5.0.3 - New Edge Vector Motion Algorithm

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watch:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes but I only used motion detection zone and not crossing. And it didn't pick up anything when person walking around and not sue with setting I have.

Are you saying I should have zone crossing as only way to capture what was missed?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Use zone crossing (mult zones) if you have a lot of false triggers for that camera. The video will shed a lot of light on what you're asking, but also take a look at your contrast setting of 33. Try reducing it to 25 or maybe even less...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use zone crossing (mult zones) if you have a lot of false triggers for that camera. The video will shed a lot of light on what you're asking, but also take a look at your contrast setting of 33. Try reducing it to 25 or maybe even less...
ok thanks. with that setting a person was walking around with no alert. That is just odd.

every other camera picked it up.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, if you go to zone B and you haven't drawn anything, then you won't see anything other than your faded zone A. That's normal.
Consider deleting that cam in BI and add a new cam, then be very lenient on the settings for the new cam...uncheck object detection and reduce min obj size and min contrast to lowest settings. Set a make time of .1 secs and uncheck black&white, cancel shadows, etc....make your camera respond to All triggers. Then you can go back and start refining your settings to discriminate triggers.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, if you go to zone B and you haven't drawn anything, then you won't see anything other than your faded zone A. That's normal.
Consider deleting that cam in BI and add a new cam, then be very lenient on the settings for the new cam...uncheck object detection and reduce min obj size and min contrast to lowest settings. Set a make time of .1 secs and uncheck black&white, cancel shadows, etc....make your camera respond to All triggers. Then you can go back and start refining your settings to discriminate triggers.
Ok thanks. I have not considered or tried any of this. I have the basic highlighted and normally it was good enough to at least capture people walking. I am going back to Gaussian for now.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Test your settings always with the test mode (from playback, note that it requires a few seconds of playtime to become active). That way you can tweak your settings to perfection.
It automatically enables all highlighting and masking so that you can understand what the motion detector sees.

Wippie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been able to test tree shades+ clouds + heavy winds, it results in false alerts every few minutes. Zones are not a workable solution in my case. Until BlueIris AI can distinguish tree shadows from people and vehicles, Sighthound is my main security solution for now.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been able to test tree shades+ clouds + heavy winds, it results in false alerts every few minutes. Zones are not a workable solution in my case. Until BlueIris AI can distinguish tree shadows from people and vehicles, Sighthound is my main security solution for now.
Well it isn't that bad for me, yet. I tried to youtube video method and not seeing any improvement. BI just sent out an update with improved/updated Edge Vector Motion Algorithm. Maybe it will help.

scp3000

n3wb
Reaction score
wow no false alerts this morning when I woke up normally theirs quite a few mainly headlights all I had was a cat a fox and my grand daughter coming up the drive and leaving to go to school, when i replayed them an orange blocking then to a nice crisp red box round them very impressed will be interesting to see how this runs all day.

dutchguy

n3wb
Reaction score
What I tried is to just make a copy of 1 camera and enable basic on the original and edge vector on the copy. So I can easily compare the 2 methods. For now, it seems for me edge vector is still missing too many movements of people (it also reduces the false positives).

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What I tried is to just make a copy of 1 camera and enable basic on the original and edge vector on the copy. So I can easily compare the 2 methods. For now, it seems for me edge vector is still missing too many movements of people (it also reduces the false positives).
Same experience here.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree about edge vector missing people; I had a guy come to my front door yesterday that BI missed (with edge vector enabled). I have the most recent update as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, same problem here with Edge Vector enabled. With all Trigger settings the same, Edge Vector is missing people. Switched back to Simple algorithm, which is picking up some shadows but not missing people.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, same problem here with Edge Vector enabled. With all Trigger settings the same, Edge Vector is missing people. Switched back to Simple algorithm, which is picking up some shadows but not missing people.
After NEW update there is no shadows/trees being triggered. Only people. Not bad.

Last edited:

peterfram

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do realize this user base has diverse use cases and needs, but for me personally, I'm kinda disappointed that v5 dev time is prioritizing and fumbling around with yet another marketable motion detection feature over basic under the hood improvements like more modern and better offloads/hardware encoding optimizations etc. Stuff like H.265 decoding and (eventually) hardware encoding using Intel QuickSync would be much appreciated for my use case!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do realize this user base has diverse use cases and needs, but for me personally, I'm kinda disappointed that v5 dev time is prioritizing and fumbling around with yet another marketable motion detection feature over basic under the hood improvements like more modern and better offloads/hardware encoding optimizations etc. Stuff like H.265 decoding and (eventually) hardware encoding using Intel QuickSync would be much appreciated for my use case!
Perhaps you should start developing vms software so then you could decide what is important to you. No one cares about your specific use case. He knows exactly what he is doing and why.

peterfram

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps you should start developing vms software so then you could decide what is important to you. No one cares about your specific use case. He knows exactly what he is doing and why.
Any hard working company would love to hear feedback from a customer about wanted features. My post and the updates I see from Blue Iris itself are positive and professional discourse. It's a perfectly normal thing for mentally balanced people to do.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any hard working company would love to hear feedback from a customer about wanted features. My post and the updates I see from Blue Iris itself are positive and professional discourse. It's a perfectly normal thing for mentally balanced people to do.
If you were mentally balanced you would know that the blue iris developer does not read this forum. You are talking to yourself - now that is imbalanced. Why do you post here rather than email support! The world does not revolve around you and your needs. There many other vms that you should look into, hopefully they will fit your dire need for h.265 intel acceleration. Start researching.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to experiment with the edge vector. I had a couple spider web strands in front of one camera and was getting about 50 alerts a night due to the web moving. I tried edge vector and it jumped up to over 600 alerts last night.

Just because of the level of snark here, the camera is about 250 miles away so I cannot just wipe it away, like with a cloth or something. ;)