$329 LaView LV-KN988P84A4 Premium IP Surveillance System 8 Channel NVR + 4x 2MP

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't know about price cos I'm UK but it's a decent system but restricted to 1080p, so ideal for most but not us tinkerers!

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't know about price cos I'm UK but it's a decent system but restricted to 1080p, so ideal for most but not us tinkerers!
Care to explain it's limitations. I'm in a rather goofy situation. I saw this deal the end of last year, jumped on it because I wanted a decent IP system. We were in the middle of a remodel and somehow the cameras somehow walked -_-.

I now have the NVR from this system and a purple drive I also purchased, but no cameras. I'm joining this forum as I'm now ready to purchase replacements and get the system up. I was looking at getting Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I. Are these compatible with this NVR? It's my understanding that the entire system was a rebranded Hikvision.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually now I've read the tech specs a bit better I'm less sure. It says 3MP recording and Hikvision don't make an NVR that does upto 3MP only.

Have you got the spec sheet that came with it? What does it say under recording resolution. That's the key bit.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
I unfortunately do not, it was in the box that vanished on me.

Here's what's listed on NewEgg
[FONT=&quot]8CH Realtime NVR[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Connectable to network cameras with up to 5 Megapixels resolution.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Support live view, storage and playback of video at 5 Megapixels resolution.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 built-in PoE network interfaces are provided.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Up to 4TB capacity for each disk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Realize instant playback for assigned channel during multi-channel display mode.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Digital zoom in live view and playback mode.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8CH simultaneous playback at high resolution.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Customization of tags, searching and playing back by tags.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Searching record files by events (alarm input/motion detection).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HDD quota management; different capacity can be assigned to different channel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 SATA interfaces available.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dual system design ensures high reliability and stability.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 self-adaptive 10M/100M/1000M network interface.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IPv6 is supported.[/FONT]

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's the NVR Spec: http://www.laviewsecurity.com/files/specifications/Specification Sheet LV-N9916C6E.pdf

Recording resolution 6MP / 5MP / 4MP / 3MP / 1080P / 720P / VGA / 4CIF / DCIF / 2CIF / CIF / QCIF
(the link you provided and the item linked in the OP are not the same device)

From your link: Incoming bandwidth 100Mbps

4x 2mp cameras should be at Incoming Idle bandwidth ~60Mbps.

I am not an expert on NVRs but this is my understanding: I think the incoming bandwidth is the key defining factor on NVRs. You could have 8 cameras of various MP ratings, set appropriately to create less than 100 Mbps and the NVR should handle it. Or you could have 2 cameras creating the same amount and adding more would tax the NVR beyond proper function.

You just need to get some LaView/Hikvision IP cameras and you can still connect them to this NVR.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
That's strange, I took the model # from the NewEgg and it matched the LaView page. Either way, thank you for the info. So it's your impression that this unit is limited to 100Mbps? Is there a calculator or formula to play around with to determine the usable cameras. I intend to start with 3-4 but would like to upgrade more so I need to plan on how to stay under the 100Mbps threshold long-term.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are incorrectly calculating bandwidth...it will be no problem.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4x 2MP is about 10Mbps to 20Mbps depending how you've set the max bitrate.

If those are the correct spec for the NVR then it supports 4MP cameras no problem.

jdougal

n3wb
Reaction score
I think as frankred stated, those are the wrong specs. The page on Laview's website links to the incorrect manual and spec sheets for the NVR of that package. I haven't been able to find the model number or specs for the one used in this package.