5231- External IR Help

Reaction score
Now that the weather has changed I was going to install some external IR addons and I was hoping to use the pigtail on the 5321R... but I'm not sure if that's possible? Is that pigtail connector powered? If so, what's the correct adapter?

I'm a it stuck as I bought some Y adapter, but I guessed wrong as the external IR and the 5321 both are male...

Thank you for the help. I'm really hoping to avoid having to make any more runs!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd need a PoE splitter. I haven't checked, but I don't think the barrel connector would supply anything usable if the camera is powered with PoE. There's just too much circuitry, regulators, between the PoE and 12 volt input to allow use of the 12 volt input as an output.

If you do use splitters, keep in mind the TOTAL power drawn over PoE on that circuit. Add the power of the illuminator and the camera plus about 10% "SWAG" factor to be safe. That number can't exceed the output capabilities of the PoE source, injector or switch port.

Reaction score
Ahh.. got it. I was assuming (wrongly) that I would just simply connect extrnal IR to that barrel and be on my way. Luckily I started with my most accessible camera and didn't start on the tall ladder ;)

Can anyone provide me a link of the correct splitter I would need?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now that the weather has changed I was going to install some external IR addons and I was hoping to use the pigtail on the 5321R... but I'm not sure if that's possible? Is that pigtail connector powered? If so, what's the correct adapter?

I'm a it stuck as I bought some Y adapter, but I guessed wrong as the external IR and the 5321 both are male...

Thank you for the help. I'm really hoping to avoid having to make any more runs!
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Gigabit-Ethernet-Splitter-TL-PoE10R/dp/B003CFATQK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520804362&sr=8-7&keywords=poe+splitter+12v&th=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been trying to solve the same problem. You're not going to find a splitter that lets you tap the DC voltage while passing along the PoE on the ethernet cable. I had to rig something using a splitter followed by an injector, both rated for 12V DC, plus a DC splitter between the two to create that pigtail you're looking for. Seems like someone should make a single part for doing this, but after days of searching this is the best I could do. Good luck!

UPDATE: This didn't work for me because I've got standard 48v DC on my PoE, and the splitter-injector combination only seems to work if it's 12V the whole way. This means in order to do this, you'd have to be injecting 12V at the switch/NVR end so that no voltage transformation is needed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been trying to solve the same problem. You're not going to find a splitter that lets you tap the DC voltage while passing along the PoE on the ethernet cable. I had to rig something using a splitter followed by an injector, both rated for 12V DC, plus a DC splitter between the two to create that pigtail you're looking for. Seems like someone should make a single part for doing this, but after days of searching this is the best I could do. Good luck!
Oh come on.. really? That is just crazy.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
This thread made me check those ones I ordered and I've found out they DO NOT pass PoE through. Oh well, too late to return them, too.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of these: https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-802-3af-Compliant-100Mbps-Surveillance/dp/B077982XCS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520876784&sr=8-7&keywords=poe+splitter+12v
And
And one of these: https://www.amazon.com/SIM-NAT-Splitter-Adapter-Security/dp/B01GPRLQCC/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520876874&sr=1-8&keywords=12v+splitter

Solves the problem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The only problem with that barrel splitter is the 12vdc power limitation of the splitter. Say 7 watts for a camera plus 6 watts for an IR and that splitter is probably getting pushed fairly hard.

I posted a question on that IR that advertises itself as a "pass through". The seller responded and told me it DOES NOT pass PoE through the ethernet connection. No different than any other splitter in terms of operation. He said the switch would not supply enough power. That makes me wonder just how efficient the splitter might be considering most switches can output between 15 and 25 watts per port.

Thanks for that mini review, looney! I think I'll just pull a second cable through the conduit if I decide to add external IR to my front yard, overview, cameras.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I have one of the BI8 inbound from Amazon.
Bought it because of the 90 degree beamwidth and the range.
Should be in by the weekend, and I'll post my opinion when installed.

RodeoGeorge

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This does not work if you're trying to pass the PoE along the ethernet cable, according to the seller. I've tried using a passive splitter/injector combination, but this doesn't work because it doesn't step the 48v down to 12v. Alternatively, I'd like to use the active splitter you linked to, but I can't find a device that will inject the 12v DC from the splitter back into the ethernet cable as 48v.

The best solution I've come up with is to use an active splitter, then pass the DC along separately, two wires in the conduit. Not really what I wanted, as this means running a lot of additional wire and dealing with the barrel plugs, but in for a penny in for a pound!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This does not work if you're trying to pass the PoE along the ethernet cable, according to the seller. I've tried using a passive splitter/injector combination, but this doesn't work because it doesn't step the 48v down to 12v. Alternatively, I'd like to use the active splitter you linked to, but I can't find a device that will inject the 12v DC from the splitter back into the ethernet cable as 48v.

The best solution I've come up with is to use an active splitter, then pass the DC along separately, two wires in the conduit. Not really what I wanted, as this means running a lot of additional wire and dealing with the barrel plugs, but in for a penny in for a pound!
My suggestion was to put the POE splitter at the location of the cam, then use the Y adapter to power the cam and the IR light with 12vdc.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My suggestion was to put the POE splitter at the location of the cam, then use the Y adapter to power the cam and the IR light with 12vdc.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me. The junction box at the cam isn't large enough to hold an active splitter in addition to the camera's cable connections and all the cable. In addition, the wire run goes past the location of the IR light before it hits the cam by about 20 feet. So I put a larger junction box near the light with the plan of carrying power to cam on PoE. Now that I can't do that, I've got to split at the junction box and run both ethernet and DC power the remaining 20' to the camera. Again, not really what I wanted but oh well.

Reaction score
I've been using a couple of these also, for about 5 months now. Works very well, evenly spreading the IR to cover the corners of my yard. I paid alot less for them back in the fall. Looks like their popularity has caused the price to go up. Go figure.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally had time to install the Tendelux BI8 IR Illuminator.
While it does fill in the peripheral areas, it does not cover as far out as I'd hoped.

Here is a daylight shot of my back yard.

Here is the night shot BEFORE the BI8 was added

And here is the night shot AFTER the BI8 was added.

I'm currently researching a better IR Illuminator

RodeoGeorge

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score