3990X & Blueirs thoughts ?

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent choice on the MB! I use their Xtreme version for my 2950X. Tough to beat their build quality. I have to say I'm getting really sad reading this thread - giving me more reasons to justify another build. One of my sons sent me a link about the 3990 about a week ago, taunting me to build one :) So far I have the self control but would love to see your end build. Do you post to pcpartpicker.com?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent choice on the MB! I use their Xtreme version for my 2950X. Tough to beat their build quality. I have to say I'm getting really sad reading this thread - giving me more reasons to justify another build. One of my sons sent me a link about the 3990 about a week ago, taunting me to build one :) So far I have the self control but would love to see your end build. Do you post to pcpartpicker.com?

I have never used the site, Just signed up.. Will give it a shot to possibly even get some ideas. Specially for the cooler thinking to do liquid cooling all the way..

Will message you with the pcpart list .. Also let me know if you have any good Liquid cooler in mind

I am thinking to go with this case

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never used the site, Just signed up.. Will give it a shot to possibly even get some ideas. Specially for the cooler thinking to do liquid cooling all the way..

Will message you with the pcpart list .. Also let me know if you have any good Liquid cooler in mind

I am thinking to go with this case

That's a BIG box :) I used a Corsair full tower case for my Threadripper build but if I were to do it today it would be the Lian Li LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG certificated -White color ---Tempered Glass on the Front, and Left Side. E-ATX ,ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case---O11D XL-W - Newegg.com in white.
I've had great results with the Corsair AIO cooler but it bugs me that I end up ordering in RGB fans to replace to stock ones.
Not many builds to date with the 3990X so you are kind of on your own. pcpartpicker.com may be a good starting point. You can select a specific processor or socket and just look at the builds that they were in.
Good luck - great project!

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been running a 3600, Plex, Blue Iris with 3 wired and 2 cheap wireless outdoor cams, Windows 10, (de bloated, of course) and as my daily driver with NO problems, CPU usage at 31% MAX, that with Firefox, Plex , Blue Iris, Email going.... Windows 10/AMD strong and stable, almost 9 months now. I put it in a Fractual Design R6 box..NO GLASS sides

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a BIG box :) I used a Corsair full tower case for my Threadripper build but if I were to do it today it would be the Lian Li LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG certificated -White color ---Tempered Glass on the Front, and Left Side. E-ATX ,ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case---O11D XL-W - Newegg.com in white.
I've had great results with the Corsair AIO cooler but it bugs me that I end up ordering in RGB fans to replace to stock ones.
Not many builds to date with the 3990X so you are kind of on your own. pcpartpicker.com may be a good starting point. You can select a specific processor or socket and just look at the builds that they were in.
Good luck - great project!
Nice Case, Only thing i Have to keep in mind with the case is I currently have about 6-7 Physical drives in my current case.. Also I might need to add one or two more soon..

1581296497499.png

Why so many drives . ? It is because I am running about 24 cameras rite now.. with 30 days constant loop. Keep in mind those are taking about 30 tb storage.. They are not running on high resolution as my current cpu cannot handle it. So Once I do make this build My plan is to record camera in highest res possible which will also need more drives as more storage space will be needed.

Currently out of all these drives 3 drivers are dedicated.

1 - 12tb
2- 14 tb Which are WD Gold drives.

I might add another 14 or hopefully 20 tb if it becomes available soon :D by the time I am done building.. so that is why I need a case which can support at-least 8-10 drives :D Also if I go water cooling route which I am still deciding which will also take some of those space.. thats why the big case. Please feel free to share any other case here which you think might work better. Oh and it has to be an eye candy too.. LOL

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree an EPYC box with 8 channel memory would probably perform better for a heavy Blue Iris workload. I expect BI to start dropping frames with the 3990x somewhere between 10 and 15% CPU usage. If that happens then other apps with more modest memory bandwidth requirements are going to suffer too. But this is really all just guessing based on my own experiments.

Wild guess, I expect the MP/s limit to be around 3000 to 3500 MP/s. Or in other words about 12 to 14 cameras all running 4K @ 30 FPS, or 24 to 28 cameras running 4K @ 15 FPS.
If it is then I'd suggest it's something to do with the way it interacts with BI rather than the processor itself. Anyone seeing the recent Cinebench tests of the 3990x, knows that the tests it's produced video rendering / encoding beggar belief, with Cinebench tests that out sprint Intel by a considerable amount. Conversely, it's been reported that Premiere Pro works faster on Intel. This would seem to suggest that it's optimisation that's the crux. That said, not many users are going to spend nearly £4k on a CPU and £1K on a MB so I personally see Threadripper as very niche.

