25mm Lens for ds-2cd2032-i Mini-Bullet

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's some people trying to do LPR with their Hikvision cameras at longer distance of 40-60' or have a requirement to ID someone about 100' away but there's no telephoto option with these cameras beyond 11mm. Wrightwood Surveillance now has 25mm lenses you can use with these cameras. Here's some pictures of the lens and what it sees relative to the 11mm factory lens. Images below have been resized to fit in the post but not edited.

25mm lens

Backyard Daytime - 11MM

Backyard Daytime - 25mm

Backyard Nighttime - 25mm (at 1/200th/sec exposure time at 45')

Lake View - 11mm

Lake View - 25mm

As you can see from this last photo, depth of field is not as deep as it is with the 11m lens. I would estimate from the image above that there's about a 100-150' depth of field in this case where the boat in the houseboat is in focus, the boats on the dock are in focus but the boat on the far side of the lake is not in focus. If you focus it for closer objects, the depth of field should be proportionate. Clarity, sharpness, optical distortion, chromatic distortion is good, comparable to the factory 11mm lens.

When installing this lens, it's sticks out about 5mm further than the factory lens of which 4mm fits and 1mm makes the lens mount stick out about 1mm requiring either slightly longer screws to hold it in or do what I did, leave the screws off and allow the pressure of the joining the 2 halves of the cameras to hold it in place. I had no problems doing this and I moved the camera to different locations and the lens did not shift.

tonydi

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, that's an amazing difference....I can't even SEE the license plate in the Backyard Daytime 11mm pic! :D

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's back. Also they tell me a larger shipment is coming in on Tuesday. The demand has been higher than expected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed the listing for the 25mm lens says you can order the camera with that lens installed. Is it special-order-only with an installation fee?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Email and ask them, but basically they will end up sending me the camera, I will swap out the lens for them, so there's extra shipping and time to do it. My guess would add $50 to doing it yourself.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you concur the 25mm to be about 1/2 the fov of the 12mm and thus ~11 degree horizontal field of view? And showing ~20ft wide at 100ft? (according to the jvsg calculator)

I might have to have a go at that for one particular camera.

On the other hand (being that the spouse prefers domes) are there any telephoto options for domes, to go beyond 12mm?

Maybe not due to disassembly and fitment issues, but figured I'd ask ;)

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to change the lens on a Hikvision DS-2CD3332-I Turret/Eyeball and get good license plate capture at 30-50'. If anyone want this camera with the 25mm lens, English camera, fully tested, can put any firmware you like on it including 5.2. I will sell it for $199.99 shipped.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, finally got around to cracking open my 2032 to put the 25mm lens in there. I focused it, got a sharp image and found that I need a housing stretcher. I'm shy about 4mm.

At this point, not sure what to do. I can put standoffs on the sensor PCB to mount it back from the front. Just need to scare up some M2 x 4mm standoffs and hope there is some extra room in the housing to fit everything. Which is not likely.

Has anyone else successfully completed the 25mm lens swap from a DS-2CD2032-I 4mm?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just put in mine in without screwing down the board holding the lens and let the ribbon cable put pressure against the board to hold it in place. You can get longer screws to hold it in without standoffs. Mine's been running fine for 2 months now, no shift in lens or focus. Also have it a ds-2cd3332-i eyeball camera.

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
I did this 25mm lens swap today on the 2032, works great. Ordered it from Wrightwood but the page I bookmarked with lens no longer exist.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
So, I picked up a couple of 25mm lenses from Wrightwood, now back in stock. Trying to fit one to my hik 2032F 12mm, but I think I'm having the same problem encountered by CamFan, in that the housing doesn't seem long enuf for the longer lens. There's about 3-4mm gap in the housing pieces with the focused 25mm lens right up against the glass at the front. See attached pix. Maybe Hik changed the design or the F version (with SD card) differs from the non-F version, but i can't make sense of how networkcameracritic (RIP) and camo made this fit. I'm thinking of taking a dremel to the standoffs that hold the sensor/lens plate assembly (marked up in yellow). Does that seem like a bad idea? If so, how else have people done this mod? pix would be helpful, if you've got any. thanx, Paul.
22960119525_c211ef48e7_k.jpg22542012698_a90d12d850_k.jpg22934296036_fba78b1342_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking for such a focal length, why not go with the Huisun 10x PTZ Mini-Bullet which has a 5.1mm-51mm? Zoom it into the focal length you need and you're done? Just wondering.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're looking for such a focal length, why not go with the Huisun 10x PTZ Mini-Bullet which has a 5.1mm-51mm? Zoom it into the focal length you need and you're done? Just wondering.
Totally agree here, the IR won't make the range.
He changed the pillars for smaller ones.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
oh, i may eventually, but for now, i already have a donor Hik bullet and the $15 lens from Wrightwood, so i thought I'd try that.
If i have to, I'll spend another $150, but seems like overkill to point a vari-focal PTZ at one place... shill much? :)

MaxIcon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd guess that they ran into the Chinese supply chain problem - the initial lens went out of stock, and they ordered more, either from a new vendor or from the same one. Either way, the lens was made by someone different to different specs (same focal length, though), the back focus distance is longer than on the original lens, and it focuses at a different point.

This is one of the hazards of buying Chinese lenses, and why the camera manufacturers should sell lenses guaranteed to work with their cams.

I had good luck with this 25mm ebay lens. It's for a 1/2" sensor, so will give you more zoom and a narrower FOV than a 25mm 1/3" lens, which I like. Mine needed slightly longer screws for the sensor board, but the housing fit fine. The only downside is some chromatic aberration (purple fringing), but it's not too bad, and it gives a very good plate read when the light's good. The IR is useless at night, and the 2032's effective resolution is much worse in low light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121375945476?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought mine some time ago, but they spec the lens in detail, including the back focus length, so assuming that's still valid, it should fit your 2032.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I remember just letting it float in the housing. I was able to close it up fine, bit of pressure acting on the lens, but it's been working since.

Ideally the right standoffs and screws can be sourced, and possibly a spacer for the housing could be 3D printed, but lots of work there.

In in your case, yes Hik may have hardware differences and lens might be different, so may not be possible to squeeze it in.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I've come realize my issues getting the lens to fit in the case (different than reported by others) were because i chose to convert an F-model (with the SD card) that has slightly different
casing and innards. As I ended up cutting down the standoffs, it made for a solid fit, but I cannot re-install the original lens as it won't focus at the new distance. just an FYI, for posterity...