5.5.7 - May 12, 2022 Gmail’s OAuth2 authentication

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
5.5.7 - May 12, 2022
Support for Gmail’s OAuth2 authentication. Gmail will be discontinuing the support for
“app passwords” and “less secure apps” at the end of this month. Visit the Settings/Email
page to complete OAuth2 authentication if you are using Gmail for alerts.
A new screen capture option to include a mouse cursor with highlighted clicks. This gives
you the ability to use the software for general screen recording production, as was done for
our Gmail OAuth YouTube demonstration videos.
You may add PTZ preset positions as arguments for firing or skipping individual action set
items. Use the format Pn, where n is the preset number 1 or greater.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
This is wonderful news! :p:D

There are other ways to send alerts, but email is kind of universal.
Now if we could fix the cell company delaying alerts with their spam filters......... I can always hope.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have push set up on my phones, but for IT customers, they are use to email alerts. I'm old, but I still like new things, some people don't.
Just easier for some to keep it the old way. :rolleyes: Don't know what is worse, Dr or Lawyer......

I have been playing with a couple ways to bypass TXT messages, probably the easiest is send an email to an address, then have Thunderbird
forward them to the cell phone. No spam controls that have bothered me yet.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have push set up on my phones, but for IT customers, they are use to email alerts. I'm old, but I still like new things, some people don't.
Just easier for some to keep it the old way. :rolleyes: Don't know what is worse, Dr or Lawyer......

I have been playing with a couple ways to bypass TXT messages, probably the easiest is send an email to an address, then have Thunderbird
forward them to the cell phone. No spam controls that have bothered me yet.
You can also send push notifications directly to the BI app. The downside is if you use vpn you dont see the image and the image is not stored on your device. Once pushover is setup it works beautifully.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also send push notifications directly to the BI app. The downside is if you use vpn you dont see the image and the image is not stored on your device. Once pushover is setup it works beautifully.
I'll have to dig into it a little deeper into pushover. Thanks

That's an idea too, we already have open VPN set up on both the PFsense boxes and the phones, use it for UI3 viewing.

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
This will not work with SMS alerts. It gives an SMTP connect error. Emails go through just fine, but texts will not. Very odd. I had to switch it back to an app password through Gmail to get it working again.

brcarls

n3wb
Reaction score
5.5.7 - May 12, 2022
Gmail will be discontinuing the support for “app passwords”
Would you share a reference for this statement? I cannot find anything online stating that "App Passwords" is being discontinued.

I did receive a notification from google that third party applications can no longer use my google username and password, but no mention of discontinuing the very specific feature they call "App Passwords". 2FA will be required to use "App Passwords".

No doubt OAuth2 is a better solution, but just trying to make sure that I understand the situation.