It would be nice to see BI Ryzen Optimised though to see if the desktop products can come anywhere close or exceed Quicksync performance especially as Ryzen 4 promises major performance gains again for lower energy usage with mobile chips down as low as 14w and high end desktops I believe promised well under 100w, the exact opposite of Intel which currently is managing to make performance gains but seemingly at a cost of heat and power with the latest chip the 10990xe reported as 380w TDP!

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like, WD recently added the WD 14tb Purple drives only reason I was buying gold was Purple drive earlier was only up to 12tb.. Finally I see one 14tb On WD site directly now.

1581475051825.png

Wanted to share.. it .. Dont know if I missed it all this year or this is fairly new I mean the 14tbs I know I saw 12tb earlier ..

Reaction score
Well, So I wanted to keep everyone posted. Since I can do it and it is probably not most efficent way but I just got the 3990X today. :d will take me couple of months to get it all together need to figure out now which board I am going to go with and Case :D Plus cooler :D but its a go and soon blueiris and plex will be running on it will keep you guys posted as I progress..

View attachment 55290
Stumbled upon some (possibly) bad news for you. Threadripper 3990x brings more CPU threads than Windows Pro can handle (link to another article: The 64 Core Threadripper 3990X CPU Review: In The Midst Of Chaos, AMD Seeks Opportunity) seems even Windows 10 Pro might not understand how to use that number of processor threads (summary: splits it into 2 sockets, 2 CPU groups and implements NUMA limitations even though none of those apply to this processor). You might have to get Windows 10 Workstation because Blue iris might not even be able to use HALF the cores before it hits those limits, or if you go the virtualization route, might have to limit your VMS to 64 threads.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Stumbled upon some (possibly) bad news for you. Threadripper 3990x brings more CPU threads than Windows Pro can handle (link to another article: The 64 Core Threadripper 3990X CPU Review: In The Midst Of Chaos, AMD Seeks Opportunity) seems even Windows 10 Pro might not understand how to use that number of processor threads (summary: splits it into 2 sockets, 2 CPU groups and implements NUMA limitations even though none of those apply to this processor). You might have to get Windows 10 Workstation because Blue iris might not even be able to use HALF the cores before it hits those limits, or if you go the virtualization route, might have to limit your VMS to 64 threads.

I did read that article couple of days ago.. Hopefully OS catches up to the New processor soon Since processor in the desktop world seems to be way ahead of its time. I might will try as the articles states The workstation Edition or Enterprise :D

Source: Anandtech - if you absolutely have to have SMT enabled, then don’t use normal Windows 10 Pro: use Pro for Workstations (or Enterprise) instead

As Long Blueiris can handle the load I am going to throw at, I will be very happy which hopefully it should be able to.. Then on top of that I am not sure How well plex and open alpr will like it :D Will have to find out I guess once the build comes together.

Again I am also hoping in future Application devs will try to take full potential of the processors like 3990x :D Since this will not be the last processor with this many cores / threads :D

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow last night when I said hopefully there might be a future fix possible for this.. for apps / OS to take use of all the cores.. and this morning Techradar just posted this article..

Windows 10 Pro has just received an update which allows it to see the 3990X correctly with all its glorious 128-threads.
So this issue could be in the process of disappearing, anyway, but obviously take that with an appropriate dollop of caution.

Source -
AMD Threadripper 3990X 128-thread monster is too much for Windows 10 Pro to handle

Reaction score
Yeah apparently Toms Hardware was unable to duplicate Anandtech's testing and AMD's official statement to Toms hardware regarding the delta reported by a different tech site, was that Windows 10 Professional or Linux are officially supported and there should be no benefit to using a more expensive version/edition of Windows. This seems to align with your observation (at least post the update). Cool stuff.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Also Updated on the Build Is I think I might go with the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL with All the way thru Water Cooling possibly using the EK-Velocity sTR4 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi waterblock...

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Update on the project got the Lian Li 011 DynamicXL and also got the Corsaor AXi 1600 watt :D PSU

IMG_8543.jpg

2020-03-05 17_01_19-IMG_8548.jpg

Next will be the Motherboard and possibly the cooling which I am thinking 3 360 radiators :D

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is another update finally got the Board and Monitor I wanted. I just hooked up the monitor to the old PC for now. But New Build parts are almost here.

