5v Passive POE not working...can't figure it out.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jtupnsmoke

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive never used one of those flat cables for anything PoE, and I've never tried to send 5vdc more than a couple feet over a 22awg wire.. so YMMV, as apparently it is.

The short cable I tested with is a flat one also. I guess the next step is trying a 50 ft standard cable and see if that works. If not, then that leaves voltage drop. If so, then a bum cable.

jtupnsmoke

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like all of the flat stuff is 30 awg. Guess I'll send it back to amazon and get some regular stuff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make sure its solid copper, not stranded.. nor coper clad aluminum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like all of the flat stuff is 30 awg. Guess I'll send it back to amazon and get some regular stuff.
The description says 32....but I wouldnt trust a damn thing that company says. They stole the description from Cable Matters but failed to remove the reference....

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For a cable that's installed in wall, unterminated cable generally works better, you can drill smaller holes and don't have to worry about damaging the mod plug. Punch it down / crimp it yourself, but practice first you don't want to attempt your first termination up on a ladder.