$5,000 budget for Car Wash - Please help me spend it

Reaction score
As you can see from above, there are lots of conflicting/contrasting opinions on IPCAMTALK. It is up to you to decide how to proceed. Below are my thoughts/opinions on some of the things posted lately.

That motherboard has onboard video. You do not need the GPU card.

Everyone has there own favorite brand of cams. I prefer Dahua. But I have not bothered to try Hik and lots of folks like them. Likewise with Amcrest.

That NVR linked above is an used NVR. But it is a high end one. I do not know how up to date it is, but make sure if you are going the NVR route, that you stick with the same brand for cams.

I have been running BI on my i7-8700 that I built back in August 2018. I only allow BI to update what is known as latest stable version. I have never, again never, had BI go unstable for me. It has never stopped or slowed down. I have 23 cams recording 24/7 to three 10TB internal WD Purple drives. The only thing running on that server is BI and a net time server. I do not have BI move files around. It writes to the HDDs and deletes as space is needed. Alert images are written to an SSD. OS and BI database is on an M.2 2280 PCI-E drive.

It really is recommended to NOT use WIFI cams.

Make sure you test every cam position PRIOR to running cable and mounting the cam. Use a test rig and walk it day and night to see how well it does.

Do not be married to your initial plan. My current setup (and probably most folk's current setup) is nothing like my original plan.

Last edited:

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a 3rd generation
Fyi - most of us are no longer considering older CPU generations, and looking for gen 6+ for intel i5/i7 CPUs.
I thought about its age, 2014 debut. I looked at benchmarks and it was 92/1300.. Some of the suggestions on wiki are new cpus in top 20! I think being in top 10% of all CPUs is pretty good for surveillance. Worst case, in the future I can upgrade just the processsor while all the other components can still play along. I feel like $300 for the whole kit of parts is a great start. I will be out $700 and in a server chassis which makes out better than what i can chop up off ebay. I think?

energy efficiency
Yes, there is def some energy consumption to consider with this processor...

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most if not all Amcrest are made by Dahua...
I’ve had good experiences with Amcrest. They’ve replaced cameras, exchanged products, and provided firmware updates. They have more features enabled, like snmp than some Dahua models. For home, I now get my cams from Andy, but for commercial installs I prefer Amcrest.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think the math does makes sense to chop up a used desktop and move key components to the other form factor. The fans, power supply, motherboard could be upgraded too.
Got to be careful with mass produced PCs from big integrators like Dell or HP. They often use slightly custom power supplies and motherboards.

That motherboard has onboard video. You do not need the GPU card.
I'm confused. Didn't he buy an old used HEDT board and CPU? There is no integrated graphics on an i7-5960x. It'll still handle all the cameras in Blue Iris without hardware acceleration though, as long as sub streams are used.

Theckie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fixed my post
Thanks for the clarification edit! The motherboard requires a dedicated video card. I want to go with the NVIDIA Turing architecture so maybe a GTX 1650 Super or 1660. With this chip shortage its hard to find these cards under their original $200 price point.

Got to be careful with mass produced PCs
Thanks to this forum/post like these, it really helped me out in sourcing the parts! I believe a word of caution was mentioned in an earlier post about mass produced PCs. That night I went to CL and happened across all those used parts. I cross referenced with the Wikis and ensured it all would fit in the future server chassis.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
ANPR cams better for the car wash, Like IPC-HFW7442H-Z OR Z4
Other place use IPC-T5442T-ZE are good to go. The place will be bit wet, so use full metal model is the best choice.