360 degree dome cameras...

cahiatt

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've got a Foscam that died and is in an area where I'm using three of them to cover different spots. I was considering something like an Axis 0556 series that is a fixed 360 degree dome but can supposedly output different feeds based on different viewing points. Was hoping I could use one of these to replace the three Foscam cameras.

Anyone used something like this on Blue Iris and how did it work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've got a Foscam that died and is in an area where I'm using three of them to cover different spots. I was considering something like an Axis 0556 series that is a fixed 360 degree dome but can supposedly output different feeds based on different viewing points. Was hoping I could use one of these to replace the three Foscam cameras.

Anyone used something like this on Blue Iris and how did it work?
You can really use it as blue iris cannot dewarp...you will get a much better result if you use 3 fixed cameras from hikvision for about 150 each.

cahiatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't gotten too deep in the camera documentation but they seem to indicate the camera itself can output fixed streams that are already de-warped for third party DVR. Something like four or five separate streams and you can PTZ them like a regular camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten too deep in the camera documentation but they seem to indicate the camera itself can output fixed streams that are already de-warped for third party DVR. Something like four or five separate streams and you can PTZ them like a regular camera.
Then blue iris should be able to pull those dewarped streams just fine. Ask them if they have a demo online to test.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I too would be interested to know if this works, as I have been trying to find a solution/option for this!

If you get a sample unit and/or demo of something that actually works in BI, please let us know!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ultrawide fisheye lenses are pretty terrible anywhere other than on the roof inside a commercial facility.. the wide angle results in ultra low pixel density; even when dealing with 12MP+ UHD cameras.. you wont identify a human being more than a dozen feet away, and combined with the itsy bitsy aperture from the wide angle the low light performance is even more terrible.

if you own a 7-11 and want to put one over each isle of product; with people's faces being a couple feet away its fine.. once you stick it outside on a wall, the majority of the image is the sky you cant do anything about; and you better hope someone comes up and spoons the camera like a lover so you have any hope at identification.

fenderman's right, install more cameras and fucking forget about this garbage.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
ultrawide fisheye lenses are pretty terrible anywhere other than on the roof inside a commercial facility..
Pretty much spot on! These are only good to act as an activity monitor. We have one mounted 22' in the air at our families brewery just to watch over the production area. It is basically only a liability camera in the event an accident were to occur. Also it does not feed into the main DVR that all the security cameras are on as it uses it's own software to dewarp and view individual streams (that's what happens when someone else other then me orders camera hardware), regardless though it serves its purpose, but see the tops of someones head isn't going to do much for "security". So as noted mult times above, if you want to truely use these cameras/views to monitor and ID a possible individual its better to setup proper cameras.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If your budget allows for one of those Axis fisheyes do yourself a favour and get 3 of the Dahua HDW5231R-Z starlight turrets and don't look back. Seriously.

@zero-degrees I don't know which is your family's brewery but thank you for your service. :)