3666-EMP (and 4104-KSL) - Monitor Vacant House

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Long time no visit. We have recovered a property which is now vacant. Because of the grief involved I need to quickly smash up some surveillance. Ordinarily I'd grab the necessary from Andy, but I don't think I can wait... even for DHL.

- 3666. Local installer/suppliers, who are proving cagey to deal with, all seem to be peddling "3666". Getting info from that point on is like pulling teeth. So not having the sub-variant confirmed, these would be IPC-HDW3666-EMP somethink somethinks. Does anyone have commentary? I'm particularly interested in whether the Ai features are running on-board or require internet bandwidth... and of course, the night time performance.

- 4104-KSL. Also, a little NVR to run two or three of them has been proposed as the 4104-4KSL. Again, and feedback on this baby NVR?

- Dahua DDNS. Lastly, if I were to run Dahua DDNS on a dedicated network, do I open myself to Xi and friends snooping via the mobile app? I am not interested in network security or spying at the remote site. It's vacant.

Please note this is an unattended house without internet, so I will be using a 4G LTE hotspot. I don't believe I can easily set up Open VPN and DDNS on the little Netgear Nighthawk 4G device, but I'm looking at that now. Another option is to run through another device, which would be my fallback if routing through Dahua is rejected.

Everyone loves a pic. I'm planning on installing two cams crossed over where pictured, plus one over the rear yard. The cabling for the latter will be through the house temporarily.

Cheers, Steve
(Australia)
Screenshot 2023-03-31 072252.jpg

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another brainfart I just had was whether it's feasible to skip having an NVR on this site. Using the 4G LTE Mobile Router and ethernet to a router I have lying around, then over the internet to the cams?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another brainfart I just had was whether it's feasible to skip having an NVR on this site. Using the 4G LTE Mobile Router and ethernet to a router I have lying around, then over the internet to the cams?
IMO, too much data from the cams which would have to stream constantly over LTE if you don't have the NVR on-site, best to connect cams to NVR and then connect to NVR via LTE from your remote location when you want to to view an alarm, etc.

FWIW, a 6MP cam with a 1/2.7" sensor won't have very good night time performance. :idk:

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IMO, too much data from the cams which would have to stream constantly over LTE if you don't have the NVR on-site, best to connect cams to NVR and then connect to NVR via LTE from your remote location when you want to to view an alarm, etc.
FWIW, a 6MP cam with a 1/2.7" sensor won't have very good night time performance. :idk:
Thanks Tony.

I was thinking I'd use SD card "edge" recording and just send event footage only over the LTE connection, rather than a 24/7 stream. I have 150GB at no less than 100Mb/s from the LTE service. Still a hard no?

Yeah the security supplier got all evasive when I asked for some night time motion video off the 6MP cams. FIIK why almost every house-basher here is installing that exact camera. I guess the public love them big numbers ;-)

I'll get some 5442T-ZE from Andy.

Cheers, Steve

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've moved discussion regarding the Cam to NVR question here: