2 Bullets + 1 Box

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Finished up adding more cameras; the one on the side of the house with the box (east-ipc) is a IPC-HFW2200S and the one looking around the corner at the rear door (south-ipc) is a IPC-HFW4300S.

3/4in EMT Conduit runs to my server room and is of course grounded further down the line. The enclosure I picked up from Home Depot, the lock is a Master #7, and I used Rustoleum Textured Black on the conduit and Semi-Gloss White Acrylic on the box.

All said and done I should have just bought 2 4300's but I tried to save a little cash looking at the trashcans.. but its fine; the image is still good just not as good by a pretty big difference.. bought em both from wrightwoodsurveillance.com along with my PTZ and its been a pleasure dealing with em.

Cheers,
-R

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks; the box seemed like the best solution to handle all the wiring cleanest; and as an added bonus in the near future I intend on installing some outdoor speakers here over the back patio under the soffits and not only can I run the speaker wire from my receiver in the server room through that conduit but just below that box I can mount an outdoor volume knob.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090304&p_id=8240&seq=1&format=2

and conveniently I have a very easy way to wire up a contact switch sensor to that gate running inches from the conduit... who knows what else I'll shove in that box :)

ps: the trailer is secured physically to a docking station I made; 1-1/4in steel water pipe cemented 3ft deep with a trailer ball welded to the top and the tongue locked to the ball.. works very well.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is sweet. I like that lock box and paint work. And the volume knob is good to know. :)

Do I spot a custom compact expedition trailer?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, I tow it with my diesel golf packed full of fun stuff.. so far this year it's done 5800+ miles.

there is a wife, a kid and a large dog in that thing.. completely comfortable @ 80mph & 36mpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That came out amazing. The only thing different I would have done was painted the emt and the strap redish to match the brick and painted the box like bricks. Also, make sure you silicone all around that box. Even though it's outdoor, it still has holes in the back to mount to the wall and water/moisture can find it's way in. I've used that box before, but really do not like it because there are no gaskets and tabs to mount to the wall. But otherwise, you did a real clean job, congrats.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its black brick and white mortar; the upper half of my house is white vinyl so this was the closest I could reasonably get... im sure the black conduit will fade in time to look like the brick :)

from the street the box is much less noticeable than it was when it was raw conduit and a grey box; you really have to be looking for it as it dont stand out anymore.. I thought about painting the strap but it sits too low for me to care; its only visible from the angle of that photo.

and yeah the box is not waterproof; especially not with the large holes drilled on each side for the cams.. the wires inside are properly sealed and handled just as I would had they not been in the box and had been exposed to the elements or shoved behind some siding.. it is designed to drain properly so I am not worried about it filling up and draining water into my server room; but having said that when I am done installing the speakers I may just put a bunch of silicon on the conduit inside the box just to be extra safe.

after painting it white I did think about taping off the mortar lines to go across the box and then painting it again black to simulate brick work; but that was far too much work to make it look good and not standout even worse than raw.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After all of that hard work that you already did, you thought alittle custom painting was too much work? LOL :D:D:D

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
haha; sometimes you just need to know when to stop.. sit down and have a beer :)

it really was not that much work when you have all the right tools (the paint was what I found in the garage); far less blood/sweat/tears went into installing those 2 cameras 10ft from my server room than it did to install my PTZ literally at the furthest point possible from my room; across two summer attics and another floor to get to the basement, plus what had to been hours on a rickety ladder... I promise I spent much more time planning this install than I did actually installing it.

now that its gotten dark here is a night-time shot

Attachments

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you keep those lights on overnight? If not, let's turn them off to test out the cameras.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
** edit **
doh wrong thread; I thought this was another one..

Yeah they stay on all night with locks on the switches to make sure nobody shuts em off
http://www.amazon.com/National-Mfg-280842-Switch-Lock/dp/B000HJD9KM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408510049&sr=8-4&keywords=light+switch+lock

but I took it off for you and attached a shot, whats cool is I can fire up my PTZ and point it at the patio/yard and it lights up this camera really nicely, its cool to watch it look around like an invisible searchlight... guess which thumbnail.

The trailer/trash cam is pitch black; there is no external lighting and the lack of 3d noise reduction is obvious but the image is still completely acceptable.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Well they're ir bullets, the image should be good and it is. I have that same thing with seeing my ptz ir in another camera, and watching it pan around. It's cool!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it's cool when that happens when you can see the light from another camera, whether it be fixed or ptz. It's amazing at how much light these things actually omit.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have a name or model number for that box? Is it just a junction box?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Steel City - Outdoor Enclosure Box - Gray
Model# AB-664RBGK001

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-City-Outdoor-Enclosure-Box-Gray-AB-664RBGK001/202590858

I'd suggest using a step drill bit to tear through it; makes a nice clean big hole for camera wiring and they dont tend to wander, warp the metal or freeze the bit like big bits will... plus you can get one tha'll drill up to a 2" hole from Harbor Freight for cheap.. Do all the drilling prior to mounting it so you can knock the massive amount of metal shards out of the inside nice and easy... I didnt and had to get the shop-vac up into it.

Toss the chineese screws that came with your camera in the trash (they strip with the slightest torque) and get some self-tapping metal screws for holding the cams down.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Those harbor freight Chinese drill bits are nice for what I use it for and I don't stress so bad if I lose one...which I have