2 Cams, 1 only showing directly connected to the router. help

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so i have 2 Dahua one bullet and one Dome 3mp.

i have just gotten them, and i have a problem. They are PoE and i have a router and a PoE switch connected. When i connect both cameras only one shows up, but when i connect the last one to the router and external power supply it shows up and works, but in the PoE switch nothing?

i have changed both ip and asigned both a different port. What is the problem? The cable is ok its only 15meters from the switch. The camera has power via PoE, it blinks has IR lights etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps a bad port on the switch? Will both cams work fine via PoE if connected only one at a time?

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps a bad port on the switch? Will both cams work fine via PoE if connected only one at a time?
first of all thank you very mutch for answering, this is so frustrating i cant even begin to describe it.

ok to give you a quick info : i purchased 2 cams and one DVR unit a week ago from. i couldnt get the cameras to show on the DVR it has 4x built in PoE ports so i purchased : ZYXEL GS1100-8HP 8-port PoE Switch, so thats brand new.

I only use the NVR as a viewing / record unit now, or so is my intention annyway.

But to answer your question, no the camera does not work when connected only one at a time i tried that, i even connected the power supply and then connected it to the switch alone, still no camera is showing on the network. The only time it will turn up is if i plug it in the router directly and use a external power supply. But when connected alone to the PoE switch i noticed that it did not blink (orange) straight away i had to plug it out n in again a couple of times.

so my setup is like this : Router from internet supplier in bridge mode to my Netgear router and then from netgear router to the new Zyxel switch, and there i have connected my PC (used for scanning etc) and DVR, and the 1 bullet cam that is actually working. I have tried setting the Camera, that does not work, to DHCP and UpNP and enabled upnp in router, then tried to hook it back in the switch alone and with the other cam etc still nothing shows.

I cant figure out whats the problem. i have also tried enabling DHCP and then when given IP used the ip as static ip but still nothing. only when connected to the router directly as mentioned.

What would be the "smartest move" asigning it a ip and sticking to it or enable DHCP ? when i connect it to the router and actually get a signal.

if you have the time i would really apreciate a answer to this post, if you dont have anny solution, maybe give me a quick input how you would setup the cameras with some random ip's and ports and if i should open or not open anny ports in my router that would be great also.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I recommend setting static IP addresses in the cameras.

Look at your router configuration and find the DHCP section. Look at the address range it uses for DHCP. Often this is like 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.149 or similar. You should not assign any static IP addresses inside this range because the router might not know about it and assign a duplicate. In my house, my router is 192.168.0.254 and the DHCP range is like 192.168.0.100 through 192.168.0.169. So I use ..0.30 - 0.99 for my cameras and related gear which I always give a static IP address. It doesn't matter what range of addresses you choose as long as the first 3 numbers match and you don't let two devices use the same address. You can use any number from 1 to 254 for these.

Once you have the cameras both using static addresses, you can verify if they are working by trying to connect to their addresses from the web browser on the PC.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but when i connect the last one to the router and external power supply it shows up and works, but in the PoE switch nothing
If the PoE capability of the camera was simply broken and not working would that explain your symptoms with the different connections you have tried?
It's not going to be an IP address problem if it works fine in the (Netgear?) router when powered externally, but not when in the PoE switch without external power.

Though this statement is a bit in conflict with that theory if you are referring to your new PoE switch:
i even connected the power supply and then connected it to the switch alone

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using the same cable when connecting to the router (that works) and the switch (that doesnt)?

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
I recommend setting static IP addresses in the cameras.

Look at your router configuration and find the DHCP section. Look at the address range it uses for DHCP. Often this is like 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.149 or similar. You should not assign any static IP addresses inside this range because the router might not know about it and assign a duplicate. In my house, my router is 192.168.0.254 and the DHCP range is like 192.168.0.100 through 192.168.0.169. So I use ..0.30 - 0.99 for my cameras and related gear which I always give a static IP address. It doesn't matter what range of addresses you choose as long as the first 3 numbers match and you don't let two devices use the same address. You can use any number from 1 to 254 for these.

Once you have the cameras both using static addresses, you can verify if they are working by trying to connect to their addresses from the web browser on the PC.
wow thanks alot for all the answers , will answer one by one...and again im sorry if my explanation is hard to understand, english is far from my mother tongue.

