5.3.6 Firmware

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe picture quality gets better if I could turn up the bitrate. But to do so I would also need faster internet.
My bitrate settings are currently at 6144 kbps, while the max bitrate is 16384 kbps.
But that's a little out of my league right now.
Next year we'll get faster upload speeds :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It improves it a bit, but not whole a lot, it's just a small sensor which has too much noise and detail washed out with NR.

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did reset the cam, and daytime quality was good, even with WDR.
But nighttime, which is most important to me, was bad.
It had a weird noise, surrounding moving objects, without the WDR active. And with the WDR active it was more noisy overall than 5.3.3 firmware.

5.3.3 gives me a very crisp nightpicture!

Is this video with 5.3.6 firmware or 5.3.3? If 5.3.6 would you mind posting a night-time clip of you ordering Thuisbezorgd.nl again but with 5.3.3 for comparison?

Fragmaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have the latest firmware download link for DS-7608NI-E2/8P (POE version NVR)

I am currently using default V3.2.1, build 150304

Last edited by a moderator:

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In nightmode there's this strange thing.
Your picture is either nice & sharp, but blurry when there's motion.
This is with WDR mode 'Off'.

192.168.1.80_01_20151210184759853.jpg

Or it's more noisy & less sharp, like with the 5.3.3 firmware.
This is with WDR mode 'On', value set on '1'.

192.168.1.80_01_20151210184839664.jpg

That's quite a difference right?
For static pictures I would surely go for the WDR 'Off' mode!

But...unfortunately there's a price to pay....
As good as it may look on static pictures, see what it does on motion pictures.
You can see me walking past my car, up to the road, and back.
Look for example at my legs.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?
Or is Hikvision just ignoring the fact that this is not improved image quality?

Dutchie30

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The second video, from an image perspective, looks great. Can you try disabling DNR completely? The leg thing really looks like DNR is doing something funky.

Also, maybe a reboot after applying the DNR settings to make sure it's actually disabled for real.

I'd be very interested to see the results after that.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Disabling DNR will result in much more noise, even though the setting in the second video is only at 10.
I'll make another video tonight to show it.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your moving legs do not have sufficient contrast from the background and therefore the compression algorithm canot diffferentiate them and compresses them as if they were the static background. What is the setting of the video quality in the camera settings? It should be at the highest possible quality in order to reduce the compression artifacts. The disadvantage is the largest video files in the storage.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bitratetype was set on 'Constant', so I couldn't set the video quality.
The bitrate was set on 6144 Kbps, as my internet connection won't allow faster upload speed. (I'll get an ISP upgrade early next year)
Also, the H.264+ compression was active. So I had no control over keyframes and stuff like that.

I'll try some more possibilities tonight.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even if you select constant bitrate, the video quality should be preselected at setting "Highest" and you should see it. If you cannot see the video quality settings, change your bitrate type to Variable and then see if you can select Highest video quality. If you are seeing the camera through your LAN, then your Internet connection is irrelevant. Also can you change from H.264+ to the older H.264? The H.264+ may be more aggressive in the compression.

The visual artefacts you see are due to video high compression and not bitrate.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here it is (settings are in the previous post):

The legs issue is gone, as far as I can see.

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would lower your i-frame interval to 20 so that you are getting 1 iframe per second as opposed to 1 every 3 seconds.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So can you summarize the different settings that eliminated your ... "leg phenomenon"?

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 'leg phenomenon' seems to occur when Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) is set to 10 or higher.
DNR seems to kick in when set to 10, below 10 the noise is just bad as if DNR was turned off.

And the fact that contrast between my legs and the background was too small also makes a big difference.

Summary: I'll stay with the settings from the last video for a week, see if I can get used to the noise.

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why is that?
Image is good as it is.
Rapidly changing video quality benefits from having more frequent i-frames, also if you have any transmission errors or packet loss you have to wait up to 3 seconds for a garbled image to refresh with a new i-frame. If bandwidth is not an issue, I would suggest 1 keyframe per second. Storage increases may vary depending on how much motion is typically in your video, if its lots you wont notice much of a storage bump, but if its little motion you may notice an increase.