5.5.9 - June 28, 2022 - “direct to wire"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Green screen on UI3 since 5.5.9.1
I changed GPU HWA on webserver, same issue with intel, nvidia or CPU
I changed profiles on webinterface, resolution, bitrate..

View attachment 132167
The green even goes in between cameras, yikes, that means it is not the fault of BI's video decoder. But it could be BI's encoder, or it could be something wrong with the device you run UI3 on. To know for sure you'd need to try some diagnostic things:

1) Try changing the streaming quality to Jpeg HD to see if that is also affected.
2) Using any of the non-Jpeg streaming quality options, go into UI Settings > Video Player and change the H.264 Player choice to "JavaScript". This requires the UI to be reloaded to take effect.. If the JavaScript player is NOT affected, but the Automatic/HTML5 player IS AFFECTED, then you probably have a bad GPU driver on the PC you're viewing from.
3) Try UI3 on a different device.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
When I had a direct to wire version running I'd get a flash of a green screen on every 4MP camera but it always reverted to normal in under a second or so. Encoding is H264, bit rate 10240, frame and iframe at 15. That did not happen with 2MP cameras at all. The video is being processed on the CPU so it's Intel.

What was interesting is that it only happened if I used UI3 on the BI machine. It did not happen using UI3 on a networked machine like my laptop. I didn't leave that version of BI running long enough to explore what the reason might be due to problems with DeepStack conflicting with how SenseAI is incorporated with that version.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
When I had a direct to wire version running I'd get a flash of a green screen on every 4MP camera but it always reverted to normal in under a second or so. Encoding is H264, bit rate 10240, frame and iframe at 15. That did not happen with 2MP cameras at all. The video is being processed on the CPU so it's Intel.

What was interesting is that it only happened if I used UI3 on the BI machine. It did not happen using UI3 on a networked machine like my laptop. I didn't leave that version of BI running long enough to explore what the reason might be due to problems with DeepStack conflicting with how SenseAI is incorporated with that version.
I also see the green flashing for just a second on just my 4MP cam as well. After that it is ok.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
"1) Try changing the streaming quality to Jpeg HD to see if that is also affected. "

This stops the green screen for me. With 2160p VBR is happens on all my 2MP cameras in UI3 on a networked machine using Firefox Chrome.

Edit: Corrected browser.

Last edited:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ken told me he won't be available for a few weeks starting today, so there probably won't be any more patches any time soon.
I was going to reach for the like button, but that didn't quite seem like the right sentiment. I do hope that he is taking a well deserved vacation, and this isn't due to any health issues or other serious matters. Hopefully in the meantime, lots of progress will be made on the CodeProject/SenseAI side of things that Ken will be able to integrate in when he gets back.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am on Chrome and I also am getting a green screen but it is only when I click on a camera to make it a single camera full screen and it only lasts for about half a second. It does not happen with jpeg HD.

Setting UI Settings > Video Player and change the H.264 Player choice to "JavaScript" makes the green screen stop but there is about a half second delay with a spinning circle when I click to enlarge a camera into single full screen.

VLITKOWSKI

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Issue "green screen" is still the same with 5.5.9.4
It was working with 5.5.9.0.
Dev team, is this issue known ? any fix ?

karlocikovic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was on version 5.5.7.11 and never saw "green screen" on BI app or UI3, until I yesterday upgraded to 5.5.9.4. Green screen is appearing in UI3 no matter if stream to wire is active or not. When switched to JPEG HD quality everything is ok. My cams are 5442 and Reolinks B800. We should wait for fix :)

1658491296235.png

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
In 5.9.9.4 Ken just added a new macro
%017 - percentage of physical RAM in use on the system

Not yet documented in the help pdf.

Reaction score
Intel HWA + direct to wire and Chrome works fine with 0 lag. I have to do testing on mobile, but so far this is awesome.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
In 5.5.9.6 Ken just added a new optional 'Headers' field to the 'Write to a file' action.

Now new files can always have a header. For example, CSV files as shown in the screenshot.
This includes files that are automatically rolled over via the use of date-time macros in the filename (as illustrated in the screenshot).

1659464205007.png

Additionally, Ken has added to these actions an automatic 10x retry on obtaining a handle to the file with a random 1-100 millisecond wait in between each try.
The goal is avoid collisions when multiple 'write to file' actions are attempting to write to the same file. I have observed these events as 'error 32' entries in the status logfile.

The new 'Header' feature is is not yet documented in the help pdf.

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to access the direct to wire encoding WITHOUT the web player? Like in VLC? I'm looking for a URL stream like the following (doesn't actually work tho)

My use case is I am mirroring a few select camera feeds off site (gig symmetric internet, no cap). For a couple cameras, I can just open another rstp feed from the remote install to the camera directly. However I have a camera over a bandwidth limited radio link, and I would like to grab the direct to wire from the BI install.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Getting green screen on UI3 since updating to this version. Eventually after 30 seconds or so, it corrects itself, but whenever I solo a camera/exit solo view, it occurs again. Same when viewing clips too. This occurs on every device/browser, so it's not a local/video driver issue. Does not occur on the console view.
Any fixes for this?