4.7.0 - March 2, 2018 - MQTT IoT (Internet of Things) protocol

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.7.0 - March 2, 2018 - edited with some additional features added in 4.7.0.1
    • Support for XP/Vista should be once again restored with 4.7.0.1. If you are still using one of these older platforms, it is recommended that you move to Windows 10 or 8.1 this year to retain full compatibility.

• Automatic settings backup at startup to "backup.reg" in the exe program files folder. Backups from two previous days are archived to backup2.reg and backup3.reg. You may disable this feature with a checkbox on the Options page. If you see gigabyte files created, you may be using Kaspersky antivirus, which is notorious for creating large registry entries for unknown purposes.

• Implementation of the MQTT IoT (Internet of Things) protocol. Configure your MQTT server on the Options/Digital IO and IoT page. The software will listen for any topic matching BlueIris/#, currently only BlueIris/admin is implemented. When a message is received on this topic, the message payload is parsed and processed exactly as if it were received via the web server following /admin?. Example payloads are "signal=0" and "camera=cam1&trigger".

• The Eclipse Mosquitto MQTT server was used for testing. It's available from Eclipse Mosquitto.

• The camera Web request alert may now be used to publish to your MQTT server. Select MQTT instead of HTTP and then specify the topic and payload text. If you use a topic of BlueIris/admin you can force a loopback for testing or other purposes.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, the update is running fine for me, but can someone explain exactly how we will use this new MQTT server ? Or is mostly for future software developers. I looked at the Eclipse site as well....still wondering :)

petrho

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, the update is running fine for me, but can someone explain exactly how we will use this new MQTT server ? Or is mostly for future software developers. I looked at the Eclipse site as well....still wondering :)
MQTT is probably the most common ”communication bus” for IoT and now it’s even easier to integrate blueiris with other platforms (for example home automation system)

This is very useful and a lot of people have waiting for this! Thanks Ken!

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
MQTT is probably the most common ”communication bus” for IoT and now it’s even easier to integrate blueiris with other platforms (for example home automation system)

This is very useful and a lot of people have waiting for this! Thanks Ken!
Thanks for the info, please share how you actually use this when the time comes. I do home automation and would like to know what hardware and software this applies to.

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm really excited about the addition of MQTT.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New features added, but many of us are still waiting for the H265 decoding to be fixed that was rolled out in January...
So email support...and keep waiting...he owes you nothing..he didn't have to add any features...it was rolled out on JAN 31's so that is about 30 days since your post (not the implied two months) relax....guess it's easier to bitch about getting new features than emailing support....SMH...

Last edited:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The mqtt function is very nice!
Great add, already thinking for some events that trigger the cmds.
And works with most known home automation sofware.

r34220

n3wb
Reaction score
this version wont start for me (w32). Process starts then ends immediately. I reverted back to 4.6.9.5. Anyone else having an startup issue ?

lawadm1

n3wb
Reaction score
After this update, I can no longer see the "Clips" on my iPhone, or view the cameras. The phone does connect to the webserver, but no clips or cameras when I try to bring them up. Anyone else have this issue? Can I roll back the update?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After this update, I can no longer see the "Clips" on my iPhone, or view the cameras. The phone does connect to the webserver, but no clips or cameras when I try to bring them up. Anyone else have this issue? Can I roll back the update?
yes...you need to run an old update file

lawadm1

n3wb
Reaction score
And how do I run an old update file? It doesn't look like they save anywhere on the hard drive when updating.

lawadm1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I went back to 4.6.9.2 and I still can't see my clips and cameras from the iphone. I'm not sure what happened there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I went back to 4.6.9.2 and I still can't see my clips and cameras from the iphone. I'm not sure what happened there.
try reinstalling the app...also ensure that the user has rights to view recorded video.

lawadm1

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally figured it out. Somehow when I was setting up the new camera, I unchecked "Enable" under the Webcast tab, and then did it for the other cameras as well thinking it was a feature not used. Live and learn.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the = sign is giving problems with mqtt i must add, it does in homeseer automation software.
Other then that its working fine.

jcuccia

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, please share how you actually use this when the time comes. I do home automation and would like to know what hardware and software this applies to.
I'm trying to use it to turn on lights. When triggered, BI publishes to my MQTT server. My home automation software, Home Assistant, monitors MQTT, and in this case, turns on a light (either Hue or Caseta, depending on the camara). The light turns off once motion is no longer detected.

Unfortunately, my BI instance got very unstable with MQTT enabled os it is currently turned off.

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope that we will be alerted when Win XP or Win 7 is no longer supported, as I have no plans on upgrading from Win 7. :)

jcuccia

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to use it to turn on lights. When triggered, BI publishes to my MQTT server. My home automation software, Home Assistant, monitors MQTT, and in this case, turns on a light (either Hue or Caseta, depending on the camara). The light turns off once motion is no longer detected.

Unfortunately, my BI instance got very unstable with MQTT enabled os it is currently turned off.
Here's how I worked around the instabilities with BI and MQTT. First, I disabled MQTT alerts in all camera options and disabled MQTT in Blue Iris Options.

Then I took advantage of the fact that Microsoft includes a native OpenSSH client in Windows 10 and created a one-line batch file that a) logs into the Ubuntu machine running MQTT and b) publishes the appropriate MQTT topic. Here's the batch file:

ssh user@192.168.2.100 /home/user/bin/mqtt_pub blueiris/%1/motion %2

mqtt_pub is a shell script that calls moquittto_pub.

Finally, I set BI cameras to Run a program or execute a script, like so:

When triggered:
File: c:\users\username\tools\bimotion.cmd
Paramaters: cameraname on

After the trigger resets I send
Parameters: cameraname off

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a HikVision Doorbell Cam that I would like to notify my Google Mini's when there is motion to let us know someone is at the front door, has anyone achieved this using mqtt?