5231- External IR Help

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got two of the CMVision 11 watt models and they've been working fine through this winter. That big one has been up since fall, as well, and is working fine, no lost IR emitters. Bang for the buck, the one I'm using seems to be a decent choice, but as with everything YMMV.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J4K9JS/?coliid=I3TRURPUV2WWVA&colid=3DJ96FH498CMH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it , and it illuminates out to about 200'. There is a bright spot about ten feet out, and it's mounted about six feet above ground level, but it seems to be fairly wide angle as well. Lights up most of the backyard, say 250x250.
Lots of difference between 20 watts and 8 watts, no matter the brand.

I'll try to remember to post a shot of the little 4 watt Tendelux I have tonight.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm spraying my little Tendelux white later this afternoon, what were they thinking making them black? Maybe I'll finally get it installed on the weekend. I want it to provide "fill" light at the far end of a long view. We'll see how it works out. I'm going to soffit mount it and am hoping it will "wash" the area I'm interested in. Problem is a big evergreen and lots of trees. Tough area to monitor from a distance.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got that Tendelux installed and mounted. I used the "strip across the soffit" method but modified that just a little. I cut two, short, extra pieces of 1-1/2" flat aluminum stock and used them to clamp the strip into position rather than silicon or a screw through the flashing lip. The location is on the soffit where it extends past the end of the house to match overhang of the gable end soffit. I was able to get the wiring in with no holes at all, pulled the end piece of soffit and grabbed the wire I had put in from the attic with no problems. I installed a CAT6 at the same time because I want a camera there sometime later this spring.

It is providing fill light at extreme range where I wanted it to, along a property line. Keep in mind the camera is about 120 feet from the light. I'll get some screen captures tomorrow, but unless you look carefully it's hard to see. I'm sure it will illuminate any "target" that wanders into that area though. When the new camera goes in it will provide full area IR lighting, I hope.

My thoughts on the Tendelux versus the CMVision, granted the Tendelux is lower power than the CMVision -
Both are nice little units. They both deliver wide fields of illumination that appears to be pretty even. Bang for the buck goes to the CMVision in my estimation though.
The Tendelux only has four emitters, so if one fails, you lose 25% of the light while the CMVision has at least twenty so if one craps out it might not even be noticed.
The Tendelux comes painted black, not exactly a popular color on the outside of houses. I sprayed mine white to blend better, white soffit, facia, gutter and downspouts. The CMVision comes in white.
The Tendelux does seem to be a metal housing and mounting bracket while the CMVision are all plastic except the mounting plate and gooseneck which are metal.
They both appear to have stainless hardware.
The Tendelux mounting system is a little harder to work with, the screws to lock "pan" are under the light housing and have to be tightened before mounting the light, not even enough room for a right angle driver. The CMVision is fully adjustable with the light, itself, in place.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
A photo of my not so wonderful mounting system. Improvements to be made when I use it for a permanent mounting system are additional spacing under the clamp, shorter clamp length, proper primer for aluminum prior to painting and, of course, proper dressing of the cable in a groove of the soffit. Oh yeah, power wash the whole house.

soffit-mount.jpg