5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So run it even though you have no hardware support for it?
You mean hardware acceleration? Yes, and it runs fine. I have a 13 camera setup in my business running BI in a VM there and at home I have a two camera setup running Bi in a VM here.

My business setup has a beefier 9th Gen 16 core CPU. I still only have 4 cores assigned to that BI VM however. That system sits at about 25% CPU usage on average for the 4 cores assigned to the BI VM.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a home automation project that I am planning to incorporate notifications and a feed from Blue Iris. I am planning to take the feed from Blue Iris as that machine is a natural bridge from the network the cameras are on to the network everything else is on.

I'm anxious to start this project but see reccomendations to hold off on trying the dual feed path. I have all Dahua cameras (6 2MP and one 4 MP including audio).

I am looking for recommendations for how long to wait or if there is a milestone for when the dual feed version of BI will become the primary upgrade.

TIA

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Other than some major bugs with the initial release of the 5.2.9.x versions, my system has been stable for the last few releases, no unexpected service restarts, consistent clip time stamps, no crashes on remote access or motion triggers.

Other than a few minor bugs with the most recent versions, related to clip timestamps and playback with overlays, I haven't had any issues since version 5.2.9.9, I'm currently on 5.2.9.11.

Part of the stability came from setting up the substreams within certain parameters mentioned previously either in this thread or other threads. Setting the substream parameters in a way that differs too greatly from the main stream seems to cause odd behaviour.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
My rig handles my 6 2Mp cams without any issues, i5-6500 which idles are around 17% so doubt that adding a 4mp would spike the performance that much.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5.2.9.11 still causing all sorts of issue's for me, on the console, in UI3, and the mobile app. I've got two PTZ's, that flash a green screen every 20 or so seconds in UI3.
Not ready for prime time in the least.
Service still crashing and restarting from time to time.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
5.2.9.11 still causing all sorts of issue's for me, on the console, in UI3, and the mobile app. I've got two PTZ's, that flash a green screen every 20 or so seconds in UI3.
Not ready for prime time in the least.
Service still crashing and restarting from time to time.
You using any sub streams ? Ever since I went back to just using main stream I haven't had any issues like that.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Other than some major bugs with the initial release of the 5.2.9.x versions, my system has been stable for the last few releases, no unexpected service restarts, consistent clip time stamps, no crashes on remote access or motion triggers.

Other than a few minor bugs with the most recent versions, related to clip timestamps and playback with overlays, I haven't had any issues since version 5.2.9.9, I'm currently on 5.2.9.11.

Part of the stability came from setting up the substreams within certain parameters mentioned previously either in this thread or other threads. Setting the substream parameters in a way that differs too greatly from the main stream seems to cause odd behaviour.
Are there any guides or tips for setting up the substreams? I found the note to use like config for the substream other than the resolution.
I've always struggled with finding release notes or anything beyond that which is linked to with the question mark on the primary screen.

Thanks again

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

found it - Sub Stream Guide

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks again for the help! It's been running a while now without issue so far!

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone found the url for a stream from BI for the sub stream from the camera?

My cameras are on a different network than the home automation panels that I would like to display a feed from. Basically I want this for the substream

/mjpg/{cam-short-name}/video.mjpg.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@MickPB You can request it like this to get a lower resolution/quality stream.

/mjpg/drive4/video.mjpg?w=640

/mjpg/drive4/video.mjpg?w=640&q=50

However at this time I am not aware of a URL parameter you can add to force it to be transcoded from the sub stream. The latest BI release is currently transitioning from sub stream to main stream within the first few seconds of streaming.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@MickPB You can request it like this to get a lower resolution/quality stream.

/mjpg/drive4/video.mjpg?w=640

/mjpg/drive4/video.mjpg?w=640&q=50

However at this time I am not aware of a URL parameter you can add to force it to be transcoded from the sub stream. The latest BI release is currently transitioning from sub stream to main stream within the first few seconds of streaming.
I can use the full bandwidth for what I am doing but it would be cool to use the low bandwidth feed for remote. It really doesn't matter on the phone or even the tablet screen but I am curious if new development done per a plan or do requests factor in to the prioritization?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The BI developer is well known for implementing simpler feature requests on a very short timeframe if he agrees with the request.

It would be a perfectly viable request to ask for a URL parameter like "sub=1" that you could add to jpg and mjpg requests to ensure that the sub stream (if available) is used as the video source.

In this particular case, it was literally just the last BI update which made jpg / mjpg frames get "sourced" from the main stream. All the other BI releases from 5.2.7.0 through 5.2.7.11 got jpeg frames from the sub stream only (unless a sub stream was not configured of course).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I myself already suggested multiple times that the sub stream could be used exclusively if the width (w) or height (h) URL parameters specified a size smaller or equal to the sub stream resolution. Either he forgot or he didn't think it was worth doing just yet.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Holy crap!! I'm running 13 cameras on i5 6500 8gb ram and using new bi sub stream feature my cpu is at 20% I was running around 45-60 and in addition of deepstack it was hammering it. Not any more.. Awesome!

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm still having weird timestamp issues and 46 day clips. I've re-created the cameras and still this happens.