4.7.8 - August 28, 2018 - Support for the Nvidia CUDA hardware decoding

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This last build give-me very good result on my hold AMD BI dedicated server…

My CPU usage is 50% lower.

See detail in my signature…

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
YES! Same here. Using integrated intel video, and GPU went from about 3% to about 35% on this latest build update today. CPU went from 75% to 45%. WOOHOOO!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
YES! Same here. Using integrated intel video, and GPU went from about 3% to about 35% on this latest build update today. CPU went from 75% to 45%. WOOHOOO!
are you saying you are using intel quicksync and nvidia together?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, I have only an integrated intel video card on my i7-4790.
upload_2018-8-29_17-27-32.png

upload_2018-8-29_17-28-29.png

I've chosen just "intel" under the options/cameras global setting:

upload_2018-8-29_17-29-30.png

My GPU utilization has never been more than 3% with that turned on. WIth the latest update today, it jumped to 35%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I suppose that's possible, but I've made no other changes. I turned on the Intel acceleration yesterday after the update, and that's when I first saw the GPU go from 0 to 3% but no real decrease in CPU utilization. Today, when it restarted after today's update the GPU jumped.

Perhaps turning on the intel acceleration yesterday didn't actually take full effect until after the BI service restarted with today's update. That's the only thing I can think of since I have literally made no other changes.

Ultimately, I don't really care why, cause I'm stoked - as this is the first time I've had sub-50% in a very long time...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose that's possible, but I've made no other changes. I turned on the Intel acceleration yesterday after the update, and that's when I first saw the GPU go from 0 to 3% but no real decrease in CPU utilization. Today, when it restarted after today's update the GPU jumped.

Perhaps turning on the intel acceleration yesterday didn't actually take full effect until after the BI service restarted with today's update. That's the only thing I can think of since I have literally made no other changes.

Ultimately, I don't really care why, cause I'm stoked - as this is the first time I've had sub-50% in a very long time...
yes, you need to restart the service after enabling HA...you could have been using HA long ago:)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Haha... That's funny. Well, delayed gratification is better than none.

weberbn

n3wb
Reaction score
Long term this is good, but right now its probably not going to be game changing.

XBBONE

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone with Axis camera try turning on Intel Quicksync and see if it is working. Mine never work when quicksync is on. I have to disable quicksync on the Axis.
Can you also try Nvidia CUDA acceleration with Axis camera?
I am trying to figure it out whether there is a problem with the Intel Hardware acceleration.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone with Axis camera try turning on Intel Quicksync and see if it is working. Mine never work when quicksync is on. I have to disable quicksync on the Axis.
Can you also try Nvidia CUDA acceleration with Axis camera?
I am trying to figure it out whether there is a problem with the Intel Hardware acceleration.
ensure you are not using zipstream or h.265

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, any way that AMD's radeon gunna be supported soon too please? Or no?
I am very much happy with this new update tho,

Cheers!

-Boots

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, any way that AMD's radeon gunna be supported soon too please? Or no?
I am very much happy with this new update tho,

Cheers!

-Boots
Highly unlikely... No one here can answer that question for you you would need to email support

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll chime in and say my BI CPU usage dropped from about 20% to about 5% when I enabled hardware acceleration for CUDA. The machine is an Asus Maximus 8 motherboard with a i7-6700K Skylake, 32GB of RAM and video is on an EVGA 1060/3GB card. I'm running nine, 2MP, cameras, 10fps, 4096bps VBR, direct to disk. From what I can see in GPUZ I've still got a lot of headroom left on the 1060. My big question is whether BI will offload to a second, or even third, card since I have multiple cards in the machine. I'll be honest and say I didn't note before and after numbers for memory usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll chime in and say my BI CPU usage dropped from about 20% to about 5% when I enabled hardware acceleration for CUDA. The machine is an Asus Maximus 8 motherboard with a i7-6700K Skylake, 32GB of RAM and video is on an EVGA 1060/3GB card. I'm running nine, 2MP, cameras, 10fps, 4096bps VBR, direct to disk. From what I can see in GPUZ I've still got a lot of headroom left on the 1060. My big question is whether BI will offload to a second, or even third, card since I have multiple cards in the machine. I'll be honest and say I didn't note before and after numbers for memory usage.
Did you try using Intel hd?

Sireone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This last build give-me very good result on my hold AMD BI dedicated server…

My CPU usage is 50% lower.

See detail in my signature…
Wait...Is this 50% lower usage using the Nvidia GeForce GT 710 ?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried the Intel driver, way back, but the board doesn't have onboard video and all I got was a BSOD.

Rob M

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a few problems with the Hardware Decoding...

1) It doesn't seem to work with H265, with H264 it's fine.... if I try H265 it'll just show the color bars and never get an image. (error is "HW Accelerated Decoder Not Found")
2) After several hours of working fine with H264, all the cameras show the no signal screeen and it gives me some "HW Decoding" failure message.
3) This is on my old system with a GTX TITAN on it.... overkill on the GFX card, yes, but i used to play video games.

I guess there are still a few bugs to work out.