Now I just have to shop for Memory/Liquid Cooling parts/GPU (May even wait for 3080 Want to do two on sli)

IMG_8892.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg
IMG_8916.jpg
IMG_8610.jpg

Reaction score
Nice! Still waiting on my MB & CPU to ship, I’m sure COVID is slowing everything down. Once it arrives I can make a final call on case, power supply, CPU (air for simplicity/reliability) cooler.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice! Still waiting on my MB & CPU to ship, I’m sure COVID is slowing everything down. Once it arrives I can make a final call on case, power supply, CPU (air for simplicity/reliability) cooler.
Nice !! Yes, Everything is affected. I was looking for this particular motherboard for Weeks now. There is non available so Finally found one in Chicago had my neighbor cousin pick it up and ship me ended up costing me About $200 more but It is worth it :D I only wanted this particular board.

I did call the manufacture gigabyte they even said they dont know when the supply will restore for this. Please do share your build once its done would love to see it :D Thank you @crw030

Reaction score
Well it will probably seem pedestrian compared to 3990X, but I went with an EPYC 7302P I got for $650 (saved about $250 on the chip new), slower clocks but 8 memory channels on a Tyan Server motherboard with 4 onboard NICs plus remote management. As far as I know no one is currently running this kind of configuration, so I’ll help figure out how much memory bandwidth matters!

Since @bp2008 tested with his 16-core TR and the CPU didn’t appear to be the limiting factor I’m excited to test out the 7nm server platform. I’ll be able to test 1-channel through 8-channels of memory, and in particular 4-channels is interesting because EPYC has an “economy” server chip with 4 channel memory that might start turning up on the secondhand market in the next year or two.

Might end up being stupid/overkill, but I really wanted the 7nm efficiency, and it’s time to replace my aging 2600k (and due to generation improvements the power draw isn’t drastically different lol). That upgrade and a mess of cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY were my “project” for this year’s bonus.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Well it will probably seem pedestrian compared to 3990X, but I went with an EPYC 7302P I got for $650 (saved about $250 on the chip new), slower clocks but 8 memory channels on a Tyan Server motherboard with 4 onboard NICs plus remote management. As far as I know no one is currently running this kind of configuration, so I’ll help figure out how much memory bandwidth matters!

Since @bp2008 tested with his 16-core TR and the CPU didn’t appear to be the limiting factor I’m excited to test out the 7nm server platform. I’ll be able to test 1-channel through 8-channels of memory, and in particular 4-channels is interesting because EPYC has an “economy” server chip with 4 channel memory that might start turning up on the secondhand market in the next year or two.

Might end up being stupid/overkill, but I really wanted the 7nm efficiency, and it’s time to replace my aging 2600k (and due to generation improvements the power draw isn’t drastically different lol). That upgrade and a mess of cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY were my “project” for this year’s bonus.
Epyc processor are definitely nice !! Specially the 8 Channel Memory. I wish I had that in 3990x. Would love to see your build. Definitely @bp2008 his 3950x gave us the inside on these AMDs on how it can handle the BI load. I think for my load it should be okay or at-least I hope so.

Otherwise I will be doing thru the 2080 or 3080 ti if that's a thing by the time I am ready to build. Yes, I agree with you our system are way overkill LOL but why not LOL we can do other things too on it while BI is running still should have enough to do other task, My current system is so old 980x It cannot even run all my camera at there full potential.

Here is my Loop I am thinking to go with.

Still may change somethings.. in the loop still thinking hard on it..

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Puzzled as to why you'd want such a large PSU unit. You are aware that efficiency is often much lower than quoted figures if the unit is running less than the full load or one of the other test values? Bigger isn't always best. You're efficiency could dip below 60% at the kind of loads you're likely to pull.

You seem to have built a beast of a dream overclocking pc for something that requires only an office grade pc. If you were going to edit video professionally, I'd say totally the right call if you have the money to burn to get fast renders. That is every bit a professional video editor's rig. However, for CCTV it's total overkill and huge excess of expense. About the only justifiable parts are the monitor (huge expense but worth the real estate for a 32:9 aspect) and the WD Purple hard drives. Still it must be nice to have money to burn. I can't even afford a basic system...At least you have no excuses now for not catching your thieves. I can't fault you for that.