1x 8TB vs 2x 4TB writing

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question, is it better to have 9 Dahua 1080p@15FPS cameras writing to two purple WD drivers or just have it write to a single 8TB drive?

Was leaning toward the 8TB drive, also, any suggestions for hiding the hard drive in case someone broke in and stole my computer.
I was thinking about putting the drive under the desk in an enclosure and having it connected to the computer through USB 3.0. Not sure if that is ideal though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question, is it better to have 9 Dahua 1080p@15FPS cameras writing to two purple WD drivers or just have it write to a single 8TB drive?

Was leaning toward the 8TB drive, also, any suggestions for hiding the hard drive in case someone broke in and stole my computer.
I was thinking about putting the drive under the desk in an enclosure and having it connected to the computer through USB 3.0. Not sure if that is ideal though.
if you have the room two drives will always be better....
as far as hiding the drive...
if you are paranoid you can do both, by cloning the cameras and hiding the clones so you dont have duplicates on the screen...always write to a local drive as primary storage, not a usb drive...

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A somewhat related question, is it possible to have BI and 2x 4TB such that it writes to one drive, then when full, it writes to the 2nd drive, and the first drive spins down? I have 11-12 continuous streams that fill a 4TB in ~2 weeks, and I would like to add another 4TB, but if it is spinning all the time, that seems to be a waste of drive life and energy... I know that both might be powered up for an hour of overlap if I have 60 minute files, that is OK... a fallback to writing to one drive if one failed would be good to add... and maybe support up to 4 4tb drives, and 99% of the time only one is powered up...

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aren’t the Purples designed to run 24/7?
Or are you more concerned about the power consumption of all the drops?

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah, but if you can shut all but one drive down for weeks at a time... it might just be a 'not worth it thing', but thought I would ask.. but the redundancy thing... if one goes bad can you have it automatically write to the other, or would you need raid JBOD?

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just added a second HDD to help and it has been great. Noticed a difference when viewing clips. One drive for outside cams and the other for a 24/7 camera and all the inside cameras. I took 7/8 cameras off the main HDD and again I noticed a difference.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sounds like a plan!

(but then I get the idea that an option for a 'secondary location' would still be helpful..., half the cameras write to drive 1 and have drive 2 as a secondary, the other half have the reverse... I cannot justify having a cold spare, and this would allow an automatic solution until a new drive arrives)