5.2.4 - March 31, 2020 - AMD/DirectX and D3D11 decoding now supported

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: SEE POSTS BELOW WITH ISSUES

5.2.4 - March 31, 2020
Hardware decoding has been advanced further and the DirectX and D3D11 decoding
options are now fully operational on systems which support this. This provides a way for
those with AMD and those who may have otherwise been unable to use the existing Intel
and Nvidia options to now take advantage of hardware decoding acceleration. You may
select this as a default on settings/cameras, and/or individually on camera settings Video
tabs. Use task manager to monitor GPU utilization alongside CPU and check status/
messages for any initialization issues.
Hardware encoding is out of beta and has been fine-tuned for Intel chipsets. Hardware
encoding may be selected on any encoder configuration page throughout the software, as
from camera settings/record/format.
You may select to “retain” messages sent to your MQTT broker if you are using these for
camera alerts.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I recommend skipping this version.

I installed it and two of my cams which normally work with Intel decoding won't work with it anymore. I can't even change them both to Nvidia decoding because only one of them is working that way (they normally will both work with Nvidia decoding).

The two new decoding options also don't work on my system (i7-8700K + Nvidia GT 1030). One just behaves exactly like no hardware acceleration, and the other fails and disables itself, falling back to no hardware acceleration.

I reverted to 5.2.3.2 which is stable and fine for me.

hex52

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tested this and the results are same as the previous version. GPU utilization and GPU memory dropped when switching all cameras to H.265 like there's no hardware accelleration while CPU doubled.

VLITKOWSKI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tested this and the results are same as the previous version. GPU utilization and GPU memory dropped when switching all cameras to H.265 like there's no hardware accelleration while CPU doubled.
Same here Intel HD630

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Intel still doesn't work for me with H.265 cameras

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
5.2.4.1 fixed the problems I had with 5.2.4.0.

Intel H.265 decoding still just falls back to software decoding. The DXVA2 option silently falls back to software decoding for both H.264 and H.265, whether I point it at an Intel GPU or an Nvidia GPU. Possibly it would work with an AMD GPU, but I don't have one.

D3D11 decoding fails with code -13 and causes the camera to revert to "no" acceleration.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DXVA2 locks up BI and cannot be successfully restarted. Have to manually install an older version to even get back into BI.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DXVA2 locks up BI and cannot be successfully restarted. Have to manually install an older version to even get back into BI.
Same happened to me. But I was able to restart BI after powering off the cam set to DXVA2. Once restarted, added the cam with differ decoding.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another issue on 5.2.4.2 is Nest cam streams wont work. These have never supported acceleration (afaik), so that is already off. They load for a second, then fail, then repeat. Back on 5.2.3.2 works great. I think they also even worked on 5.2.4.1, but I went to 5232 to be safe.

Spuds

n3wb
Reaction score
5.2.4.2 with plain "intel" and H.264 is using the GPU again for me. Previous 5.2.4.0 and 5.2.4.1 were not using the GPU at all for any of the options. This is a nothing fancy system with 6th gen CPU and HD 530 graphics.

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Updated to 5.2.4.2, now Nest cams and some Hikvision cams not working.
I'm not too well versed in this. How do I revert back to whatever is stable?
I am running BITools, if that helps.

Any assistance appreciated.
Thank,
Al

hex52

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same for 5.2.4.3

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not been able to download from that link. I click on the numbers (5.x.x.x) but nothing happens.
Was able to get back to 5.0.8.2. from my original installation.
Nest cams are back .
New versions (.2 and .3) would not allow me to access from our phones, but now can.
All settings were correct on tablets and phones, so I thought it might be something in BI that changed when it was updated.

The issue I'm having now is:
All of the cameras are frozen on my server screen. If I click on them, they go fullscreen and update, but they stay frozen.
They were all live action till the attempted update.
App on phone shows live action of all cameras

The cams are all working, alerts are being added, but are stills.
Server is stand alone and fairly new (2-20). Nothing else is on it, just windows 10pro and the junk that comes with it. And Teamviewer.
Specs:
i7-9700 3.00ghz
32 gig Ram
Win10Pro 64
1TB Drive C
4TB Drive D
6TB Drive E
6TB Drive F

How do I get my live action back on my server screen?
Everything was working very well, lol.

I appreciate all assistance.

Thanks,
Al

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, now I wish I didn't throw out my AMD build :(

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not been able to download from that link. I click on the numbers (5.x.x.x) but nothing happens.
Was able to get back to 5.0.8.2. from my original installation.
Nest cams are back .
New versions (.2 and .3) would not allow me to access from our phones, but now can.
All settings were correct on tablets and phones, so I thought it might be something in BI that changed when it was updated.

The issue I'm having now is:
All of the cameras are frozen on my server screen. If I click on them, they go fullscreen and update, but they stay frozen.
They were all live action till the attempted update.
App on phone shows live action of all cameras

The cams are all working, alerts are being added, but are stills.
Server is stand alone and fairly new (2-20). Nothing else is on it, just windows 10pro and the junk that comes with it. And Teamviewer.
Specs:
i7-9700 3.00ghz
32 gig Ram
Win10Pro 64
1TB Drive C
4TB Drive D
6TB Drive E
6TB Drive F

How do I get my live action back on my server screen?
Everything was working very well, lol.

I appreciate all assistance.

Thanks,
Al
sounds like the dreaded "pause button" is it red ?

Attachments

Smitty Blackstone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Pause button for the win!!

Will look into 5.2.1.4 after I get some more cams up.

Thank you all.
Your assistance has been a huge relief.