4XXX-8P-4K2S recently died, looking for more horsepower

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again fellas,

My LeChange converted Dahua 8p 4k2s NVR died over the weekend and am looking for a replacement and a possible "upgrade" in ways performance.

I believe the 5216 will give me what I want, plus having the additional ports expands my headroom for future cams.

Would the N52B2X be heads and shoulders above the 5216?

Input versus the 2 options would be helpful

Thanks much

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, whittled it down to these 2 NVRs

N54B3P
DHI-NVR5216-16P-I

One question I do have though is, will the LPR offering work with my IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E camera I am currently using for LPR via OpenALPR (Would like to rid myself of this monthly fee)

Need 16P due to my currently in-place 8 cameras and the desire to add the LPR to the NVR.

Any advice helps!

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - one option is to run the Dahua OEM software ( SmartPSS iirc ) on a PC and get a PoE switch .. another is to run Blue Iris ..

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do also have a Synology 1621 I could run surveillance station on, but I kinda like the NVR standalone.

My current LPR picks up around 10k plates a week! (Busy street)

It has already come in handy with my neighbors cat converter being stolen off his Prius!

@mat200 , does BI work on Linux?

Thanks for the replies fellas

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do also have a Synology 1621 I could run surveillance station on, but I kinda like the NVR standalone.

My current LPR picks up around 10k plates a week! (Busy street)

It has already come in handy with my neighbors cat converter being stolen off his Prius!

@mat200 , does BI work on Linux?

Thanks for the replies fellas
Hi @d.lux

Blue Iris is a VMS for Windows ..

Synology isn't well liked as an option by members ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you go to BI a member here created a plate reader that works with BI for free.

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I need to verify, but does the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E work with any of the Dahua NVRs that support LPR/ANPR?

Or do I need a new "ITC" cam for ANPR settings/functionality?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Z12E is not an ANPR camera in that it doesn't automatically read and log plates like a ANPR camera does.

But many use the Z12E to visually read plates or use a 3rd party reader like Openalpr to log the plates

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Z12E and am using OpenAlpr to read plates, was hoping to get rid of that service with an NVR upgrade...

I see, looks like just a plain jane NVR for me for the time being...

Thanks for the replies

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah check - I think some of the higher end NVRs can do that without an ANPR camera, but it might be cost prohibitive

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5126 i/l need "ANPR" it appears.

I was looking at the N54B3P as it states -- (Doesn't specifically say "ANPR")

Automatic License Plate Capture
The NVR automatically captures and stores vehicle license plate images from a dedicated license plate capture camera connected to the NVR. During playback, an operator can perform a license plate search by Time and Date to view thumbnail images of all plates captured during the specified time period. License plate capture technology offers effective entrance/exit management, traffic surveillance, and parking lot monitoring¹.

1. The NVR requires a firmware upgrade to enable the Automatic License Plate Capture feature. Please contact Dahua Technical Support for more information about this feature and to obtain the firmware for all Dahua N52/N54 Pro Series NVRs.

Rekor has raised the price on me twice in the last few years and is $8 a month now...I really don't mind spending a little more up-front to trim some fat off my monthly re-occurring subscriptions :)

Or I can simply record the streams and view the footage when needed I suppose :)

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or you can always get the ANPR camera for around $550. I'm still thinking on getting one of those, but I really don't look up that many plates at the moment. Mainly if I get a call from a neighbor asking about "did you see" or if something catches my eye.

Good luck on your decision.

d.lux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the SmartPss tip @mat200

Got me partially back up until I decide on an NVR

I really don't use alerts and prefer to record 24/7

Had a spare 18P PoE switch and re-used my 6TB hdd to get back online :headbang: