2 questions for beginner

alexcal

n3wb
Reaction score
Just about got blue iris working and recording, i have it running on dedicated pc.

I have many questions but my main questions now are:

what happens when the disk becomes full from recording video?

and

what is the recommended video format? i currently have it set at blue iris dvr... but would be interested to know what others are using and why.

thanks in advance

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the oldest clip gets overwritten. so basically the more you limit false detections the more miles/time you will get out of a smaller hard drive. you could change the container to another format for native reading/playing in another application, but if you just plan to just use blue iris for playback then use the blue iris format as the read/write benefits are spelled out in the settings page. as far as compression i would recommend using direct to disk vs re-compressing into another format for overlays like time/date stamp or w/e you want to add. you have more methods to add overlays likely in blue iris vs using the overlays in the individual camera's web based interface, but if you are just putting a date/time stamp on the camera, you are better off doing that on the camera itself vs putting more CPU load on blue iris by having it spend time compressing the video in order to put the overlay in.

alexcal

n3wb
Reaction score
the oldest clip gets overwritten. so basically the more you limit false detections the more miles/time you will get out of a smaller hard drive. you could change the container to another format for native reading/playing in another application, but if you just plan to just use blue iris for playback then use the blue iris format as the read/write benefits are spelled out in the settings page. as far as compression i would recommend using direct to disk vs re-compressing into another format for overlays like time/date stamp or w/e you want to add. you have more methods to add overlays likely in blue iris vs using the overlays in the individual camera's web based interface, but if you are just putting a date/time stamp on the camera, you are better off doing that on the camera itself vs putting more CPU load on blue iris by having it spend time compressing the video in order to put the overlay in.
Appreciate your advice Lebeter and will take all on-board - is there a way to disable time stamp globally or for individual cameras in blue iris? I presently have only 1 camera with 2 date/time stamps showing, for BI and for the camera as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Camera properties > video tab> text and graphic overlays...click on the time and delete