5231rze colour or black/white for night time ?

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
recieved my 5231 today from Andy, great service, 6 days to arrive in uk.

I’ve installed it above front door, picture quality looks great in colour and black white.

Due to lighting around front door I’m not sure if camera will automatically go in black/white mode, all my other cameras have gone into b/w mode this evening but this one hasn’t, Is it worth forcing it to go b/w or leave in colour if camera doesn’t feel the need to switch ?
Image of install location and screen grabs of colour mode and b/w

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ajpepe,

Looks really good in both versions.

Now you want to test it by having someone walk at night around those cars and see how well the camera reacts to a moving person in terms of image quality.

note: You may need to adjust and tune some setting.

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you have enough background light, use colour mode. After adjusting a few settings you got a better view.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with biscuit. If you have good external lighting like you have, stay with color. It is always better for seeing detail. I would go into camera setting and set to force color mode.

Ajpepe72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys, in addition to the two lights by the front door I am planning on adding a led security light towards the driveway entrance end of the house.

Passing cars are a lot easier to identify in colour. I did have a quick play with the Blc and wdr options but both seemed to introduce some noise into the image.

What would be the ‘go to’ settings to have a play with?
I’m really impressed with this camera though, if I go outside it’s really dark but on the camera it’s like it’s just starting to get dark.
I think I’ll be adding another of these cameras to the other end of the house so I can have each one zoomed in a fair bit to cover opposite ends of the driveway.