365 days of saved video/ audio help

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to maintain 24/7 365 days of audio/ video for 5-6 cameras. 15fps, 2-3mp.

My issue is how to decide saving so much data. The options I’ve thought of are below. I’m asking what you think would be the best choice.

Option 1, Raid 1 drive setup for the video. This will give me some redundancy if there is drive failure. The issue is the expense of such a large raid enclose with drives is $10k. I would use Western Digital Purple Drives to save the video.

Option 2, Raid 5 drive setup. This will allow me to buy less drive space. Rebuild can take while if there is a drive failure. Again, I would use western digital purple drives.

Option 3, Use western digital purple drives for immediate 30 days of saved video. Then use blue iris backup feature to save 365 days of footage on cheaper backup drives. This is probably the most cost effective option but maybe not the best.

I’m open to any other suggestions anyone may have.

I currently have 35 cameras with 30 days of backup on WD purple drives. I’m using BI on an I7 machine. Only 5-6 of these cameras will need 24/7 365 saved video.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would not bother doing RAID. I also would not want BI doing the spooling. That would be constant moving data for 35 cams, no?

How about running a script once a week that would pull off a week at a time to a NAS or large disk array?

Have you worked out how many TB will be needed for 365 days for 35 cams? I have 22 cams running 24/7 and 30TB gets me about 2 1/2 weeks of video. Maybe only record the substream for less storage space needed?

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not bother doing RAID. I also would not want BI doing the spooling. That would be constant moving data for 35 cams, no?

How about running a script once a week that would pull off a week at a time to a NAS or large disk array?

Have you worked out how many TB will be needed for 365 days for 35 cams? I have 22 cams running 24/7 and 30TB gets me about 2 1/2 weeks of video. Maybe only record the substream for less storage space needed?
I’m sorry, I reread my original post. I have 35 cameras now. Only 5-6 will need to save that much video. At 2MP I need about 60-70TB of space.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Is redundancy of the stored clips a rule or your responsibility? Either way I think I’d go with RAID 5 with 1or 2 spare drives, only reason I would do it this way is to make my life easier as you can leave BI to manage the data and replacing a disk would take minimal effort.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
im wondering why my IP cam with a 1/2.8 inch sensor is much better with night time image quality than my PTZ with the 1/1.8 inch .

Also tried AI coding and still not getting any video with the direct IP PTZ cam live feed. Does make AI IVS Harder
All FFLs (firearm dealers) in California starting Jan 1, 2024 must follow this new for audio/ video recording.
Wow :oops::oops::oops:

It strikes me the California Law Makers aren't aware how difficult it will be to store that amount of video. I foresee lots of unusable video because the dealerships turn the bitrate down as low as possible to fit as much video on the storage devices as they can.

There's a calulator in the Tools section that allows you to estimate how much storage you will require. Note it over estimates in my experience as compression has got better with modern cameras. That said, better to have too much storage than not enough. Might even be worth exceeding what it recommends. Remember with any kind of RAID arrangement that mirrors drives, the mirrors don't contribute to the overall size of storage as they contain duplicate copies of the primary drives so your target size needs to be the primary drives then doubled for the mirrors. I'm not sure what the best way to configure BI is in this scenario whether to have it record direct to your NAS device or whether it would be better to have it record to the BI internal drive then move files to NAS for the required time. Generally moving files is a bad idea as it takes CPU cycles but then again not recording direct avoid issues with data base corruption. Either way, I think I'd be buying or building a powerful and reliable PC to allow for longevitity and the ability to move large files should it be recommended to you that you take the record and archive option. I'd also make sure I use good network cable and high speed for the connection between the BI pc and NAS device as moving large files takes bandwidth.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

It strikes me the California Law Makers aren't aware how difficult it will be to store that amount of video. I foresee lots of unusable video because the dealerships turn the bitrate down as low as possible to fit as much video on the storage devices as they can.

There's a calulator in the Tools section that allows you to estimate how much storage you will require. Note it over estimates in my experience as compression has got better with modern cameras. That said, better to have too much storage than not enough. Might even be worth exceeding what it recommends. Remember with any kind of RAID arrangement that mirrors drives, the mirrors don't contribute to the overall size of storage as they contain duplicate copies of the primary drives so your target size needs to be the primary drives then doubled for the mirrors. I'm not sure what the best way to configure BI is in this scenario whether to have it record direct to your NAS device or whether it would be better to have it record to the BI internal drive then move files to NAS for the required time. Generally moving files is a bad idea as it takes CPU cycles but then again not recording direct avoid issues with data base corruption. Either way, I think I'd be buying or building a powerful and reliable PC to allow for longevitity and the ability to move large files should it be recommended to you that you take the record and archive option. I'd also make sure I use good network cable and high speed for the connection between the BI pc and NAS device as moving large files takes bandwidth.
Republik of Kalifornia .. I am certain they are aware .. making it hard to be a pro 2A in that State ..

