2 way audio supported cam for children room searched.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have problems with my next cam...
Mounted in my children's room. It should replace my ptz suneyes cam. And it should be a dahua of course LOL ...

- It must have a good working mic and speaker (external maybe also)
- silent... A ptz is noisy, rebooting wakes up my daughter
- more than 90 degree but 120 is maybe to much
- I would prefer lan connection and poe
- no recording needed, ivs is not necessary
- good night view. Better than the old ptz one example with too much power in the center
Screenshot_20170129-175739.png

I think about a ipc-c35 or ipc-k35. But I am afraid of the internal speakers being terrible and too silent (although a babyphone is mostly not better?). Does the 3mp makes sense, or is it just a marketing point in these cheap cams?

Thx guys

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Two way audio isn't full duplex (like with a phone)
It is half dupled (like a walkie-talkie)
Switching from "talk" to "listen" requires clicking icons.
Me? I'd use a simple & inexpensive baby monitor

Fastb

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I know 2 way audio is not full duplex. But it's ok when using Tinyipcammonitor. It works fine with my foscam ptz (which I also want to replace)

And a speaker is really wanted.But it can be both external. All my babyphone are broken and my biggest problem is that my cottage is too big and I have problems with nowadays babyphones. And with cam they are so ugly expensive and with very poor quality.

I also thought about IPC-EB5500, but this one seems to have no ir cut, so it wouldn't work with external ir leds. Similar to the hdb-4231 which you reviewed?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
eb5500 dont have audio out either.. and the low light on that is horrendous, thought you wanted an upgrade..

my house is small enough I just yell when the kids need spoken too; they know to respond or come to my calls else there is hell to pay if I gotta come to them.

the only cams with speakers built in are the cubes, anything with audio output needs an external amplifier and speaker, and power.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have one thing foregotten, I can talk to them when I am not at home... because if my wife will go in they wouldn't let here out again. At home I am the yelling one :) not my wife. But we life downstairs, my children are in the attic with a lot of closed doors between. No way with yelling.

If dahua writes electronic day/night switching and nothing about ir cut, then I think ir is not possible. The rooms are nearly totally dark, a starlight would've also not enough light.

Is someone using here these cams? Maybe I need to order them, test it and if not I can give them back.

External amp is easyly done by active pc speakers.

But the ones with audio in/out are all a dome one. Maybe for indoor use a way.
That would be this one:
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z or the much cheaper
HDBW4421E

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It'll say (IRC) under Day/Night if it has an IR Cut..

the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS has IR and Starlight Capabilities and Audio Input, but audio out you'd have to figure on your own..

its what im putting planning in the play room, then im putting the mini-back face ptz in the bedroom because we'll have an infant soon and I wanna zoom in on crib.. its quiet enough I dont worry about it waking kids, not mine..

in the play room imna hook it up to the TV so the kids can tune it in, because they get a big kick out of watching them selves on camera.. gonna sit in the corner above the door so it can see the whole room but not outside it.

Ive got a VoIP Intercom system in the house using hardwired voip phones in each room.. but its mostly used when someone's sick.. my wife can use her cell phone to fire up the intercom from bed and ask for more water or whatever.

Last edited:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can test these 2 ones in a few days:
IPC-HDBW5431R-Z
IPC-HDBW4431E-AS

Together with a PFM140 Dahua Mic they should work. It would be interesting to know how many ir reflections the dome have, and if it´s a difference for the high power ir leds to the 18 small ir leds. Maybe the dome glas is not so bad as expected. The 5431 cost me about 100€ more, but it is more light sensitive, unfortunally my german distributor didn´t have the starlights yet.

I would prefer IPC-HDBW5231R-Z but how the get it for comparing ...
It would be maybe the best choice, it´s a mini dome one with a little bit less ir power, but i only can find the 5431 one.

Does someone have a working hdbw and can provide me a temporary p2p access? I want to see the night view and dome ir problems.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would prefer a non ptz cam. I had been thinking about this one, but with 70 degrees I must always move, I miss the overview.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got cameras installed on my house nobody has listed for sale anywhere; just contact @EMPIRETECANDY and he can special order you what you want.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes, i a am in contact with him. I have asked for prices of some cams.

