4MP ColourVu versus 8MP DarkFighter. Help me decide?

GLO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to decide against these 2 Hikvision ip cameras!
1.4MP ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU
2. 8MP Darkfighter DS-2CD2385G1-I?

Both cost the same, but monitoring the sides of the house, (I would have the LED off when using the ColorVu, and have it activated if it detects motion)

Appreciate your (or anyone else's) reply as I plan to order in the next 24hrs!

GLO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Given some recent advice, this becomes the new question!
2. 6MP Darkfighter DS-2CD2365G1-I (20% less cost than the 4MP ColorVu)

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel like we get this exact post atleast once a month. Please use the search bar and you will find numerous other threads that has this exact topic.

And as I told you earlier this morning there's no point in chasing the MP dream. Also if you want a informative answer I would suggest in providing atleast some information or even a few pictures of your desired set up.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Given some recent advice, this becomes the new question!
2. 6MP Darkfighter DS-2CD2365G1-I (20% less cost than the 4MP ColorVu)
I've answered you on the other forum (as JB1970) As coney27 says however - no point chasing megapixels. The only occasion where I'd bother with 8MP cameras is if I was installing in a shop/store with constant illumination or a floodlit external area with even illumination. In those scenarios a high megapixel sensor, wide angle lens gives the ability to zoom to the native resolution and cover larger areas in detail. In a normal domestic environment with low light, uneven illumination/shadow you're going to be disappointed.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
How are you going to turn on the LED if motion is detected? Wouldn’t that be a bit chicken/egg?