2CD2232-I5 EXIR vs DS-2CD2232-I5 (Mini Bullet)

taylor

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the title mislabel. It should read 2CD2232-I5 EXIR vs 2CD2032-I.

In a different thread I mentioned that I had the 2CD2232-I5 EXIR cameras.
I was asked:
Do you have any of the 2032 (non-EXIR bullet) models? I'm curious how they compare in price and night vision performance. And also if the EXIR reduces the frequency of bugs and spider webs in front of the lens?

By the specs and prices, it looks like the 2232 is about $30 more than the 2032, twice the size, 2 watts more power consumption, but a lot better at night vision.
In order to not derail that thread, I started this one for discussion comparing these cameras.
I'm hoping it'll be helpful and informative to people. I know that when I was trying to decide which cameras to get, I had a limited amount of information to go on.

Background:
I bought several single cameras from Nelly's Security at full retail price so I could compare one of each before buying 10+ from Aliexpress. When it came to the EXIR, it was clear I would have to order from Aliexpress with up to 6 week waiting, so I bit the bullet and just bought 10 of them rather than just 1. I wouldn't say that was a mistake, but I should have just got the 2032.
Actually I had the opportunity to get a Swann 16 camera NVR with 8 2032 cameras on sale and I should have done it. What I did was the same price (actually a little more) buying my own NVR and EXIR cameras. I don't think it's any better.

I have the following cameras:
1 - 2CD2032-I (mini bullet 3MP)
1 - 2CD2632F-IS (Large Varifocal with audio and MicroSD card slot)
1 - 2CD2332-I (EXIR Turret)
8 - 2CD2232-I5 (EXIR Bullet with 4mm Lens)
2 - 2CD2232-I5 (EXIR Bullet with 6mm Lens)
3 - 2CD2232-I5 (EXIR Bullet with 12mm Lens) ... Being shipped to me. I don't have them yet.

Posing the question:
Is the 2232 better than the 2032?
My answer is No.

I finally put up both cameras in a temporary make-shift way so I could compare the image quality. I started playing with the settings, and in the end I can hardly tell the difference. I almost prefer the cheaper 2032 image.

Cost:
The 2032 can be bought for as low as about $90 or so on Aliexpress (those may be Chinese versions) or for around $150 on US sites.
The 2232 is around $110-$120 on Aliexpress (Chinese) and $200 in the US.
The cost difference isn't huge unless you're buying 10 like I was.

Size:
The 2032 is small. It's very understated, easy to install in small places, and not an eyesore.
The 2232 is big. It's not huge like the 2632F Varifocal, but it's about twice as big as the 2032 in both diameter and length.

So are the trade-offs worth it? No. I sort of wish I had bought 2032 instead. In fact I may buy more 2032 and install them instead where they are visible in the front yard.

The two cameras mounted side by side, I configured them with identical settings. For the most part they were default settings unless otherwise stated. More could be done to tweak the settings for optimal quality, so these don't represent the best options.

I tested both cameras using only the 2232's IR, as well as using only the 2032's IR.
I also tested both quite a bit with IR off to look at noise. With IR off I also triggered my motion sensor lights (CFL driveway carriage lights and an LED porch light.) Also with all lighting off (only street lights and neighbor's lights) I tried a few variations with different exposure settings in daytime and nighttime modes.

Again, all of this is to compare:
Does the EXIR's square shaped IR emitters help IR dispersal?
Is the EXIR's low lux light sensitivity any better and less noisy?

IR LEDs:
The IR emitters on the EXIR may be marginally better. The lighting is a little bit more spread out than the 2032 which leaves a slightly brigher center hot spot. But overall, I don't see a much difference in the particular setting. At least not as much as I expected.

Noise:
I honestly don't see any difference in noise. They are both just as noisy in low light. With external light and IR, neither is better than the other in terms of noise. The 2032 actually looks a tad better with digital noise reduction set at 100. The EXIR camera is suppose to be better at low light sensitivity but I'm just not seeing it with the settings I've tried.

Color:
The only difference I see is when cranking the exposure up. The 2232 has a different color tone than the 2032. I think the 2032 is more color accurate

I have posted comparison screen grabs here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29026914@N04/sets/72157646395816086
All were captured in 1080p resolution mode.

Spider Webs:
I don't have that answer. I installed them permanently yet. I don't see how they are any less susceptible to spider webs.

Conclusion:
I'm a little bit bummed that I went through the expense and trouble to get the 2232 when in retrospect the 2032 is just as good and are more aesthetically pleasing.

If there are specific camera settings you would like me to try, let me know. I'll set both cameras identically and post the comparisons. In fact I ask that you please make suggestions. I'm not going to leave the cameras up like this for long since wires are hanging down and it looks bad. I'm going to start on installation soon.

