2nd monitor

camfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone been able to split BI onto 2 seperate monitors? I have 50 cams now and can't really see them properly - I have to double click the camera in order to have a decent view. A 2nd monitor would sort this problem out.
Thanks for a great forum

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, to the forum. There is no easy way to do this (i would email support and as if he would implement dual monitor support in the future) in the meantime, you can move some of the cameras to desktop, right click on the camera and select open in desktop window and move some cameras over to the second extended display.

camfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I have done that and it works. Only trouble is it looks a bit "messy". Have sent Ken an email requesting this for future developments.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two suggestions for you.

1. Set up the displays in Windows as being exactly side by side (Best if the displays are the same vertical resolution), and use Blue Iris in windowed mode, stretched horizontally to fit across both screens. There will likely be some cameras split between both screens this way though, and full screening one cam will put it in the worst possible location.

2. Get a big 4k monitor. Seiki still makes the most cost-effective one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXF7I9M/ Note however that this is first-generation 4k technology and the contrast is a poor, the refresh rate is only 30hz, and there is significant input lag. Further, a lot of older PCs can't output 4k resolution. Despite all these limitations it still isn't a bad choice for security camera monitoring.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

camfx

n3wb
Reaction score
Got 8 monitors and not one is the same unfortunately - so that option wont work here. Thanks so far

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as a program is single window, then higher resolution is the way to go. Easiest is a large 4k display / TV (a tv 4 times the size of the avg 24" 1920x1080 screen should yield the same pixel size and viewing comfort) which will quadruple the resolution of the screen that you are likely using, so you can fit four times as much in. The crop of 4k screens are a bargain compared to some professional hi-res displays.

Or as Nayr also suggests, have two screens of the same resolution and via software span both, so it gets treated as a single extra wide screen. They don't have to be same brand & model, afaik, but it's been a while that I've looked at that option.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The new update addresses some of the dual monitor issues..
3.63.00 - October 11, 2014
  • This version expands upon the ability to run the console without admin privileges. When you do this, you must enter a valid user/password combination from the Options/Users page. The session will be logged and will be restricted to view the camera groups specified. The login may also be restricted by schedule.
  • It is now possible to open multiple cameras into a single desktop window which will be referred to as a "frame" window. This will make it much easier to work with multiple monitor layouts--you can drag and resize the entire frame rather than individual camera windows. You can drag and drop images between the main window and a frame window, or between frame windows, or between the desktop and a fame window.
  • There is a new button at the bottom of the main cameras window to the right of the group selection box. This button can be used to open the entire group into a frame window. Note that while a camera may belong to more than one group, it may only appear in one frame window at a time.
  • The size and position of all frame windows should be maintained across console sessions.
  • Several camera/frame/group settings have been moved from the admin area of the registry into the user area, allowing for these to be modified by non-administrators. These include window layout settings, so these may now need to be re-adjusted after this update.