2021 April Dahua Full Color Camera

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
With all the additions of the 4K cameras and the 4MP cameras my system has taken a hit with my latest Dahua 4K PTZ DH-SD8A820WA-HNF installation. I have been going over things inch by inch to get it back under control. I hope I do not have to upgrade my computer with the I5-8259U processor. Anyways here is what I have done. I will see tonight how this has all worked out. As of now things are working good. It is at night where things start to go downhill.

1. Updated to IMVS-4200 Client software to the latest version which has helped.
2. Upgraded the firm ware for most of my 5442 cameras. Also a couple of other cameras that were not doing the substream without problems.
3. I added more memory to my computer as it was getting over 90%. Went from 8gb to 32gb.
4. I also upgraded a couple of data cables. One going to my computer was CAT6 250mhz and I had one that was CAT6 500mgz. The other was a Cat5 going to an NVR. I upgraded to a CAT6 23AWG solid copper.

So we shall see what happens when I purchase the new 4K Dahua that Wildcat_1 is testing. Will that push my system over the edge again? :p

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
With all the additions of the 4K cameras and the 4MP cameras my system has taken a hit with my latest Dahua 4K PTZ DH-SD8A820WA-HNF installation. I have been going over things inch by inch to get it back under control. I hope I do not have to upgrade my computer with the I5-8259U processor. Anyways here is what I have done. I will see tonight how this has all worked out. As of now things are working good. It is at night where things start to go downhill.

1. Updated to IMVS-4200 Client software to the latest version which has helped. Also a couple of other cameras that were not doing the substream without problems.
2. Upgraded the firm ware for most of my 5442 cameras. Also a couple of other cameras that were not doing the substream without problems.
3. I added more memory to my computer as it was getting over 90%. Went from 8gb to 32gb.
4. I also upgraded a couple of data cables. One going to my computer was CAT6 250mhz and I had one that was CAT6 500mgz. The other was a Cat5 going to an NVR. I upgraded to a CAT6 23AWG solid copper.

So we shall see what happens when I purchase the new 4K Dahua that Wildcat_1 is testing. Will that push my system over the edge again? :p
hahah time for the @Parley infrastructure & topology fund;)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be time for a new CPU. I presume you're using a laptop as U processors are designed for low power laptops and are limited to a TDP of ony 15W. If not, interesting a manufacturer would put it in a desktop.....

Nearset desktop designated CPU I could find in Passmark CPU charts was an older i3-10,300 which is actually quite a bit faster (8,833 vs 8,207)

A more recent i5-10400 (@$190) scores 12,414 ie a whopping 50% faster.

So for all intents and purposes, your current CPU is a bit dated with a modern lower end CPU 50% faster and that's without considering any wear slow down.

It looks like the 8259U was a high end laptop cpu (nearly $600 for the CPU alone!), at the time if the pricing is accurate to the day and not current day demands as a rareity, but CPU's have moved on.

I'd consider starting a rebuild or refurb purchase fund for the longer term.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be time for a new CPU. I presume you're using a laptop as U processors are designed for low power laptops and are limited to a TDP of ony 15W. If not, interesting a manufacturer would put it in a desktop.....

Nearset desktop designated CPU I could find in Passmark CPU charts was an older i3-10,300 which is actually quite a bit faster (8,833 vs 8,207)

So for all intents and purposes, your current CPU is a bit dated with a modern lower end CPU 50% faster and that's without considering any wear slow down.

It looks like the 8259U was a high end laptop cpu (nearly $600 for the CPU alone!), at the time if the pricing is accurate to the day and not current day demands as a rareity, but CPU's have moved on.

I think you are correct. Also it has a built in video "card" that may also be part of the problem. I run color 24/7 and have everything set at "best". During the day it is just fine. However as night sets in the CPU rate soars. I am also thinking of rearranging my windows to 11 cameras and 5 cameras respectively. That would be perimeter showing the sidewalks and streets, and then the back yard. Right now my main window is 16 cameras on IVMS Client 4200.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
As a follow up to my above post. Well, changing the custom views on IVMS Client 4200 to a "perimeter" view with 11 cameras and a "backyard" view with 5 cameras has solved my problem for now. I also have a 3rd view for my 4 license plate cameras. I plan on adding some more 4K cameras with the larger sensors as they come on the market. I am sure that will change things once again. :)

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As a follow up to my above post. Well, changing the custom views on IVMS Client 4200 to a "perimeter" view with 11 cameras and a "backyard" view with 5 cameras has solved my problem for now. I also have a 3rd view with my 4 license plate cameras. I plan on adding some more 4K cameras with the larger sensors as they come on the market. I am sure that will change things once again. :)
Start saving now @Parley ;)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