--UPDATE--
I finally have some of my cameras mounted permanently. While it's not conclusive due to the difference of lighting, I'm finding that the 2CD2232-I5 does indeed perform a bit better at night. First, the IR illumination is a lot stronger. The way they are mounted it isn't a direct side by side comparison, but I wanted to get an update here to update the initial conclusion.

I'll try to get some better side-by-side comparison in the near future. Meanwhile I retract my initial assessment and conclude that the 2CD2232-I5 is better at night and possibly worth the investment if you have an area that is lit by the camer's IR for nighttime viewing. That being said, if you have a well lit porch or daytime use, the 2CD2032-I is smaller and works just as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is all very helpful! I love the comparison pictures too. Well done.

I believe the specs for the 2032 and 2232 only differ in Reset Button, Power Consumption, IR Range, Dimensions, and Weight. And for the most part that is what I am seeing in your comparisons.

What I'd be interested to see is what the image would look like if you tried your IR tests again with the cameras pointing higher up, like at the cars parked along the other side of the street, or even at the houses across the street. This would demonstrate whether or not the EXIR provides significantly better IR range like it is supposed to.

taylor

n3wb
Reaction score
For some reason I thought the EXIR cameras had a slightly more sensitive sensor, but looking at the specs again I can see that's not the case. I would be surprised if they weren't the same sensor or very close. So unless there is an IR benefit, I see few benefits to this over 2032.

I originally chose them because the IR on 2032 doesn't do well at the outer edges of the frame, especially at a distance. I was hoping the EXIR did a better job at that. I'll point the cameras out in the street and see if I can get some better distance comparisons like you said and see if the EXIR does improve over the 2032.

In some areas of my property there are motion lights that for the most part will activate when a subject is in a place where I want to record them, so I'm not sure I get any benefit.

I also have some 12mm cameras coming (about a week.) I'm going to use those to monitor street traffic, particularly cars coming and going on the street. This is specifically to get license plates and (hopefully) some facial detail at a distance. Ever since our city (San Jose) announced that it had disbanded the burglary unit due to budget cuts , theft is way up. This includes vehicles casing neighborhoods, people on foot trying to gain access to alarm panels by posing as ADT employees, cars following UPS/FedEx trucks, etc. Some residents are getting some helpful information on suspicious cars and people with cameras trained partially on the street. I'm going a bit overkill with it.
Anyway this use may be out of range of the IR (even for EXIR), but most of the bad activity is happening in the day time anyway (when people are not home.)
I have the 2CD2632F-IS which I focused to a full 12mm zoom and I can compare to that. It's huge camera and more expensive so I thought a 2032 or 2232 with 12mm lens would be a more reasonable solution.

Oh, I also have a couple of 6mm 2232 EXIR cameras. I'll see if I can get one of those in the mix here just to see.

So I'll do a more distance comparison and try to get the 6mm in with it tonight.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the honest and detailed feedback.

I looked at lots of brands, specs, reviews, etc. and figured I'd start low on the POE IP CAM expense scale with a few testers and work my way up to get something better if need be.

My question is:

Have you noticed any difference in live video feed quality at full 3MP, high FPS, high bandwidth etc?

My bullets and even the domes seem to be a bit fuzzier at 3MP (almost as if it were upscaled a bit from 2mp to 3mp) and do like a 1 2 3 skip thing when I crank up the quality and review at 1x 1:1 on screen. Like it populates the screen gradually figuring out more details, finishes and then starts over. Haven't had enough time to analyze it. Figured it might just be components that maybe were great at 1.3mp but not quite up to 3mp full bore processing. Since I intended to run the cameras at 1080, no big deal. But, it has been a minus point, for me. So I was wondering if maybe the more expensive cameras had more processing oomph and better high quality feed.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the turret 2332 camera at 3Mpixels. I noticed that when I turn ON the Digital Noise Reduction at 25 and above there is visible ghosting in moving objects like walking people especially if the contrast between the stationary background and the moving object is high. The ghosting turns into smudging of the face of walking people because the contrast of the face features is lower. These visual effects are even more worse during night mode with IRs on. Initially I had not noticed these effects when the scenes were static but after careful examination of the scenes with the walikng peopl and playing a lot with exposure, fps, and bitrate, I concluded that the Digital Noise Reduction is detrimental to face quality. I record continuously in a HIK 7604 NVR at 20fps, 3Mpixels and 8Mbps bitrate i.e. the highest possible encoding quality settings. Finally I turned off completely the DNR.

I also notice that moving scenes captured at 1/25 exposure tend to be blurry (not ghosted or smudged). When I increased the exposure at 1/50, the blurring was sgnificantly reduced. I also used WDR at 20. Anymore WDR tends to wash out hghlights.