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is redundancy of the stored clips a rule or your responsibility? Either way I think I’d go with RAID 5 with 1or 2 spare drives, only reason I would do it this way is to make my life easier as you can leave BI to manage the data and replacing a disk would take minimal effort.
So far I am preparing based on what the law says. We probably won’t get the regulations till December or January.

With any other FFL violation, we run the risk of having our FFL shut down. So backup/ redundancy is important.

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I used the calculator and need about 60-70tb of space. I will probably build out to 80TB. This is where I just can’t decide my next step.

I like the idea of blue iris backing up to a RAID 1 or RAID 5 setup. I want hot swap capability for either way. RAID 5 will be cheaper but if there are two drive failures I’m screwed.

Obviously RAID 10 would be best case scenario but that’s gonna be a lot of drives.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far I am preparing based on what the law says. We probably won’t get the regulations till December or January.

With any other FFL violation, we run the risk of having our FFL shut down. So backup/ redundancy is important.
Thanks @Peter Schumacher

seems like Democrats in control of the republic of Kalifornia is attempting to basically ban guns without officially saying they are.

1698245534159.png

What I would try :

Main Video recording storage : 2 mirrored systems ..
then after video over say 1 week old .. perhaps less or more .. then move to cooler storage ( RAID 5 ) .. jez do you need mirror raid 5 systems ?? or is a "best attempt" or something like that good enough

man, this is potentially going to hurt a lot of smaller FFLs ..

Peter Schumacher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also plan to build a new computer. My machine does great but I have a feeling it will start to show its age.

Planned purchase
I9
128gb Ram
Graphics card that will help BI

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I also plan to build a new computer. My machine does great but I have a feeling it will start to show its age.

Planned purchase
I9
128gb Ram
nice specs .. still seems like it could be over kill for most BI users ..

Reaction score
Since you are building a new computer, you might consider keeping the first one and get a second BI license. @bp2008 does this for redundancy. Forget what I said in my earlier post. I did not realize the gravity of your situation.

I would bet that they will also reserve the right to come in and inspect the system to try and trip you up to kill your FFL. So your idea of having more storage than you calculate would be smart.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Planned purchase
I9
128gb Ram
Unless the "overlords" give such a mandate about frames per second, you could always drop the FPS down to 4 or 5 FPS so save on storage.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless the "overlords" give such a mandate about frames per second, you could always drop the FPS down to 4 or 5 FPS so save on storage.
looks like they've covered that issue:

"Senate Bill 1384 outlines specific standards and parameters that digital video and audio surveillance systems must be able to comply with. For example, the law specifies that the surveillance systems must maintain a frame rate of no less than 15 frames per second, display the date and time, be equipped with a failure notification system, and that all recordings must be stored in a secure manner for authorized users only. "

Ouch, this will not be a quick setup for many FFLs ..

26806. (a) Commencing January 1, 2024, a licensee shall ensure that its business premises are monitored by a digital video surveillance system that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) The system shall clearly record images and, for systems located inside the premises, audio, of the area under surveillance.
(2) Each camera shall be permanently mounted in a fixed location. Cameras shall be placed in locations that allow the camera to clearly record activity occurring in all areas described in paragraph (3) and reasonably produce recordings that allow for the clear identification of any person.
(3) The areas recorded shall include, without limitation, all of the following:
(A) Interior views of all entries or exits to the premises.
(B) All areas where firearms are displayed.
(C) All points of sale, sufficient to identify the parties involved in the transaction.
(4) The system shall continuously record 24 hours per day at a frame rate no less than 15 frames per second.
(5) The media or device on which recordings are stored shall be secured in a manner to protect the recording from tampering, unauthorized access or use, or theft.
(6) Recordings shall be maintained for a minimum of one year.
(7) Recorded images shall clearly and accurately display the date and time.
(8) The system shall be equipped with a failure notification system that provides notification to the licensee of any interruption or failure of the system or storage device.
(b) A licensee shall not use, share, allow access, or otherwise release recordings, to any person except as follows:
(1) A licensee shall allow access to the system to an agent of the department or a licensing authority conducting an inspection of the licensee’s premises, for the purpose of inspecting the system for compliance with this section, and only if a warrant or court order would not generally be required for that access.
(2) A licensee shall allow access to the system or release recordings to any person pursuant to search warrant or other court order.
(3) A licensee may allow access to the system or release recordings to any person in response to an insurance claim or as part of the civil discovery process, including, but not limited to, in response to subpoenas, request for production or inspection, or other court order.
(c) The licensee shall post a sign in a conspicuous place at each entrance to the premises that states in block letters not less than one inch in height:

“THESE PREMISES ARE UNDER VIDEO AND AUDIO SURVEILLANCE. YOUR IMAGE AND CONVERSATIONS MAY BE RECORDED.”

(d) A licensee shall, on an annual basis, provide certification to the department, in a manner prescribed by the department, that its video surveillance system is in proper working order.
(e) This section does not preclude any local authority or local governing body from adopting or enforcing local laws or policies regarding video surveillance that do not contradict or conflict with the requirements of this section.