2017 Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), ePoE, NEW!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy - I'd like to purchase a couple of these cameras and would like to know the best way to proceed with an order. I've emailed you a couple of times at the kingsecurity email address and have never received a reply.
Really? Haven't found it,sorry. For this model right now no stock, but can ship after our holiday, i think around 11th.Oct can ship out, this model not easy to get the stock, around 2 months this time, i booked around 60pcs, so can sell for a while.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, 7 months later is this 5231 the latest and greatest? Assuming that we all know and love low light performance and that we understand there is a trade off with the higher pixel density cams. I like that this cam is good in low light and that it has audio. So, is the 5231 still compelling and with no competition in sight?

Thanks,

Robert

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see purchasing 3 or 4 or 6! :) I think these will likely be the staple of my system. However, I would like one cam at my front door on a high ceiling (11-12’). Also, I could use something that would be a pin hole size. I recall being at NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) a couple of years ago where the guts of a GoPro were mounted into a baseball cap. The cam was on the button, very small. The rest of the guts were wired elsewhere down your back.... but the cam reveal was VERY small. So, at my front door or rear door I would like to have something no larger than a peep hole or doorbell in size and very unobtrusive. Also, I like to catch video of the critters that come to my door at night.. if I had a critter cam just 9” off the ground then I would catch those guys. Also, I like the peep hole on the door is a gray location if it could be made to be unobtrusive with a clean POE line hidden. Okay, that should get you busy for a while.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, 7 months later is this 5231 the latest and greatest? Assuming that we all know and love low light performance and that we understand there is a trade off with the higher pixel density cams. I like that this cam is good in low light and that it has audio. So, is the 5231 still compelling and with no competition in sight?
This has some folks interested:
Dahua 4k Starlight with 1/2 sensor (CVI only for now)

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will this camera model work with a Unifi PoE+ or PoE 24V passive port? I don't need extra cable length.
I'd like to know this too. I have a Unifi POE+ 500w Switch and also a TP Link POE+ switch, will either of these work?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This camera uses regular (802.3af) PoE. I haven't seen anyone post where a PoE+ switch couldn't support that.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera uses regular (802.3af) PoE. I haven't seen anyone post where a PoE+ switch couldn't support that.
On the fence between the Z and ZE, not sure which one to get.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the Unifi PoE+ 250w switch and two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE running on that along with other Dahua and other brands of cameras and APs. I haven't had any devices that switch cannot run yet, there is a new PoE in development which uses more watts than PoE+ can support but I have only seen 1 Dahua model so far that says it needs that and it was so far out of my price range it didn't bother me much.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Going forward, seems like the new ePoE series is going to be the new norm now, at least according to Dahua

Vincent

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), do you currently have stock of this camera, and do you still have 5% off? I wish to order one to be sent to Australia.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), do you currently have stock of this camera, and do you still have 5% off? I wish to order one to be sent to Australia.
This model will replace the IPC-HDW5231R-Z to be the only model at Ecosavy 3.0 series. IPC-HDW5231R-Z this week will all use up, and totally ends.
But will have a lite series will use the same housing as HDW5231R-Z, model is IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Vincent

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, do you have a link to this on your store? What's the best way to purchase for Australia?

The camera location is for front of house facing driveway. What is the quality difference like between this ze unit and the
SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera location is for front of house facing driveway. What is the quality difference like between this ze unit and the
SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ?
IMO, the image quality is practically the same, but the 5231 has more zoom (up to 13.5mm), where as the SD1A is up to 8.1mm. Depending on how far away you need to see up your driveway, the 5231 may give you an image with more detail (from being zoomed in more). You can use the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 website to bring up a Google Maps image of your house, position these cameras on the front of the house, drag the virtual guy into your driveway, then get a simulated view of what the camera images would look like.

Remember that the 5231 is not a true PTZ. You have to set the Pan and Tilt manually when you install it (by pointing the camera ball towards what you want it cover). The Zoom is electronic, so you can change it anytime without having to climb back up and touch the camera, but the auto-focus that the camera does after you change the zoom can take a few seconds, which makes it impractical to try and use this camera to quickly zoom in on something interesting. The SD1A is a true PTZ. It can be electronically be panned, tilted and zoomed (with a much quicker auto-focus than the 5231). It does not have any auto track capabilities, so it won't follow objects around.

Andy's email is kingsecurity2014 at 163.com. Might shoot him an email about your shipping question. He's based in China and ships worldwide via DHL. His AliExpress store is here: AliExpress