create an isolated guest network
One touch network connection with the WPS button
All Gigabit wired ports
High power amplifiers extend wireless coverage

View attachment 10170View attachment 10171

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-TEW-818DRU-One-Touch-connection-Compatible/dp/B00HKEI3DA/ref=sr_1_1/181-1288731-8310148?ie=UTF8&qid=1461453812&sr=8-1&keywords=trendnet+tew-818dru+ac1900

Nice router but you probably will have to use custom firmware ie. DD-WRT to use VPN if you want secured connection to your work.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Edgerouter-Router-ERLITE-3/dp/B00HXT8EKE/ and if your going to use Ubiquiti AC WiFi get the PoE version w/3x GigE 24V PoE ports

VPN is a little trickier to setup though, so maybe not.. needs command line, well it did.. my firmware is really ancient, but stable so i havent updated.. it might be all UI and Wizard by now with the speed Ubiquiti works.

Shit's getting expencive hah.. at least your saving money doing and researching it your self; your building something that you'd hate to see the bill on if someone else did all this stuff.

Do your self a favor since your installing this up high off the ground, install an anchor-loop you can strap your self to when your trying to bang on shit while on a ladder.. it'll also come in handy for hanging a bucket of tools, etc off of.. were not getting any younger and working ontop of a ladder for a long time can get iffy.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recommend these: http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Edgerouter-Router-ERLITE-3/dp/B00HXT8EKE/ and if your going to use Ubiquiti AC WiFi get the PoE version w/3x GigE 24V PoE ports

VPN is a little trickier to setup though, so maybe not.. needs command line, well it did.. my firmware is really ancient, but stable so i havent updated.. it might be all UI and Wizard by now with the speed Ubiquiti works.

Shit's getting expencive hah.. at least your saving money doing and researching it your self; your building something that you'd hate to see the bill on if someone else did all this stuff.

Do your self a favor since your installing this up high off the ground, install an anchor-loop you can strap your self to when your trying to bang on shit while on a ladder.. it'll also come in handy for hanging a bucket of tools, etc off of.. were not getting any younger and working ontop of a ladder for a long time can get iffy.
Well, yes this is a great forum for getting info especially for a newbe like me.Lots of great info here!

So, I don't think I need a private network (Virtual Private Network (VPN), other than a password on my WiFi/Router.

I will purchase a Ubiquiti WiFi hardware, and set it up in the small building where the modem is, just because it is the best place to sit down and that is where we are generally during the marketing season.

As for the router you suggest I have a couple of questions. Why does a refurbished unit cost $279? Typo maybe. See below. What is a "packet"? I have not seen that anywhere else. I assume it is about data of some sort? Otherwise, one less port that the TRENDnet, and a vertical mount would be preferred for better space utilization. I see TRENDnet is 1G/s on all (4) of its ports. Is the difference a lot when using the Ubiquiti WiFi ? I would have thought sense it is hard wired via cable the 1 G/s would be pretty good?

A tool belt and safety strap anchored to the wall is a good Idea. In my condition, I won't be going up on a ladder, but my farm hand will. Poor guy.

List Price:$99.00
Price: $95.82 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save:$3.18 (3%)

Sold by SIL MICRO and Fulfilled by Amazon.

• 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets.
  • (3) Gigabit routing ports
  • Silent, fanless operation
  • Compact, durable metal casing

17 new from $90.00 3 used from $79.51 1 refurbished from $279.36

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
amazon sellers, who knows.. maybe he really dont want to see it that bad.

here is the PoE version, since Ubiquiti does not use standard 48V poe, and 802.11AC actually can saturate fast ethernet ports its worth the extra...
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Edgerouter-Router-ERPOE-5/dp/B00HXT8EUE/
Stop the press.

Just when I thought I was starting to understand this stuff, maybe I'm not. Let me test my thinking here>

Specific to my application, an "edge router" is a wireless add-on devise to boost the range of connectivity between the Ubiqui WiFi receiver, (in my marketing building), and my laptop, or iPhone, etc? It also apparently converts 48 volt POE to 24 vote POE, and the multiple ports facilitates additional WiFi receivers that I will not have (at least not as I have presently configured my system). Do I have that right?

If so, then this hardware (edge router) would reside in my server enclosure between the TRENDnet router POE Ubiquiti cable out, and the Ubiquiti POE cable In?

If I'm only using one Ubiquiti receiver/WiFi interface I think the hardware comes with the converter?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EdgeRouter is what you plug into your cable modem, then you plug your WiFi Access points into EdgeRouter and your PoE Switch.. your NVR and Cameras go on your PoE Switch.. wire up the access points where ever people with mobile/wireless devices may need access.

Technically the WiFi and Wired will be on separate networks (ie, 192.168.1.X for lan, 192.168.2.x for Employees WiFi, 192.168.3.x for Guest's WiFi)

then you can filter/firewall traffic as the router routes them.. ie, say employees have no bandwidth caps, and can access the printer, and perhaps your NVR's feeds, but none of the cameras and only opendns filtered internet.. then you allow only guests internet access with a set max speed so they have to share with everyone else.

can you daigram out your desired topology?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK good idea because this is getting complicated. should have it ready in about an hour, and I'l send it in the next post.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can you daigram out your desired topology?
OK This is what I thought I needed but I could be all wrong. After all the subject is complicated to say the least. Hope you can enlarge this enough to see it.