I receive for a testing the cams of posting 8 and the dahua mic in 2 days from my local dahua distributor. The HDBW5431R-Z is really interesting, and i can get it for a very low price. But it has a really big dome. And 0,03lux with F1.4 is not really bad, better than many others without sonys 2mp starlight.
I will be very interested in comparing night view. (Coverage and Power and how much distortion comes from the dome). I will give a report of them. I have nowhere found reviews or videos of them, only for hdw or hfw´s. I am still no fan of dome cams, but these are the only one with audio in/out and indoor look designed. A bullet for private indoor looks a bit strange. And the wifi series (k35) and similar are compared for the price with to bad low light performance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive compared the Dahua 4MP's up with Dahua Starlights, 0.03Lux sux.
Dahua 4MP Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5421E-Z)

Do what ever you want; but personally I will not spend another dime on a 4MP camera unless its sole purpose is capturing license plates.. they are pretty much crap and I just threw out 2 of em I installed last summer.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree to you, that the details under lowlight are better with the sony sensors. But i also see still advantages for the normal 4mp ones. The availability, the price, more details on daytime. It´s every time a decision for different purposes.
But only one topic here is about a hdbw version, and there are only 2 pictures. For the ir reason, its not enough to decide.

And i can give them back. My hope is, that the hdbw4431e-as has a better ir coverage. the room is only 15m², so ir power is normally not a question. But the more the better the night picture. But what does the dome do with so many ir dots? I suggest more reflection dots. Especially with the high power ir leds i made some bad expericences with a hfw 2431r-z, this one has a horrible ir spot of only 20 degrees for a cam which is used for 100 degrees ... But with external ir its a realy good picture for the price.

i asked andy and i still wait for the prices. But i am in no hurry. But if the cheaper hdbw4431 will suits it would be nice. I need 2 of them when i replace my foscam also.

If my time will allows it, i take snapshots also from same position indoor with my hdw5231r-z.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree to you, that the details under lowlight are better with the sony sensors. But i also see still advantages for the normal 4mp ones. The availability, the price, more details on daytime. It´s every time a decision for different purposes.
But only one topic here is about a hdbw version, and there are only 2 pictures. For the ir reason, its not enough to decide.

And i can give them back. My hope is, that the hdbw4431e-as has a better ir coverage. the room is only 15m², so ir power is normally not a question. But the more the better the night picture. But what does the dome do with so many ir dots? I suggest more reflection dots. Especially with the high power ir leds i made some bad expericences with a hfw 2431r-z, this one has a horrible ir spot of only 20 degrees for a cam which is used for 100 degrees ... But with external ir its a realy good picture for the price.

i asked andy and i still wait for the prices. But i am in no hurry. But if the cheaper hdbw4431 will suits it would be nice. I need 2 of them when i replace my foscam also.

If my time will allows it, i take snapshots also from same position indoor with my hdw5231r-z.
There is a small increase in daytime detail. 4mp camera do NOT have double the pixels per foot as a 2mp camera. It is not linear. Also when you have a varifocal camera you can zoom in to the precise coverage are often giving you the same or MORE ppf than a fixed lens capturing unnecessary content.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a small increase in daytime detail. 4mp camera do NOT have double the pixels per foot as a 2mp camera. It is not linear. Also when you have a varifocal camera you can zoom in to the precise coverage are often giving you the same or MORE ppf than a fixed lens capturing unnecessary content.
You are perfectly right. I like to buy from Andy, but after my suneyes cam has gone after only 1 year, I compare the benefit of ordering from HongKong to what i get from my local distributor. In warranty cases for a expensive cam (170 Euro + Tax + DHL Express charge because of missing shipping costs i payed 232 Euro!) i can also buy for the similar price the hdbw5431r-z from Germany (i said its a special price, the retail price is in Europe over 450 Euro! the pic is from a one of two official german dahua distris where i order for my customers from).

upload_2017-2-8_21-51-23.png

Nayr has done a very good work for testing all the starlight's and i also like them, but the availability here in Germany is zero. They are not listed or not in stock.

Anyway, the hdxx5xx3xr-z are good cams. All of them with a zoom have an aperture of 1.4, which is much better than 2.0 (2.4 times more lightsensitive) And if we compare to other manufactures, i don´t know an other one for this level of price, quality, functionality.

For my children's room i know i need minimum >90 degrees with a maximum distance of 5m. In this case also a fixed lens will work fine. Its not a security setup ;) the hdbw4431 is much cheaper with 145€.

The parts i buy for myself are for testing and if they perform fine, i also install them for my customers, and my distributor is happy about my investigations :).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I brokem first trying to franken camera something