3-Series (3B46/3B86) for License Plate Recognition (ANPR)

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if someone has used DS-2CD3B86G2T or DS-2CD3B46G2T cameras for License Plate Recognition?

These more affordable 3-series cameras boast specifications similar to Hikvision 7-series ANPR cameras. For instance, the 3B46/3B86 cameras features:

• 4/8 MP
  • Varifocal lenses
  • Large Focal Length >16mm
  • P-Iris
  • 1 s to 1/100,000 s shutter time
  • 1/1.8" image sensors
  • IR (infrared capabilities) - Darkfighter
  • Water and dust resistant (IP67) and vandal-resistant (IK10)
  • Auto Network Replenishment (ANR)
  • PoE

While I believe they meet the physical requirements (hardware specs) for ANPR, they lack embedded AI algorithms and software tailored for this purpose.

In recent years, I've utilized iDS-2CD7A26G0 and iDS-2CD7A46G0 for ANPR. However, their performance fell short of our specific needs. Consequently, we've disabled Traffic and AI capabilities, opting for line crossing Smart Event functionality and implemented our own algorithms and APIs for license plate detection.

Cheers

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

Serie 3 cameras are nothing but mostly serie 2 with HEOP option. You do have possibility of importing HEOP LPR application, but its not easy as it sounds. Hikvision LPR application source will be hard to find. If you do find it let me know :)

In recent years, I've utilized iDS-2CD7A26G0 and iDS-2CD7A46G0 for ANPR. However, their performance fell short of our needs

I didnt have any problems with them if they are installed properly using installation manual. Capture error was within device specification ~2%. Care to elaborate what downside was?

There's iDS-TCM403-AI. And this is also something that can be talked about. Doesn't necessarily needs to be better in regard of capture rate but does have more functions. But its not "more affordable" as you seek.

Cheers

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you the answer @trempa92

Currently, our AI processing is conducted in the cloud, utilizing a listening server for image processing on Azure. While we have plans to transition to HEOP in the future, at present, we find the cloud setup effective.

Our interest in HEOP stems from its potential to further reduce costs, especially by enabling AI predictions on the edge. As we progress, our intention is to move in that direction.

Regarding my inquiry about 3B46/3B86, my interest lies in the image quality for extracting license plates. I see potential for these models as the hardware is akin to dedicated ANPR cameras. We recently bought a 3B46. I hope to share the results soon.

Given our budget constraint of USD 300 for a camera, options such as iDS-TCM403-AI are not feasible, considering their similar price range to iDS-2CD7A26G0 and iDS-2CD7A46G0.

Now, concerning the accuracy of the Hikvision ANPR embedded algorithm, our specific industry is mining and construction. We exclusively employ this capability for trucks transporting bulk materials, leading to frequently encountered dirty and deteriorated license plates. In light of these conditions, we rely on our AI processing to effectively capture exceptions. And since plates are located on the doors of the cabin and/or side of the dump box, we require to install at least 4 cameras, hence the low cost requirement.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In that case theres nothing wrong with models you suggested, even tho there are serie 2 models that are even cheaper that are 1:1 with this serie 3 camera. Serie 3 cameras are nothing but serie 2 meant for projects, and are not really possible to order at hik without presenting a project. They are better in durability.

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Great!

Unfortunately, I was unable to locate any 2-series models with a substantial focal length exceeding 16mm. While the DS-2CD2647G2-LZS and DS-2CD2646G2-IZS come close in terms of hardware specifications, their maximum focal lengths are 9mm and 12mm, respectively. Although they may suffice for short distances and regular vehicle monitoring in parking areas, they might fall short for more distant surveillance needs.

paulpeter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
the 3 series camera is good enough for the ANPR function since Hikvison has already support the ANPR function in 3 series in some East Europe countries.
And the 3 series model also support HEOP which means there are more hardware resoucees (ram, flash) inside the 3 series camera which will be great if you plan to porting your ANPR algorithm to the edge side compare to the 2 series camera.