4MP, 4K Cameras or Neither?

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you planning to or have you already started to widely use 4MP or 4K cameras?

I am seeing an increasing number of 4MP cameras used and some 4K, but significantly less 4K than 4MP.

Curious what you all are seeing.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
4MP is quite common now because Hikvision (and Dahua) on board with them, but unfortunately inferior sensors unlike their 6MP 4-line

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Me personally, I buy 4 MP cameras when I need new cameras, but it isn't a big enough step up from 1080p to warrant replacing existing 1080p cams. 4K might be a big enough step up, but not at the prices they currently demand ($300 is about the minimum for Dahua's cheapest 4K cams, which is nearly 4 times the price of their 4MP cams). Not to mention the added NVR/storage costs for running 4K...

I'm only doing cameras as a hobby / homeowner, not for business.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4MP is the new 1080p, should be standard resolution for most people setting up new systems... 1080p is the old 720p, and 720p is now so bad its worse than analouge.

Technically anything >1080p is considered Ultra High Def (UHD)

4k is 3840×2160, which is still far away from 4MP 2688×1520.. you need 8MP+ to achieve 4K UHD.

prices are not there yet, maybe in another couple years.. h265 alleviates most of the storage issues with UHD so going up a generation wont be a big jump in recording storage requirements.

If you buy a new NVR today knowing whats on the horizon, your wise to get one with h265 support.

I have zero interest right now in 8-12MP cameras for residential use right now, but I am upgrading my fixed cameras to 4MP mainly for the IVS features.. not the pixels, but they are nice too.. these 4MP cameras got faster underlying hardware and that allows for more video processing features like 120db+ WDR, Line Cross, Object Tracking and a better overall feel.. its not a giant leap from 1080p to 4MP but it kinda feels like it.. I think alot of 2MP 1080p cameras were pushing the hardware of the time, they got slow and unresponsive as you cranked quality up... where as these 4MP cameras feel like they have ample overhead to do even more.

I want to see starlight/darkstar cameras with big sensors and great low light to come down to earth before 4k honestly.. I'll buy all new stuff when it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to see starlight/darkstar cameras with big sensors and great low light to come down to earth before 4k honestly.. I'll buy all new stuff when it does.
That would be really cool. But part of me also wants my cameras to be at least the resolution of my monitor.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I run 4MP cameras in the front of the house and 3MP in the back of the house where the range is shorter. Also one Huisun 10X PTV in the front for license plates and another in the rear for a particular area I want to cover.