ScreenShot.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ok this is how I'd do it:

Market:
Cable Modem <-> Router <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market)
Cams 1-3 + Wifi 1 <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market)

Tractor Bay:
8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market) <--> 8 Port GigE PoE Switch (Tractor)
Cams 4-8 + Wifi 2 <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Tractor)
NVR/CPU <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Tractor)

basically 2 small networks, uplinked with single GigE link between buildings.. this could even be fiber and would electrically isolate the two buildings.. only 1 wire is needed between the two either way.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok this is how I'd do it:

Market:
Cable Modem <-> Router <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market)
Cams 1-3 + Wifi 1 <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market)

Tractor Bay:
8 Port GigE POE Switch (Market) <--> 8 Port GigE PoE Switch (Tractor)
Cams 4-8 + Wifi 2 <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Tractor)
NVR/CPU <-> 8 Port GigE POE Switch (Tractor)

basically 2 small networks, uplinked with single GigE link between buildings.. this could even be fiber and would electrically isolate the two buildings.. only 1 wire is needed between the two either way.
OK, and which building would you put the GigE switch in? Or, does it mater?

Also the WiFi 1 & 2 are both hard wired to the switch so it would seem that an additional wire would have to go under ground between the buildings?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
put one switch in each building, link em together and now they are effectively one big switch... everything in the local building goes to the local switch.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
put one switch in each building, link em together and now they are effectively one big switch... everything in the local building goes to the local switch.
OK Lets See If I have this right.

Market Devices:
Modem, Router, Switch, WiFi AP 1, Cams 1-3

Tractor Devices:
Switch, CPU, Hard Drive, WiFi AP 2, Cams 4-8

Can any two switches be connected?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, and you can link any 2 switches together by just connecting them with a network cable.. the only problem is if you create a loop, say with 3 switches:

Switch 1 <-> Switch 2
Switch 2 <-> Switch 3
Switch 3 <-> Switch 1 <--- Network Failure without Spanning Tree supported switches.

As long as you have GigE links between the switches you'll be fine on this small of a network.. neither all your cameras combined with your max internet speeds will come close to maxing out Gigabit.. so that uplink between switches is highly unlikely to ever see saturation.

2x8-12 port switches would be alot more flexible for you than a single 24 port switch..

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, and you can link any 2 switches together by just connecting them with a network cable.. the only problem is if you create a loop, say with 3 switches:

Switch 1 <-> Switch 2
Switch 2 <-> Switch 3
Switch 3 <-> Switch 1 <--- Network Failure without Spanning Tree supported switches.

As long as you have GigE links between the switches you'll be fine on this small of a network.. neither all your cameras combined with your max internet speeds will come close to maxing out Gigabit.. so that uplink between switches is highly unlikely to ever see saturation.

2x8-12 port switches would be alot more flexible for you than a single 24 port switch..
OK think I'm getting there.

A cpl more questions if you don't mind me picking your brains.

1) Want to confirm that this new arrangement is still configured as a single LAN system?

2) Is it possible to locate the "market" building switch between the modem and the router, thus allowing the router to be located in the protection of the locked wall mounted rack enclosure in the "tractor bay"?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its still a single lan, can chain switches until the cows come home.. a subnet defines a LAN technically, so 192.168.1.x is a 254 address subnet.. everything on one of those IP's is assumed it can talk locally via switches and it wont touch a router.. the switch handles the flow of traffic between devices.

When a device wants to talk to a device on another network, it uses its Gateway to make the connection.. the Gateway is the router and its supposed to know how to reach everything not on our local subnet and route traffic across distinct network segments (WAN <-> LAN for most people)

No real point in locking router up, as all it does in this case is provide you with a internet firewall and perhaps remote VPN access and guest isolation for your public wifi.. if someone shoots your router with a gun, the cameras will still be recording.. having it easy access for your employees to kick around when the internet's having problems might be better.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its still a single lan, can chain switches until the cows come home.. a subnet defines a LAN technically, so 192.168.1.x is a 254 address subnet.. everything on one of those IP's is assumed it can talk locally via switches and it wont touch a router.. the switch handles the flow of traffic between devices.

When a device wants to talk to a device on another network, it uses its Gateway to make the connection.. the Gateway is the router and its supposed to know how to reach everything not on our local subnet and route traffic across distinct network segments (WAN <-> LAN for most people)

No real point in locking router up, as all it does in this case is provide you with a internet firewall and perhaps remote VPN access and guest isolation for your public wifi.. if someone shoots your router with a gun, the cameras will still be recording.. having it easy access for your employees to kick around when the internet's having problems might be better.
I just don't want it (router) to get stolen. anything in the market building will get stolen and has been stolen and id rather not give it away if there is a way to avoid it from being there to pick up. A good router is $120. Also it is the only way I can check my system remotely. Same question.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you do that you'll need VLAN capable switches or else you'll need a 2nd network run between the router/modem..

What'd you do is assign one port on the market switch to say, vlan 100.. then another port on the tractor switch to assign it to vlan 100.. then you plug your cable modem into the market port and the router into the tractor port you just configured then configure the 2 buildings uplink to add vlan 100 as tagged.

still with me? now's a good time to tap out :p