2nd Amendment thread

Reaction score
10mm will stop bears, in fact it's fast becoming a popular bear carry calibre in Alaska. Its considerably more energy than a 9mm, very similar to .357 mag but without the recoil.

Don't take a 9mm though as many do, way underpowered although there are tales of people dropping them with 9mm (there are also tales of people mauled to death with 9mm! General concensus, underpowered).

....<snip>... That's one of the reasons for the rise of 10mm in Alaska. Low recoil.

Another good bet is a shotgun with slugs but not exactly concealed carry!

I've always fancied the 7.5fk. But not possible in the land of the unfree. Also, the teddy bears don't usually charge over here.
Yup-- I have a rifled slug barrel for my 12 gauge Rem 870-- but weight is a big factor there for me, thus my questions about Bear calibers. Everyone going will have bear spray-- no exceptions. We will likely have 2 or 3 guns along as well, but our best defense really is the size of our group-- so far at 8 and possibly up to 12 by the time we do this.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there because I live in a state where open carry is illegal and you are going to a state where it's legal....

AR pistol chambered in 300blk.

With a 7.5 inch barrel and no fancy mall ninja accessories on it, you can get it down to around 5 lbs with a single point sling to have it ready at all times. 300blk ballistics are still very good with pistol length barrels. No doubt it would put a hurtin' on a bear and follow up shots would be very controllable.

Of course to get it at your desired price point, you'd probably have to build it, but that's half the fun with ARs anyway.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I always wanted a 44, but I just can't justify the cost of one now. I also have always been curious about the 10mm...have heard good things about it. For a auto, I think it is great. I really enjoy shooting my 40 s&w and friends hate me for it. :)
It's a love it or hate it calibre. The FBI adopted the 10mm for a while as they knew 9mm ws unpowered. However, agent accuracy fell so they went back to 9mm. It seems though a lot of the accuracy fall was not the gun but rather many more slightly built agents and female agents weren't used to / couldn't handle the increased recoil even though the increase is supposed to be relatively mild for the increase in power and were flinching when shooting. 10mm is proven accurate in practised hands.

There was also the Harold FIsh case where Mr. Fish was imprisoned for excessive force for using a 10mm in self defence. Although it was eventually overturned, it caused a knock in the calibre's popularity, although it should be noted the ruling wouldn't be unique to 10mm. It effectively said anything over 9mm was excessive. The claibre i starting to bounce back now though in popularity.

There's a brief review here. I wasn't looking for one but came across it looking for the Fish case name as I couldn't remember it:

As I said above it's your follow up shots that are important. Again they reckon you'll only get off 2 or 3 shots against a charging bear and under pressure a miss is very likely. Heavy calibres such as the magnums are alright in theory, but go too heavy and those shots become 1. Miss and it's all over.

We're lucky over here. If we get charged by a bear it's a teddy bear and there's usaully a girl in suit and red light involved. Needless to say, different type of shooting.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, take bear spray. It’s oleoresin capsicum aka pepper spray but highly concentrated. Buy 2 cans and practice with the first one before you go on your trip.

I was once chased by a black bear as I was going to the out house in BC Canada where I grew up. Pepper spray allowed me to get back into the cabin.
I heard once that you can tell grizzly scat from black bear scat because the grizzly scat smells like pepper spray! :lmao::poop:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Not surprised by that. It does seem irresponsible. If a kiddie got a hold of it they would probably think it a toy. Can see both sides of the argument, but it's better as a one off museum piece rather than an actual functioning for sale gun.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Glad the co. pulled it.
I'm thinking it was for collectors anyway, or people with money they can afford to burn on useless stuff, which is certainly their prerogative.
I don't think any serious gun person would have one, personally I'd have to be hard-pressed to fire it, thinking it would explode in my hands into a hundred pieces! :lol:

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
+1^^.
Glad the co. pulled it.
I'm thinking it was for collectors anyway, or people with money they can afford to burn on useless stuff, which is certainly their prerogative.
I don't think any serious gun person would have one, personally I'd have to be hard-pressed to fire it, thinking it would explode in my hands into a hundred pieces! :lol:
At least it would give you something to do putting all those lego blocks back together!

Imagine if you were a crim and go shot by it! On your tombstone it read:

"Successfull bank robber of 20 years. Dodged many a bullet. Finally succumed to Lego. May he rest in pieces".

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm the only guy that ever got passed legislation, when I was a senator, to make sure we eliminated assault weapons. The idea you need a weapon that can have the ability to fire 20, 30, 40, 50, 120 shots from that weapon, whether -- whether it's a 9-millimeter pistol or whether it's a rifle, is ridiculous. I'm continuing to push to eliminate the sale of those things. -President Joe Biden at a town hall meeting 7/21/2021

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Horrible precedent IMHO

Next headline "Gun Manufacturers go bankkrupt as they hand out compensation to all the victims of The American Civill War, World War i, World War II, Vietnam, etc, Victims of all Criminals, Criminals shot by Police, descendents of all the Native Americans shot in the West...."

How stupid can you get. Are knife manufacturers going to pay all the victims of knife stabbings?

The gun is a tool. Like any tool what it's used for depends on the owner and they are soley responsible for the use or abuse. If someone goes crazy and stabs someone with a broken lemonade bottle, are lemonade manufacturers going to pay compensation to victims for making the bottles?