3/4” vs 1” schedule 40 electrical conduit

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve been working on how to run cable outside my house And above ground. So I cut five short pieces of cat6 cable (I’ll run 4 to 6 cables) And stuck them in the 3/4 inch schedule 40 electrical conduit (90°) from Lowe’s and then in the same type of conduit in the 1 inch variety (45°). Would’ve use the same degree elbow but they didn’t have the 90, 1 inch.

Five cables is not going to work in the 3/4 inch conduit — it’s just too tight in real world conditions. You could do it but it would be hard. I’ve read that you shouldn’t have conduit more than 40% full and you shouldn’t have more than 270° of total bend in your run. I will have more degrees of bend that in my total run so I will be installing electrical conduit boxes to break the run up And so I can pull it in segments.

The picture show you probably what you need to know. When I pull mine I will also use the conduit gel to make it easier.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Five cables is not going to work in the 3/4 inch conduit — it’s just too tight in real world conditions.
I would agree.
I’ve read that you shouldn’t have conduit more than 40% full....
Some of that is based not only on making it easier (possible) to pull in another cable in the future but also has to do (when speaking of higher current-carrying cables and wiring) with the de-rating of the cable's current carrying ability based on ambient temp and even if cables are not single phase. That being said, the first part of that is ample justification, IMO, to not exceed the recommended fill.

I’ve read that......you shouldn’t have more than 270° of total bend in your run.
Also because of not only making pulling the existing new cables easier but also because of the prospect of pulling in a future cable. I think you're smart not even approaching that by having boxes and/or condulets installed to break that up. Condulets cost more but "hide" better than boxes but either way....good move. Personally, I never liked pulling past more than 2 each 45's in a run if it was a l-o-o-n-g pull. But I understand sometimes one doesn't have the luxury of being able to hide them or the budget. But if you have room for them and the money...put 'em in.

Conductors, conduits and the statement "...aw, I'll never need another one, got all I need" don't go together, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@TonyR - good stuff. Thanks for the lingo. That makes it helpful in searching for the stuff. I guess links from Lowe’s app don’t work to put on here :idk: . Think I’ll need to go to a speciality store to find all the fittings i need for 1”. Luckily, 2 lines will split off for my tv area and then I’ll go down to 3/4” and then maybe to 1/2” once it is just one line left. Cool

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @iseeker

Looks good!

I used 3/4"-1"+ depending on the number of cables I ran, always running N+1+ to each location. ( helps prevent those cat vs parrot issues .. Cat vs parrot;)

They also sell cable lube to help with the pulls - and definitely have someone help out to keep the cable from kinking when pulling the cable.

Remember when the conduit is in the heat, it may droop so remember to properly secure it with supports regularly.

Reaction score
I went with simple metal 3/4" EMT instead of PVC. I was concerned about the drooping aspect as time goes on. However, in my wood shop, I have 6" PVC for dust collection. Love the stuff :)
If there is a strong need to run cat5 or cat6 is a nearly full emt/pvc conduit, can always consider wire lubrication or household dish washer to get that sucker in there. Consider this an emergency situation as there is a probability of damaging the existing cables (more lube, the better).
** ever watch them make PVC pipe? We have a Cantex facility here (TREX manufacturing too, for patios) that I've worked in. Pretty mesmerizing how that stuff comes out :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If there is a strong need to run cat5 or cat6 is a nearly full emt/pvc conduit, can always consider wire lubrication or household dish washer to get that sucker in there.
I highly recommend to NOT use dishwashing soap; there's a reason why there's a liquid specifically designed to be used as a wire-pulling lube.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about painting the conduit? I’ve read many different opinions. The most credible seem to be:

A) lightly sand, wipe with acetone, prime, then paint with exterior grade paint
B) don’t do A. Only use something like krylon fusion for plastic.

B would seriously limit my aesthetics/WAF since was planning on painting the same color as my exterior trim.

Any experience?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about painting the conduit? I’ve read many different opinions. The most credible seem to be:

A) lightly sand, wipe with acetone, prime, then paint with exterior grade paint
B) don’t do A. Only use something like krylon fusion for plastic.

B would seriously limit my aesthetics/WAF since was planning on painting the same color as my exterior trim.

Any experience?
A-definitely.