Ok i just checked my DHCP range and it was from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 can i just change this in the router ? like from 100-254 so i can use from 1-100 for static adresses ? does this maybe explain my problem then ? because all ip s given to the cameras and adjusted by me, where in that range?

Also about opening ports - do i need to do that to get the camera to work? and if so do i just choose one for each camera and asign it to them in cam config?

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
If the PoE capability of the camera was simply broken and not working would that explain your symptoms with the different connections you have tried?
It's not going to be an IP address problem if it works fine in the (Netgear?) router when powered externally, but not when in the PoE switch without external power.

Though this statement is a bit in conflict with that theory if you are referring to your new PoE switch:

Yes it works in the Netgear router when connected with the same cable only with external power supply. ​i even tested the cable "pair tested" im an electrician so i have the cat 5 tester device, i initially suspected the cable , i thaught maybe the switch used different pairs then the router for data transfere (?) but then it probably wouldnt work in the router either or ?

What i meant by my statement was that the switch is 4 port PoE and 4 Normal ports, i tried connecting the camera by the same method as when connected to the router , by plugin it in the switch and external power supply, but nothing happens....it only works directly in the router, and if it was stricly PoE problem it should have worked then ?

Im really happy about all the answers guys! i was minutes away from hammering the sh+t out of the camera and sending it back to china.

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using the same cable when connecting to the router (that works) and the switch (that doesnt)?
thanks for the answer, and i have answered the question above, but yes same cable. but as said is it possible that the switch and router are using different "pairs" for data transfere ? but i have tested the cable with pair tester and all pairs are ok, but if one pair is "connected within the cable somehow, i dont think that would show in the pair tester, but it would probably not work in the router....i havent had mutch sleep the last 24 hours so i may be overthinking that cable part a bit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the answer, and i have answered the question above, but yes same cable. but as said is it possible that the switch and router are using different "pairs" for data transfere ? but i have tested the cable with pair tester and all pairs are ok, but if one pair is "connected within the cable somehow, i dont think that would show in the pair tester, but it would probably not work in the router....i havent had mutch sleep the last 24 hours so i may be overthinking that cable part a bit.
Did you make the cable yourself? if so did you follow 568b protocol? http://www.incentre.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ethcable568b.gif
The switch and router will use the same pairs of cable for data.

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
wow thanks alot for all the answers , will answer one by one...and again im sorry if my explanation is hard to understand, english is far from my mother tongue.

Ok i just checked my DHCP range and it was from 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 can i just change this in the router ? like from 100-254 so i can use from 1-100 for static adresses ? does this maybe explain my problem then ? because all ip s given to the cameras and adjusted by me, where in that range?

Also about opening ports - do i need to do that to get the camera to work? and if so do i just choose one for each camera and asign it to them in cam config?
You can change the range in the router to free up some addresses for static IP addressing, no problem. It is not likely to be the solution to your problems, but it should be helpful in troubleshooting! No need to open ports in the router until you want to start accessing the cameras from outside your home network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes i made the cable myself, and no i didnt follow the 568b protocol, but its the same in both ends, so i dont understand how that should be the problem? but maybe im missing something .
Yes, that could very well be your issue. The order does matter because they are twisted in the cable to prevent interference. Usually you see this issue in longer runs, but im willing to bet its your issue here. The router may be doing a better job compensating for the interference than the switch...rewire the cable or simply test with a store bought cable..this should be the first thing you do..make sure to repair every other cable you have made as well.
Then if that doesnt help reset the camera and start again.

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that could very well be your issue. The order does matter because they are twisted in the cable to prevent interference. Usually you see this issue in longer runs, but im willing to bet its your issue here. The router may be doing a better job compensating for the interference than the switch...rewire the cable or simply test with a store bought cable..this should be the first thing you do..make sure to repair every other cable you have made as well.
Then if that doesnt help reset the camera and start again.
Thanks man!! i will get on that bright and early tomorrow !

- - - Updated - - -

You can change the range in the router to free up some addresses for static IP addressing, no problem. It is not likely to be the solution to your problems, but it should be helpful in troubleshooting! No need to open ports in the router until you want to start accessing the cameras from outside your home network.
thanks alot man for the info ! :)

tkje

n3wb
Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks alot guys for all the help and info! i made the cables again, and i fixed the DHCP range in the router asigned static adresses and it now works perfectly! In case annynody has the same problem in the future!