[2CD2042WD-I] Foggy/misty picture after rain

danpolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a setup of several hikvision and axis cameras at my restaurant. I have 2CD2432 for indoors and a couple of 2CD2042WD-I for outdoors. Everything works like a charm, except one of the outdoor 2042's got a foggy picture after a rainy day.
First I thought its on the outside of the camera and tried to wipe it, but then I noticed water drops inside the camera. So I put the camera down (its mounted on a tree) and dried it for a couple of days indoors and put it back on the tree. Next rainy day and the same thing all over again. So I thought the camera was not okay and ordered a new one.
After switching the cameras and after the next rain, again, foggy picture.

Am I doing something obvious wrong? Can anybody tell me how I can get rid of the fog?
Every outdoor camera of mine is exposed to the same rain, some of them even more, and none of them has any fog, except for the two cameras I put in that spot.

I have attached pictures of before and after the rain and of the camera itself on the tree.

Thank you guys in advance and sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker. :)

Regards,
Daniel

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the cabling is not weather-sealed, and the camera ethernet enters downwards with no 'drip loop'.
Any joints or ends exposed like that should have something like 'self-amalgamating tape' wrapped round to protect it.
How are the entries / exits in the junction box sealed?

danpolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your answer!
Please forgive me, but I dont really understand whats wrong with my drop loop. The cable goes down into a loop before it goes upwards into the camera, so the rain/water can drip off of the loop below the camera, isnt that a drip loop how its supposed to be? :D
Can water/humid in the junction box cause a foggy picture?
Do you have a link for the kind of tape you mean?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Please forgive me, but I dont really understand whats wrong with my drop loop.
I was thinking of how water might run into the junction box to a presumably unsealed join inside it, as the external 12V pigtail appears to be.
The camera cable entry is supposed to be sealed in manufacturing.
In the US I believe a common joint sealant (eg satellite cabling installations) is called 'coax seal'.