2Mp Starlight turrets

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From my point of view, there is a hell of a lot of light coloured surfaces whereby the IR is bouncing off give a false representation. Your millage my vary depending on your setup. I would like to see this camera running in a open dark field. I bet it would look nothing like this.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Attach the link and model of that 8mb Hikvision, some of us may be able to offer some explanation as to why it was it's so good
IMO, two light walls reflecting IR back into the scene (lighting it better) helps a bit. Looks like this camera has the 8MP 1/2.5" sensor, same as the older Dahua 5831s/new 1831C-PIR.

Sorry, didn't see your reply before I posted this. ::coffee needed::

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 8.08.24 AM.png

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf, first shot is from a 2MP Starlight, second shot is from a 6MP 1/2.9" camera (whose minimum illumination specs are pretty close to a 8MP 1/2.8").

For reference, I circled the same fence in both shots. Both cameras are roughly the same distance from the fence. I would expect the Hikvision you saw to have image quality similar to the second pic.

The higher MP cameras can work OK at night if there's enough light.

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf, first shot is from a 2MP Starlight, second shot is from a 6MP 1/2.9" camera (whose minimum illumination specs are pretty close to a 8MP 1/2.8").

For reference, I circled the same fence in both shots. Both cameras are roughly the same distance from the fence. I would expect the Hikvision you saw to have image quality similar to the second pic.

View attachment 40419

View attachment 40420
Nice reference @aristobrat, I only deal with <3mp cameras so could never offer such real life insight... :goodpost:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
WOW, just WOW is all I can say, what a difference, I appreciate that the cams aren't mounted in exactly the same place but those pictures have really enlightened me. I also hear what is being said, the 8Mp Hik is in a small confined area which I never really took into account before.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well another step forward, I've PM'ed Andy re prices for 6 of these cams, 6 130 junction boxes and the 152 pole mount.

Hoping he'll give me a price I simply can't refuse :)
Just make sure you purchase and stop chasing the MP dream ;) Better is always around the corner, but around that corner is better still and it never stops! I've been running these 2mp cameras and the previous model for years without issue or the need to move to 4MP never mind 8!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those videos provide a false representation of the camera. The are taken in closed quaters with highly reflective surfaces. Put the same camera out in the open and the image will be poor. There are MUCH better 8mp cameras with large sensors available from hik/ipct or dahua.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick update and a confession, still not ordered anything.

I keep on seeing posts here and drawn to do further reading which then un-makes my mind :(

Doesn't help that I've just watched a vid clip of an 8mb Hikvision camera taken in the night which to my eyes looked really good.
In colormode the 2mp Dahua is the best. The 8mp picture quality is superior, but moving objects is something different.... too small pixel size.... not enough light on the sensor...

I have the Dahua 5831r-ze and thinking of going the buy 2mp starlights. Much better at night. And i only want colormode at night. Infrared is useless...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Personal preference, IMO. If you want people to notice your cameras, I think bullets can be more noticeable than turrets. I also like how the turrets have built-in mics. Both can work well for residential. Domes can be another story. :banghead: :)

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My criteria for selecting a turret or bullet is based solely on the location. Turrets do tend to get more rain on the lens when they're not protected by an overhang, like an eave. In that case, a bullet may be a better solution. I have both Starlight turrets and bullets and they perform very equally other than rain/snow on the lens being more of a problem with a turret exposed to that.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you send me the model numbers so I can research them. I thinking about mixing them up yet all will be attached under an eve. I have already purchased two test turrets:

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

I’d like to get a bullet or two and a ptz starlight to test too

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
IPC-HDW4231E-S is the bullet I'm using. I also use the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE which is a fixed focal length turret version of the 5231 series, less expensive than the varifocal of the 5231.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Order places with Andy. I did look at option of using the 2231 and 4231 cams to save a bit of money but I really want cams with microphones so it would need to be the 4231 but looking at the specs it needs more light and has a higher f stop than the 5231 so thought it safer to go with 6 5231’s.

Was really shocked by the total amount, it all adds up Andy thanks for being patient with me and my requests

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Order places with Andy. I did look at option of using the 2231 and 4231 cams to save a bit of money but I really want cams with microphones so it would need to be the 4231 but looking at the specs it needs more light and has a higher f stop than the 5231 so thought it safer to go with 6 5231’s.

Was really shocked by the total amount, it all adds up Andy thanks for being patient with me and my requests
Just remember in the UK it is illegal to recorder audio without the persons consent. But if you don't tell them, they would never know :highfive: Unless you are using it in a court of law whereby it couldn't be used as evidence.

I do believe you can erect signs up to the entrance of your property stating that audio and visual recording taking place and by entering your property you agree to it... But I'm no lawyer so I'd check rather than take my word for it.
Come to think about it I'm sure McDonald in the UK do this and record audio and display a sign saying so.

EDIT.. Spelling and wording

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 5231 or Andy. For what it's worth, the 4231EM-ASE cameras I have perform on a par with the 5231 and have mics.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 5231 or Andy. For what it's worth, the 4231EM-ASE cameras I have perform on a par with the 5231 and have mics.
Really? The specs I looked at showed a max f stop of 2 and it requiring more light input? Unless I looked at the wrong cam. Anyway Andy’s invoice has now been paid so as they say “onwards and upwards” or for the younger members “to infinity and beyond”