3MP @20fps recommendations

Thanny

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new camera setup, and have decided I'd prefer 3MP at 20fps. I can look up such models all day long (and practically have), but I'd like some recommendations from people who have actually used them. Brands I've looked at include ACTi, GeoVision, and Vivotek. I can't say I've ruled out 3MP @15fps, so thoughts on those (e.g. Hikvision and other cheaper brands) would also be useful.

I also need to figure out what I'm going to do about an NVR, so would welcome any opinions on what's best there (standalone cheaper units like Dahua or Hikvision, more expensive like QNAP, or custom PC with some kind of software).

Thanks in advance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My experience with ACTi has been poor, and from what I have read their cameras are not especially reliable. Meaning they fail and need replaced often.

Hikvision cameras can do 20 fps at 3 MP so I would recommend them.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have used ACTi a lot (say 200 cameras) and would not recommend them. I have used Vivotek (maybe 50 of them) and they have been okay and I have no major complaints but they are expensive for not a whole lot of features and rare and buggy firmware updates. I have not used Geo-vision. I have used a ton of Hik (over 200) and over all the others they are now my favorite. I would use those over the others wholeheartedly.

Thanny

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by "2 series"? None of the bullet cameras on Hikvision's site report 3MP@20fps on their spec sheets.

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanny,

By 2 series, you need to understand : 2-Line Network Camera from HIK catalog.

HIK have : 2-Line / 4-Line/ 6-Line etc...

2-Line is for domestic use, so we called 2-series.
2-series exists on 1.3MP and 3MP models. But for the difference on pricing : forget 1.3MP, not interesting at all.

So to conclude 2 series exists in 8 different models : so 8 models 1.3 MP and 8 models 3MP (16 in total)

3MP models jumps up to 2048*1536 at 20 fps max but works at 2MP in Real Time 25/30 fps.

All models are similar, except external design and some variants (Audio/ Alrm in-out / Wifi / IR EXIR).
Other way you will get exactly the same image quality (same specs).

So according to these cosmetics designs, you can choose the ones more relavant for your use for a pricing around $100
A very good choice quality/price...

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For what it's worth, although 20 is "nicer" than 15, you'll be hard pressed to make a case for it from a security perspective. 15 FPS is still a picture every 60 ms. You're unlikely to miss anything of relevance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by "2 series"? None of the bullet cameras on Hikvision's site report 3MP@20fps on their spec sheets.
Ignore the spec sheets...they can do 20fps