4tb WD Reds down to about $89 now.......wow

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Geez I wish these were this price when I built out my NAS last year! I guess you can always wait for a cheaper price as it will always go down. Cool to see this finally down to this price level.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get an 8TB WD EasyStore or WD Elements USB external drive for about $150 instead. Shuck the drive from the case and USB daughter card, and enjoy the reliability of a WD Red for a lot less $$$.
True. You're ultimately gambling that's what you'll get though. Lots of success stories online about it for sure. There's also cases where that isn't what they found. And then I also wonder about the warranty aspect of it. If the shucked drive fails and you turn it back into WD either bare or back inside of the case (that has obviously been shucked), what then? idk

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can always put the drive back into the enclosure and return it. I got a bunch of 10TB drive for $150 from best buy.

Reaction score
True. You're ultimately gambling that's what you'll get though. Lots of success stories online about it for sure. There's also cases where that isn't what they found. And then I also wonder about the warranty aspect of it. If the shucked drive fails and you turn it back into WD either bare or back inside of the case (that has obviously been shucked), what then? idk
They've pretty much sold all of the older drives with smaller 64M caches. These days, you're almost guaranteed to get the latest model drive with 256M cache. Unless you go to a brick and mortar store where the drive has been sitting on the shelf for months. I got a pair of 8TB WD Elements for about $135 each last year. They've been flawless since then.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@VorlonFrog Do you have one of those? Was wondering how those would work for storage for a Plex Server for my parents. I use a NAS but don't want to invest that kind of money for them since they aren't that big into media.

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just take them out of the casing and plug them in like normal sata would?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to put some tape over the 3rd pin on the SATA power connector, but ya just plug it in.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's a newer computer (manufactured in the last two or three years) you may not need to tape Pin 3.
Confirming, there was no need to tape when I set one of these up in a new computer I built last February. I researched it a bit, then tested it; works fine out of the gate

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

WTFG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a 10TB WD installed in NVR the drive wont show. i thought it was the 3.3 volt issue but sata cable only has 4 wires so i don't think it even has 3.3 volts
I added a 10 TB security drive last month it worked fine, wont these WD 10 TB drives work on a NVR ?
Its a montavue system that i am sure is dahu

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
What @mlapaglia said. Or clip the 3.3 V wire on the cable. Or get an adapter cable. Any one of those should work.

WTFG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did tape the third trace
Still didn’t work, then taped all three 3.3 traces, still didn’t show drive
I put the usb stuff back on to make sure drive was good, it shows up as a external drive
Running out of ideas.