4TB Only showing 2Tb, Have Questions

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
Have had Blue iris and all my IP cameras working flawlessly for sometime now but today for some reason I noticed that the storage device I setup is only using about 2TB. Silly mistake on my part! So now I'm forced with probably reformating everything to get full access to the 4TB drive.

I just want to make sure there wasn't any other way to get Windows to see the full 4TB before reformatting.

I've got a Dell optiplex 9020 i7, Windows 7 itself is running off a 128GB SSD and I have a WD Purple 4TB for the storage of my IP Cameras. I've read a lot of forums but it seems that I need to have the WD Drive set to GPT drive. Unfortunately I think it won't work as my understanding is the Bios needs to be set to AHCI mode and it's currently set to Raid. When I make that switch Windows 7 won't boot.

Does anyone know any other way around this or am I forced to reformat. The joy in reformatting is of course my Dell Optiplex never came with a recovery CD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have had Blue iris and all my IP cameras working flawlessly for sometime now but today for some reason I noticed that the storage device I setup is only using about 2TB. Silly mistake on my part! So now I'm forced with probably reformating everything to get full access to the 4TB drive.

I just want to make sure there wasn't any other way to get Windows to see the full 4TB before reformatting.

I've got a Dell optiplex 9020 i7, Windows 7 itself is running off a 128GB SSD and I have a WD Purple 4TB for the storage of my IP Cameras. I've read a lot of forums but it seems that I need to have the WD Drive set to GPT drive. Unfortunately I think it won't work as my understanding is the Bios needs to be set to AHCI mode and it's currently set to Raid. When I make that switch Windows 7 won't boot.

Does anyone know any other way around this or am I forced to reformat. The joy in reformatting is of course my Dell Optiplex never came with a recovery CD.
You are just fine. Leave the system in raid mode.
You can simply reformat the drive.
Also remember that dell will send you the installation media for free overnight on a usb since you have an optiplex. That is one of the benefits of business class over home systems. Furthermore, you can install windows 10, if you wish, using Microsoft's media creation tool to create a USB thumb drive for installation. You can use the windows 7 license key for the install.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This works when changing from IDE to AHCI, should be the same for RAID as long as you have not set up a RAID array.

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Reboot and change the BIOS to AHCI.

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
You are just fine. Leave the system in raid mode.
You can simply reformat the drive.
Also remember that dell will send you the installation media for free overnight on a usb since you have an optiplex. That is one of the benefits of business class over home systems. Furthermore, you can install windows 10, if you wish, using Microsoft's media creation tool to create a USB thumb drive for installation. You can use the windows 7 license key for the install.
Thanks Fenderman,

Are you referring to reformatting the 4TB drive though? I tried that and nothings changed. I've changed the drive to GPT and still it's limited to 2TB.

Phrosty

n3wb
Reaction score
This works when changing from IDE to AHCI, should be the same for RAID as long as you have not set up a RAID array.

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Reboot and change the BIOS to AHCI.
Definitely hasn't been set in a RAID Array. Ill check into this, thanks so much for posting it.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Common occurrence when a CMOS battery fails and set the system back to IDE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score