Can you please make similar observations for the DNR and post back results?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My bullets and even the domes seem to be a bit fuzzier at 3MP (almost as if it were upscaled a bit from 2mp to 3mp) and do like a 1 2 3 skip thing when I crank up the quality and review at 1x 1:1 on screen. Like it populates the screen gradually figuring out more details, finishes and then starts over.
Most cameras actually are a bit fuzzier at higher resolutions, due to things like bayer filters. So if you have a 2 million pixel camera sensor, you don't actually have 2 million elements for each of red, green, and blue the way you would with an LCD monitor. Instead you have something like 1 million green sensor elements, 0.5 million red, and 0.5 million blue. The final full-color image is produced by interpolation.

The constantly shifting image quality you are seeing is normal for H264 and is most apparent when dealing with low bit rates. The 'skipping' part where it re-starts the cycle is the point where the video stream contains a new i-frame. So to fight this effect, you can increase the bit rate and/or increase the i-frame interval so there are fewer i-frames.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 'skipping' part where it re-starts the cycle is the point where the video stream contains a new i-frame. So to fight this effect, you can increase the bit rate and/or increase the i-frame interval so there are fewer i-frames.
This would work for live view?
Recorded video gives me no stutter/skip but live view seems to have a little stop and go.
I had matched frame rate and I-frame interval at 15, any suggested rates appreciated.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Recorded video gives me no stutter/skip but live view seems to have a little stop and go.
I had matched frame rate and I-frame interval at 15, any suggested rates appreciated.
Stuttering problems are mainly due to insufficient network capability to handle streaming properly OR inability of the CPU decoding the stream. Since the video playsback normally off a local hard disk then this implies that the encoding is succefull and the hard disks can stream properly the bitrate of the video.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How is your live view being done? Directly off the camera in its web interface or in VLC? Or is it in Blue Iris or something? If it is Blue Iris, then it is being re-encoded and you'll want to increase the streaming bit rate in Blue Iris settings.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Viewing NVR through browser (FF).
Network... only using 1.5% of max at most.
6 core processor, 20%.
Could it be my old/weak video card (Geforce 7300)?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What NVR? I don't have experience with any except Blue Iris. Most likely your NVR has streaming settings that you can change.

The graphics card should be more or less irrelevant.

Naphcon

n3wb
Reaction score
This is weird. So the exposures are set at the same? My 2232 I5 is MUCH better at night than my 2032 cameras. Its even better than the Empire w/ DWDR

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
ds-7608ni se8p
Hmm. Well I have no idea why recordings would be fine but live streaming would not. How many recordings do you view at a time? How many live streams at a time?

Maybe you can get a firmware upgrade for your NVR ...

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many recordings do you view at a time? How many live streams at a time?

Maybe you can get a firmware upgrade for your NVR ...
It's a live view of a single camera stream, the NVR is pulling 5 streams currently.
I'd like to upgrade the firmware to 2.39 but don't want to upgrade the cameras to 5.20 (required) due to the limited traversal of fields in that version.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a live view of a single camera stream, the NVR is pulling 5 streams currently.
I'd like to upgrade the firmware to 2.39 but don't want to upgrade the cameras to 5.20 (required) due to the limited traversal of fields in that version.
Sounds like it should work fine. Its not like you are trying to stream 8 at once or anything. Sorry I can't help.

taylor

n3wb
Reaction score
This is weird. So the exposures are set at the same? My 2232 I5 is MUCH better at night than my 2032 cameras. Its even better than the Empire w/ DWDR
Interesting. Maybe it's your placement or use case. Are you using it for longer distance viewing or is it monitoring something like a porch or side yard where there are more close-up objects to light?
I admit my "test" is not ideal and I want to do more comparisons. I'd love to get it on my driveway to see how they look. It's inconvenient to do so since I don't have it wired up to do that but I'm going to move the cameras around and do more.

Naphcon

n3wb
Reaction score
They were side by side looking into an area with no light, not even a street light and the opposing camera's IR was turned off when testing. Do you have extra light, either IR or other lights around that could make the 2032 seem close? Even if the 2232 is benefiting from it as well, the night picture is only going to get so good. Here was the samples I took. The 2232 isn't grainy at all, and the IR is spread out pretty good creating very minimal over exposure. These are taken at 1/30 exposure, 100 noise reduc, 25 contrast, and 20 WDR on both cameras

Attachments

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Big difference, one seems to be aimed lower.
Could the reflection off the snow be playing a part?

dalepa

Reaction score
Any final conclusions?

Im about to pick up about new 4 cams. I have several 2032's and they work well.

For $20 more are the 2232's worth it? I think the arm mount will work better for my use case and a larger camera might help scare off any intruders...