5442 impossible to correct color balance

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a post several months back (or maybe even a year ago) that was also complaining about color on a 5442. I think he got Andy to swap it out. I'll have to look for it...

Edit, Here it is: 5442TM-AS Day Image Quality Issues

May not be the same issue but worth reading anyway.

Last edited:

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think part of the issue is that big yellow thing in the sky, and part is WDR (set to 10 here)
That big yellow thing in the sky doesn't seem to cause any of my other 5442s to tint yellow all throughout the day, and as I've stated before, I've completely turned any backlight compensation off, and it makes no difference. In comparison, yours looks totally normal for the times of day they were taken - just like the rest of mine.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OP needs to flip out the offending camera with a different one first. There must be a better understanding if it is the camera or the location. That has not been determined yet.
I'd love to, however this one happens to be very difficult to get to. Just trying to rule out software stuff first.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And yet many of us have shared it can be field of view dependent from our own personal experiences...

I do not recall firmware update notes talking about fixing a color balance issue and you could very well create an issue updating just to see...

I would try a factory reset first. 3 times.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm the images you posted appear to be low bitrate and cropped

Can you post a shot of a full size full res image?
What are you using to view/capture the image?

What is your bitrate?
H.264?
Have you tried playing with the WB setting?
I typically add some saturation and contrast to many of my 5442s. The caps I show are running 60 contrast and saturation, 8192 CBR, WDR 10

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
How do I check this?
In bringing up the IR cut filter I was hoping somebody with more experience would run with it. I'll fumble through it the best I can. I've seen two different types of color corruption posted, due a stuck filter. One is a pink image, and the other is a greens-turn-brown image. Your image would fall in line with greens-turn-brown.
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

I have no explanation for the two different types of corruption. Maybe has to do with the wavelengths of a camera's IR light and associated filter properties. How to check for it? One way is to listen for the click of the moving filter when the camera switches between day and night modes. Best done on the bench, but I can hear the click outdoors if its not too noisy. A stuck filter can sometimes be dislodged by tapping on the camera, or by moving a magnet around the lens. With the 5442 in its case I'm skeptical that you could get a magnet close enough to the lens to have an effect. I'm definitely not offering the cut filter as a diagnosis, just something for the list of possibilities.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tested the Dahua 5449 3.6mm F1.0 lens is yellowish.
Change to Yutong 2.8mm F1.0 and it will return to normal.
The set value is the default value.
But 5442 is F1.6 not F1.0.
Unable to confirm the manufacturer of the lenses configured by Dahua.
Because there are three lens manufacturers in China.

aa.jpg

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see the same issue on one of my 5442's, it is definitely a FOV issue as others have stated. Mine varies through out the day
Your not shooting a film that needs to be color corrected, it's a security camera.

Your sample pictures are not of the same FOV, the second shot doesn't show the same patch of concrete.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a color 4x on each side of my driveway and ran into the exact same issue. They are both looking at the driveway, one looks a little east and one looks a little west of course. I found that using a really high bitrate helped along with auto color balance. However, If I go manual, I can easily match them anytime of day.

I originally had them on manual as I am a control freak, but as you noted, you have to keep adjusting all day when they are in manual WB mode.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but unfortunately I'm not able to try any of them because my PoE switch - which is just barely over a year old - decided to completely shit the can and blow its power supply, and since it's the thing that powers all my cameras, my entire system is now offline :mad:

Just outta curiousity, what's everyone using to power their PoE cams? Individually powered? Or PoE switch?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
16 switch POE/POE+ unmanaged rack mountable 300 Watt $99.99 Amazon

I have one iPad on an injector (used as a monitor in the entrance way)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
IIRC, some areas of China suffer a great deal of air pollution and would need a different
"filter color" to compensate for the ambient colors filtering in from the sun.

Like yellow driving/shooting glasses.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but unfortunately I'm not able to try any of them because my PoE switch - which is just barely over a year old - decided to completely shit the can and blow its power supply, and since it's the thing that powers all my cameras, my entire system is now offline :mad:

Just outta curiousity, what's everyone using to power their PoE cams? Individually powered? Or PoE switch?
Stay away from the cheap unknown name POE switchs. Most of them have iffy power supplies.
Stick with the major name brands. I have had excellent luck with Netgears ProSafe line of POE switchs.
Also, the IPcampower switchs get good reviews.