5442 S3 series cams and SMD

1.21 jiggawatts!

Getting the hang of it
Aug 29, 2018
toronto canada
i've setup smart motion detection on a bunch of 5442 s3 series cams and im having an issue where in the recording playback timeline, there are a ton of event markers. in SMD, i've filtered the targets to humans and vehicles. i do get push notifications to DMSS when those targets are picked up and i haven't got any false notifications so far, but in the recording timeline, i get event markers for what seems like any movement of leaves, branches, etc. i know SMD works in conjunction with motion detection, as this is the place where you set your area that is covered by SMD. i would have expected that the filter in SMD would only show human and vehicle events on the recording timeline. is there anything i can do make it that way?

Reactions: Damon
i've setup smart motion detection on a bunch of 5442 s3 series cams and im having an issue where in the recording playback timeline, there are a ton of event markers. in SMD, i've filtered the targets to humans and vehicles. i do get push notifications to DMSS when those targets are picked up and i haven't got any false notifications so far, but in the recording timeline, i get event markers for what seems like any movement of leaves, branches, etc. i know SMD works in conjunction with motion detection, as this is the place where you set your area that is covered by SMD. i would have expected that the filter in SMD would only show human and vehicle events on the recording timeline. is there anything i can do make it that way?

disable SMD / MD - they are toys..
Start using real tools - IVS...

disable SMD / MD - they are toys..
Start using real tools - IVS...

the reason i went SMD is because i was having constant trips with IVS "intrusion". i setup IVS "intrusion" (action: appear) again and this time i set the minimum target size and i don't get as many false alarms. but some weird stuff is happening. in "effective target", "animal" is deselected but stuff like squirrels and possums trigger detection. sometimes, there doesn't look like there's anything there and i get a detection.

the reason i went SMD is because i was having constant trips with IVS "intrusion". i setup IVS "intrusion" (action: appear) again and this time i set the minimum target size and i don't get as many false alarms. but some weird stuff is happening. in "effective target", "animal" is deselected but stuff like squirrels and possums trigger detection. sometimes, there doesn't look like there's anything there and i get a detection.

It is best to not set a min target size and leave it at 0,0.

Once you add a min size, some of the AI is "lowered" and why are are getting squirrels detected. It is best to only add a min size if you are experience false triggers, and in that case you want to make the min size fairly large.

Much better to do the global config.

It is best to not set a min target size and leave it at 0,0.

Once you add a min size, some of the AI is "lowered" and why are are getting squirrels detected. It is best to only add a min size if you are experience false triggers, and in that case you want to make the min size fairly large.

Much better to do the global config.

what min size do you consider fairly large? can you expand on what to do in the global config?

The min size is field of view dependent. Before AI was a thing, I would have someone stand in the field of view where I was wanting alerts and would then draw the min size just smaller than the person.

If you are having issues with IVS, then it is usually trying to do too much with one camera.

For example if you have 3.6mm camera, trying to get IVS to detect correctly at 60 feet is the wrong camera.

Global config is used to "calibrate" the AI on less than ideal installs (usually too high or trying to do too much with one camera).

You take an item of a known length (say 3 feet) and you set it at different points within the field of view and draw a line over it so that the camera gets a sense of what an object 3 feet tall at x feet away would be.

The min size is field of view dependent. Before AI was a thing, I would have someone stand in the field of view where I was wanting alerts and would then draw the min size just smaller than the person.

If you are having issues with IVS, then it is usually trying to do too much with one camera.

For example if you have 3.6mm camera, trying to get IVS to detect correctly at 60 feet is the wrong camera.

Global config is used to "calibrate" the AI on less than ideal installs (usually too high or trying to do too much with one camera).

You take an item of a known length (say 3 feet) and you set it at different points within the field of view and draw a line over it so that the camera gets a sense of what an object 3 feet tall at x feet away would be.
thanks for the info. when i get back to that site, i will try it out.

i had the latest firmware 20240924 from the dahua site installed on the cams. i downgraded to andy's firmware 20240906 on one cam. i'm gonna keep an eye to see if that makes a difference. i disabled min target size. lets see if it was the firmware.

one thing i forgot to ask, when drawing the intrusion detection area, is it ok to draw the line right on the edge of the screen? (detection mode is appear)
Nope, leave some space around the edges. It takes a moment for the object to be detected. Movement toward a boundary and then crossing that line (edge of the box) seems to work best. "Appears" is ok, but I have had better luck with "Cross."

i deleted min size. im also transitioning to using tripwire on problem areas. one thing i noticed, in addition to getting triggers by squirrels, in dmss, when i look under motion detection video under playback, i see events even though SMD and motion is disabled. something leads me to believe the settings are not being applied in the browser. i've also noticed when setting video bitrate values, when i click apply, the values jump around sometimes applying the wrong value.

what browser should i be using? also, is it possible the NVR is changing my camera settings?

Yes

Use IE or at minimum Edge in IE mode

(Pale moon 32 is a decent backup browser, but like others, you may not see certain controls)

Yes

Use IE or at minimum Edge in IE mode

(Pale moon 32 is a decent backup browser, but like others, you may not see certain controls)
yikes. IE probably died before these cams were released. i used edge originally, then chrome and also firefox but the weirdness continued. i wish we could just use a modern mainstream browser. i thought that would have been the case by now, remembering with the old cams we had to use IE or palemoon.

that's what i did. would you believe motion detection was off in edge, chrome, firefox but when i opened it in IE, it showed it was enabled! so i disabled it in IE. i may just end up defaulting all the settings in the cams and start over in IE.
Yep the other browsers will do that lol. It is why we recommend IE!

Reactions: JDreaming
i'm having some major problems with one of the cams, in spite of completely using internet explorer, doing a default, firmware (both files) install, default, default, i still get false alerts and a bunch of ivs recording events in the timeline. what's funny is the alerts to the phone don't match the recordings in the timeline. there's more ivs recordings in the timeline than alerts. i'm using tripwire, no min size. anything from a leaf falling off a tree onto the driveway triggers an alert. SMD and motion is off.

when configuring smart plan under AI, by default, accupic, ivs and metadata are selected. should those be that way? do i have to do anything in metadata?

i'm using firmware version 3.142.15OG001.0.R Build Date:2024-09-06

is there a specific version i should use?

No. You should turn OFF Acupic and use either IVS OR VMetadata.

Metadata is cool, depending on your NVR you get Face detection, human detection, vehicle and non-vehicle detection. These are probably being recorded on your timeline but not enabled for alerts on your phone. (don't think DMSS can even do that for Metadata)

Just listening to you, I think you'd be better off with plain IVS and draw your lines and define whether you want an alert for humans, cars, critters, or both. Make sure each rule you want an alert for is ticked in the Multi-channel alarm area of DMSS

No. You should turn OFF Acupic and use either IVS OR VMetadata.

Metadata is cool, depending on your NVR you get Face detection, human detection, vehicle and non-vehicle detection. These are probably being recorded on your timeline but not enabled for alerts on your phone. (don't think DMSS can even do that for Metadata)

Just listening to you, I think you'd be better off with plain IVS and draw your lines and define whether you want an alert for humans, cars, critters, or both. Make sure each rule you want an alert for is ticked in the Multi-channel alarm area of DMSS

i went ahead and disabled acupic and metadata. a squirrel still triggered my tripwire. is it possible the NVR 5216-ei is doing something because of some setting on the NVR? if you have these cams, what firmware are you running? the dahua wiki firmware site has 230802 as the latest. maybe i should try that?