4G Solar Powered LPR

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys, I hope you can help me.

Im looking for a 4G solar battery powered camera for lpr usage.

Could you please recommend a brand and model?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't exist....

You would need to make your own.

Here is a thread with links to other threads asking similar and examples of folks making their own...

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
What about one of these Hikvision solar powered cameras?

The technology exists, Flock Safety for example (US based security company) uses solar cameras for license plate recognition: Flock Safety | Flock Cameras
According to this Dissection of Flock Safety Camera – The Center for Human Rights and Privacy Flock Safety uses lithium batteries and LTE cellular modem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about one of these Hikvision solar powered cameras?

The technology exists, Flock Safety for example (US based security company) use solar cameras for plate recognition: Flock Safety | Flock Cameras
According to this Dissection of Flock Safety Camera – The Center for Human Rights and Privacy Flock Safety uses lithium batteries and LTE cellular modem.
Those Hikvision use the ColorVu series, so they do not have infrared or the ability to see infrared, so you would need stadium quality light to get plates at night....and if you had that amount of light well then you would have power close by. It also appears they do not have a varifocal version, so you would have to be within feet of the plate or you won't get it.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night with a 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit with no street lights. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1673351297997.png

Do you wanna pay flock fees? You could make your own for cheaper than the price they charge yearly LOL.

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Those Hikvision use the ColorVu series, so they do not have infrared or the ability to see infrared, so you would need stadium quality light to get plates at night....and if you had that amount of light well then you would have power close by. It also appears they do not have a varifocal version, so you would have to be within feet of the plate or you won't get it.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night with a 1/2,000 shutter and 8 FPS of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit with no street lights. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1673351297997.png

Do you wanna pay flock fees? You could make your own for cheaper than the price they charge yearly LOL.
Thanks for the detailed information!

What about cameras that only work during the day? My use-case (construction) does not require detecting plates at night. What specs (for a 4G/Solar) should I look for?

And yes, Flock safety is too expensive, I wish Hikvision/Dahua/others could replicate their technology.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK daytime only can open up some possibilities, but the big one is how far away from the camera to the vehicle?

Most of the solar cameras are wide angle fixed lens cameras so the IDENTIFY range isn't as great. If those Hikvisions could be within 10 feet of the vehicle and they are not moving fast, that would work.

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
OK daytime only can open up some possibilities, but the big one is how far away from the camera to the vehicle?

Most of the solar cameras are wide angle fixed lens cameras so the IDENTIFY range isn't as great. If those Hikvisions could be within 10 feet of the vehicle and they are not moving fast, that would work.
You are right most of these Solar Hikvision cameras have a fixed lens.

The maximum focal length is 8mm (the DS-2XS6A25G0-I/CH20S40), given my specs and using Lens Calculator I would need to draw the motion or line detection at 37.4 feet. Is this correct?

1674619340272.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah an 8mm in that 35ish foot range is probably doable for the daytime.

If you go that route, please come back to this thread or create a new one to show the results! You have a unique case that an existing camera like this could work.