I am using an Intel NUC Model NUC8i5BEH. Looking at an Intel NUC11TNHi7 as I can transfer some of my components over. However it is only around 22% faster but does have double the cache from 6M to 12M. Any input is appreciated. I am going to install a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD in my present NUC and would transfer it to my new computer. Present unit is the Samsung 970 EVO.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Should be nice and fast and I always use the Samsung Evo's never had any trouble with them in the past.
I hope so. Right now I think it is the processor that is the bottle neck. If I stay with the Intel Nuc lineup I can transfer over the components.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Is 22% faster enough? I don't know. Only you can judge that.

Maybe have a check in the CPU vs BI charts for a similar setup to yours camera wise.

Looking at that system for $649 it wouldn't cost a disimilar amount to build a system yourself based around the i5-10400 which scores 12,419 vs the 10,500 of your proposed processor or in other words double the difference ie going to be somewhere around 44% instead of 22% uplift.

Possible build from PC part Picker for $660:

�����
Processor
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Intel Core i5-10400
Intel Core i5-10400, 6 Cores & 12 Threads Desktop Processor with Intel UHD Graphics 630
Brand:
Intel
Model:
Core i5-10400
Cores:
Threads:
Socket Type:
LGA 1200
Base Speed:
2.9 GHz
Turbo Speed:
4.3 GHz
View More Details
$199Buy from Amazon
Motherboard
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, MSI MAG B460 TORPEDO
MSI Torpedo MAG Intel B460 LGA 1200 ATX DDR4-SDRAM Motherboard
Brand:
MSI
Model:
MAG B460 TORPEDO
Chipset:
Intel B460
Form Factor:
ATX
Socket Type:
LGA 1200
View More Details
$128.21Buy from Amazon
CPU CoolerADD Component
Case
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Corsair Carbide 100R
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case
Brand:
Corsair
Model:
Carbide 100R
Side Panel:
Steel
Cabinet Type:
ATX Mid Tower
Color:
Black
$57.42Buy from Amazon
Graphics CardADD Component
RAM
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Patriot Memory Viper Gaming RGB
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit
Brand:
Patriot Memory
Model:
Viper Gaming RGB
RAM Size:
16 GB
Quantity:
2 x 8 GB
RAM Type:
DDR4
View More Details
$66.99Buy from Amazon
RAMAdd Another RAM
Storage
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Samsung 970 EVO
Samsung EVO 970 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2-2280 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology & 1024MB Cache
Brand:
Samsung
Model:
970 EVO
Capacity:
1 TB
Type:
SSD
Interface:
PCIe 3.0 x4
Cache Memory:
1024 MB
Form Factor:
M.2-2280
$139.99Buy from Amazon
StorageAdd Another Storage
Case CoolerADD Component
Power Supply
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, be quiet! Pure Power 11
be quiet! Pure Power 11, 80+ Gold Certified 500W Power Supply
Brand:
be quiet!
Model:
Pure Power 11
Power:
500 W
Efficiency:
80+ Gold
Color:
Black
$68.80
That includes your 1TB Samsung 970 upgrade so works out cheaper than the pre-built system which I believe is $649 + the cost of your Samsung M.2 1TB upgrade.

What's missing is Windows - could either try to activate your current licence, bit of fast talking to Windows support might get it activated if it rejects which it probably will with a total hardware change or the saving on the Samsung upgrade will pay for a Windows Licence (BTW Win 11 on the way!)

One last point about my possible build, the case is MIDI because Micro seem to be in short supply + Ignore the fact the RAM is RGB - you can either turn it off if that feature exists or set it to one colour. Reason for the choice was the price - at $66 for 16GB of top branded gaming spec ram (I imagine it supports XMP profile but haven't checked), it's unbeatable if it's compatible with your motherboard.

Never looked if the case contains fans, but at less than $10 for a cheap fan, not a factor.

I've also not specc'ed a CPU cooler as with a mesh case it should be ok, but if not, there are some decentish ones for not too much considering your demands will be low at standard speeds. eg: you could choose something like this for $26. Raijintek Rhea CPU Air Cooler.

BTW there are cheaper parts. I spent more on eg the motherboard than it was necessary because the MSI's usually have good power stages. Yes you won't be overclocking. But a good power stage at idle should last a very long time when comapred to a cheap power stage with cheap capacitors that's being utilised at a much higher workload.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Is 22% faster enough? I don't know. Only you can judge that.

