3 locations setup

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for all the information you've been sharing around here. It's been very useful for my research lately.
I'm running a small business spread over 3 sites and it so happens that I'm forced to put some cctv recording in place doing to some unfortunate recent events.
At the moment I've got some IP cameras connected to the internet on each site which I've been using for live viewing purposes only so far. (3X Hikvision DS-2CD2745FWD-IZS on each site)

What do I need:
-720p or 1080p footage;
-to be able to store recordings from all 3 sites in one place;
-to be able to watch all cameras live from all 3 sites in one place/app;
-to be able to view all the recordings from all 3 sites in one place/app;
-the managers on each site to be able to watch live feeds ONLY from the cameras on their specific site and access their recordings as well;
-some users on each site to be able to live view only the cameras on their specific site.
-to be able to remotely troubleshoot most of the issues on each site.

What I've thought about:

EQUIPMENT ON EACH SITE:

3x Hikvision 2CD2745FWD-IZS PoE powered
Cisco Catalyst 2960-24PC-L PoE switch (keep in mind I won't be paying for these as I have 4 of them laying around from an older project);
Cisco 1921/K9 router (keep in mind I won't be paying for these as I have 4 of them laying around from an older project);
APC UPS 950VA AVR IEC;
A small PC connected to the internet both trough the Cisco Switch and a 3G/4G USB stick in case the main Internet connection fails;

CONNECTION:

I was thinking to set a VPN up on top of the internet connection; VPN to which each site (including the central site) to connect;
Can that be done only with my routers or do I need some other equipments, such as a Forti?

CENTRAL SITE:

Here is where I'm not sure what should I do yet.
Initially I was thinking about a 16 or 32 channels NVR, but basically there's no room for growth with such an NVR in case I get too rich and I expand to 50 sites (LOL)
That's when I've heard about FreeNAS.
I've read quite alot about it but I'm a bit confused at the moment if my cameras are capable to record straight to that NAS or not.
Besides that, I'm still not sure if this FreeNAS can set those user/site access limits.
What a decent hardware configuration for that NAS would be in order to store 30 days for 9 720p/1080p cameras?

I know the easy way would be to just pay someone who knows how to do it, but I am really willing to learn and do it with my own hands.
Besides that, my country is filled with so called professionals having no idea what they're doing and asking for loads of money.
So, paying someone to do it for me isn't an option.
Please tell me, am I missing anything crucial in my config? Do you think is it possible to set such layout up?

Please excuse me if any mistakes may have occured but I ain't no native english speaker.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you for all the information you've been sharing around here. It's been very useful for my research lately.
I'm running a small business spread over 3 sites and it so happens that I'm forced to put some cctv recording in place doing to some unfortunate recent events.
At the moment I've got some IP cameras connected to the internet on each site which I've been using for live viewing purposes only so far. (3X Hikvision DS-2CD2745FWD-IZS on each site)

What do I need:
-720p or 1080p footage;
-to be able to store recordings from all 3 sites in one place;
-to be able to watch all cameras live from all 3 sites in one place/app;
-to be able to view all the recordings from all 3 sites in one place/app;
-the managers on each site to be able to watch live feeds ONLY from the cameras on their specific site and access their recordings as well;
-some users on each site to be able to live view only the cameras on their specific site.
-to be able to remotely troubleshoot most of the issues on each site.

What I've thought about:

EQUIPMENT ON EACH SITE:

3x Hikvision 2CD2745FWD-IZS PoE powered
Cisco Catalyst 2960-24PC-L PoE switch (keep in mind I won't be paying for these as I have 4 of them laying around from an older project);
Cisco 1921/K9 router (keep in mind I won't be paying for these as I have 4 of them laying around from an older project);
APC UPS 950VA AVR IEC;
A small PC connected to the internet both trough the Cisco Switch and a 3G/4G USB stick in case the main Internet connection fails;

CONNECTION:

I was thinking to set a VPN up on top of the internet connection; VPN to which each site (including the central site) to connect;
Can that be done only with my routers or do I need some other equipments, such as a Forti?

CENTRAL SITE:

Here is where I'm not sure what should I do yet.
Initially I was thinking about a 16 or 32 channels NVR, but basically there's no room for growth with such an NVR in case I get too rich and I expand to 50 sites (LOL)
That's when I've heard about FreeNAS.
I've read quite alot about it but I'm a bit confused at the moment if my cameras are capable to record straight to that NAS or not.
Besides that, I'm still not sure if this FreeNAS can set those user/site access limits.
What a decent hardware configuration for that NAS would be in order to store 30 days for 9 720p/1080p cameras?

I know the easy way would be to just pay someone who knows how to do it, but I am really willing to learn and do it with my own hands.
Besides that, my country is filled with so called professionals having no idea what they're doing and asking for loads of money.
So, paying someone to do it for me isn't an option.
Please tell me, am I missing anything crucial in my config? Do you think is it possible to set such layout up?

Please excuse me if any mistakes may have occured but I ain't no native english speaker.
Freenas wont work.
Take a look at nx witness. Nx Witness VMS