2042 bullet UART/serial connector port?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of 4MP bullets (2042's) that show very little signs of life. Stickers & serial numbers indicate they are US-spec DC-2CD2042WD-I w/ firmware v5.3.0_1515224, but i have no idea of their history. The IR LED's come on when plugged in, but that's about it. Don't show up in SADP, even after 10+ minutes. Don't ARP for 192.0.0.64 like most 'bricked' cams I've encountered. No networking at all that I can tell, after running Wireshark for some time. So it looks like a serial recovery may be needed, but I can't seem to find the UART/serial connector on these units. Anyone have a photo of where that would be in a 2042 bullet (non-F) version? TIA. Paul.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I recall - and I only had one of those briefly that I bought / fixed and re-sold on eBay - I have a slightly vague recollection that the 4-pin serial console connector is on the underside of the system board.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some progress. found the connector under the main board as described.

have it hooked up to TTL adapter per Alastair's picture in comment #3 of
Manual: Create console/serial access to Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-I

the patient:

The patient

It's been ages since i did any terminal work (use to write ATA scripts for modems) so not sure i've got this all set up right.

the Putty Setup (win10)

putty_com3

not getting anything in Putty.

any tips/tricks? thanx.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your connections and the PuTTY config look OK to me, the colours match what I'm using.
The assumption is that the colour scheme for the Prolific USB adapter is consistent.

There have been some problems with the Prolific PL2303HXD drivers (if that's the version you have) - maybe try the 'official' ones here : Products

Something to try as a test as well - connect RX to TX on the USB adapter and see if PuTTY echoes what you type.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm. i do see my characters echo'd when i connect the adapter's white/green (rx/tx) together.

next is to try the setup on a known good cam, i guess.