4.0 Hikvision NVR Firmware - Corrupted user database

madgino

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Evening,

Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this for me.

I have a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P NVR and upgraded the firmware to V4.1.10 from V3.4.93.

After the upgrade, I was no longer able to log into the box.

All the usernames showed square ascii characters. I was able to see the box using SDAP, access it via the web browser and also have hikvision support in Australia try and reset the password for me remotely by generating a new key and even after setting new admin password I was still unable to login in. The GUID reset would also not work.

It appears the user database was completely corrupt.

I tried multiple times using TFTP and it would connect successfully apply the update and then commence the process again.

In the end, I had to bring it back to the wholesaler who re-applied the original firmware.

I ask if they could tell me the process they used to reload the firmware and he replied back with "it's trade secrets".

Well you can imagine I was pretty pissed after spending all these hours trying to sort it out myself.

So if someone can point me in the right direction of what they performed it would be appreciated.

I can only assume they have used a serial connecting and TFTP but he didn't want to talk about !!

In the end, I was told, this was an Australian model and that I cannot use firmware from Europe or U.S and I need to wait for hikvision Australia to release it to your market.

Cheers,

Frank

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So if someone can point me in the right direction of what they performed it would be appreciated.
In addition to the web GUI and USB and Batch Configuration Tool and ONVIF firmware upgrade methods, which require an authenticated login, the tftp updater doesn't require a logon, and the method they may have used is to connect to the serial console, which again does not need a logon.
Another possibility - and I am guessing here as I have not looked at this firmware - is that they enabled SSH and have the password generator for 'psh' so they can wipe the config at a shell level.
It may be a standard problem with a documented fix.