Maybe have a check in the CPU vs BI charts for a similar setup to yours camera wise.

Looking at that system for $649 it wouldn't cost a disimilar amount to build a system yourself based around the i5-10400 which scores 12,419 vs the 10,500 of your proposed processor or in other words double the difference ie going to be somewhere around 44% instead of 22% uplift.

Possible build from PC part Picker for $660:

�����
Processor
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Intel Core i5-10400
Intel Core i5-10400, 6 Cores & 12 Threads Desktop Processor with Intel UHD Graphics 630
Brand:
Intel
Model:
Core i5-10400
Cores:
Threads:
Socket Type:
LGA 1200
Base Speed:
2.9 GHz
Turbo Speed:
4.3 GHz
View More Details
$199Buy from Amazon
Motherboard
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, MSI MAG B460 TORPEDO
MSI Torpedo MAG Intel B460 LGA 1200 ATX DDR4-SDRAM Motherboard
Brand:
MSI
Model:
MAG B460 TORPEDO
Chipset:
Intel B460
Form Factor:
ATX
Socket Type:
LGA 1200
View More Details
$128.21Buy from Amazon
CPU CoolerADD Component
Case
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Corsair Carbide 100R
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case
Brand:
Corsair
Model:
Carbide 100R
Side Panel:
Steel
Cabinet Type:
ATX Mid Tower
Color:
Black
$57.42Buy from Amazon
Graphics CardADD Component
RAM
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Patriot Memory Viper Gaming RGB
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit
Brand:
Patriot Memory
Model:
Viper Gaming RGB
RAM Size:
16 GB
Quantity:
2 x 8 GB
RAM Type:
DDR4
View More Details
$66.99Buy from Amazon
RAMAdd Another RAM
Storage
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, Samsung 970 EVO
Samsung EVO 970 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2-2280 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology & 1024MB Cache
Brand:
Samsung
Model:
970 EVO
Capacity:
1 TB
Type:
SSD
Interface:
PCIe 3.0 x4
Cache Memory:
1024 MB
Form Factor:
M.2-2280
$139.99Buy from Amazon
StorageAdd Another Storage
Case CoolerADD Component
Power Supply
pc builder, custom pc builder, pc part picker, pcpartpicker, build my pc, be quiet! Pure Power 11
be quiet! Pure Power 11, 80+ Gold Certified 500W Power Supply
Brand:
be quiet!
Model:
Pure Power 11
Power:
500 W
Efficiency:
80+ Gold
Color:
Black
$68.80
That includes your 1TB Samsung 970 upgrade so works out cheaper than the pre-built system which I believe is $649 + the cost of your Samsung M.2 1TB upgrade.

What's missing is Windows - could either try to activate your current licence, bit of fast talking to Windows support might get it activated if it rejects which it probably will with a total hardware change or the saving on the Samsung upgrade will pay for a Windows Licence (BTW Win 11 on the way!)

One last point about my possible build, the case is MIDI because Micro seem to be in short supply + Ignore the fact the RAM is RGB - you can either turn it off if that feature exists or set it to one colour. Reason for the choice was the price - at $66 for 16GB of top branded gaming spec ram (I imagine it supports XMP profile but haven't checked), it's unbeatable if it's compatible with your motherboard.

Never looked if the case contains fans, but at less than $10 for a cheap fan, not a factor.

I've also not specc'ed a CPU cooler as with a mesh case it should be ok, but if not, there are some decentish ones for not too much considering your demands will be low at standard speeds. eg: you could choose something like this for $26. Raijintek Rhea CPU Air Cooler.

BTW there are cheaper parts. I spent more on eg the motherboard than it was necessary because the MSI's usually have good power stages. Yes you won't be overclocking. But a good power stage at idle should last a very long time when comapred to a cheap power stage with cheap capacitors that's being utilised at a much higher workload.
Thank you for the reply. I will look into it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I found my main problem. I was checking to see what programs are on my start up list. Well I found two that should not be there and had a high impact. One was Microsoft One Drive and my Garmin watch program. Well, I deleted the Microsoft One Drive completely and removed the Garmin watch program from my start up menu. That seems to have helped things quite abit. Right now I am running all 16 cameras and so far so good. Bring on the 4k cameras. Hahahahahaha

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Does someone know if there will be a turret version with the new 1/1.2" CMOS 8MP ? And maybe also a IR version with this sensor?
HIK also only have a colorvu bullet with this sensor.
What is the reason ? Yes the casing should be bigger (like on 4mp colorvu g2) ... but i think thats not a big problem ?